Dell Inspiron 1150 Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 1150 Laptop

Had this laptop given to me, they said it had a battery problem. Plugged it in, battery and charge light blinked like crazy, hit start button, nothing happened. I jammed the DC connector in with some force, no blinking lights. Hit start, power light came on and computer started to boot. Got the Dell logo and 3 seconds of boot process, and then nothing. After reading a lot, found that the DC jack is a problem on these boards. Got a jack and replaced it, put it back together, plugged it in, no lights, hit the then power button, power light came on for 2 seconds, then off, dead after that, boot never started. Got it back apart now, checking voltage. I've got 19.5v at both outside DC jack pins, 16v at center pin (data pin I think). Checking around the board, I find voltage at ribbon connectors and components, but it's all 16v stuff. This isn't right is it? Don't know what to check next.
    Attached Files

Re: Dell Inspiron 1150 Laptop

Update, since I didn't get any advice, I decided to remove the DC jack again. That's the only thing that's been worked on. I didn't see anything wrong with the solder job, but I had voltage (16v) at the 4 mounting pins, part of the metal wrap around on that jack. According to a schematic I found, they are suppose to be grounds. With the jack off the board, those pins are isolated from everything, no power, no ground. I got 2 of these new jacks, so installed the second one. After soldering it to the boards, those mounting pins have 16v on them again. Must be a screw up board. I found one at Amazon, used, but like new they said, $30. I'll see what happens when it gets here.

Comment

OK, got my motherboard in today. Put my old CPU, hard drive, and memory sticks on it, connected the cooler fan and start button. With just power adapter connected, I hit the start button, Battery light flashes 1 time, then nothing. With battery installed (it won't charge up), I hit start, the power and battery light flash once every 5 seconds, But the hard drive, fan, nothing seems to try to start. Should't this laptop run on the power adapter alone, without the battery even being installed?

Comment

Hi i have the schematics for that board if you want i can email them to you they are pdf form and just over 900 kb let me know and then give me your email address and i will send them.

Comment

Thanks, but I have them. Mostly greek to me. I'm able to follow some of it, but I really don't find voltage points and amounts. This new to me board is not dead like the orginal, but it doesn't want to boot.

Comment

Have you access to another dell that you can test the charger on, or can charge the battery up on. (Does this model have the middle pin powersupply handshake) Check when you jammed in the power plug you didnt snap off or bend the middle pin. Check for continuty on the adapter cable to the powersupply (open it up)

If the old board had stray 16v running around it could it have screwed the cpu?

Try it without hard drive/ memory
            Last edited by selldoor; 08-09-2012, 09:07 AM.
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I have a Dell laptop I use on my job. I tried that power supply, same results. The batterys are different or I'ld switch them.
              Tried to start without hard drive or memory, same thing, the green power light and the amber light blink at the same time, every 5 seconds.
              The cmos battery only has 1.7v, should have 3v, this would'nt hurt anything but the date, right?
              I'm going to leave it pluged up for a while, see if this old battery will charge any at all. But I understand, it should run without the battery.

Comment

Try reballing the ISL6247 chip
                http://nishantpinto.blogspot.in/

Comment

I see that chip ther close to dc power connector. Are you talking about reballing my old board or the "like new" one I bought? Because this one I bought has a 30 day warranty, don't want to heat it up any.
                  I'm going to see if I can get a CPU today, to see if that changes anything.

Comment

What is the voltage given you by the power supply? When its disconnected it should be 19.5, 16 is not acceptable. You sholud have 19-19.5 in your lines after the power jack, before power chips.

Power jack centre pin should be 19.5, outside metal shield 0v-ground. Your black multimetter probe is attached there.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by techboyBG View Post
                      What is the voltage given you by the power supply? When its disconnected it should be 19.5, 16 is not acceptable. You sholud have 19-19.5 in your lines after the power jack, before power chips.

Power jack centre pin should be 19.5, outside metal shield 0v-ground. Your black multimetter probe is attached there.

Regards
                      The 16v is on the data pin.

I think maybe you should try replacing the BIOS battery.

If that doesn't help, there might be a short on a voltage rail somewhere.
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I've got a different motherboard now. This one has 2.9v on that data pin. Would that BIOS battery cause problens other than date memory loss or something. The voltage on it is 1.7v. The battery is maked 3v.

Comment

Originally posted by maybenever View Post
                          I've got a different motherboard now. This one has 2.9v on that data pin. Would that BIOS battery cause problens other than date memory loss or something. The voltage on it is 1.7v. The battery is maked 3v.
                          Seems almost like the chip on the motherboard that reads the data pin has been zapped.
                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

UPDATE Changed out CPU, no help. Got a new battery, laptop booted up and works great. So, to answer my earlier question, will this laptop run without a battery, no. I can take out the new battery, and I get the same two flashing lights. So, it will not operate without a good working battery.
                            A used motherboard $30, battery $20, I'll see how long it runs.
                            Thanks to all for help.

Comment

Interesting thread here.

My 1150 (now 7 years old) was sitting OFF with PS connected for 2 weeks.
                              Hit the start button, just a very short flash of battery- and power LED in the front panel. thats it. So it was all of a sudden, dead.

The LED flashing occurs only if battery is in. Without battery total silence.

checked the power connector and PS..(and middle pin!). All ok

Maybe it really is a battery issue. old battery went dead leaving laptop not-startable.

Would love to get a schematic of the 1150!
                              regards

Comment

Working...
                              X