Data Recovery Question PCIe Samsung Apple SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Recovery Question PCIe Samsung Apple SSD

Working on a data-recovery job on a 2017 Apple/Samsung PCIe blade SSD (from 2017 A1466). Cause of failure of the drive is a shorted controller (S4LN058A01-8030). I am now wondering what the best option to move forward with this one is, and had some questions to anyone who may know more about this:

1. I have a TON of dead SSDs with the same controller IC (S4LN058A01-8030), but I do believe the firmware version is important. Is this correct?

2. When removing the shorted/bad controller, I found the undercoat on the drive PCB was very, very thin and came off VERY EASILY, to the point where I had to apply an entirely-new layer of conformal coat and then scrape away the pads. I'm curious if this thin overcoat may be responsible for the shorting, but I have no schematics or board view fie for the drive, so I can't easily confirm. I plan to try a re-ball of the original controller first, and if that doesn't work, try a different controller. Does anyone know if a board view or schematic for these blade drives exists?

3. Should any controller of the same part number (S4LN058A01-8030) work, or will firmware variances affect functionality? Don't need the drive to work long-term, just well enough to pull the data.

Any insight will be appreciated!

hi, I have the same problem as you,
    the samsung chip heats up and I can't see anything
    you solved?
    I only saw a video on YouTube where they tried to heat that chip

Comment

Working...
    X