MS-6701 OEM for Medion MD5000 aka Titanium MD 8000 XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MS-6701 OEM for Medion MD5000 aka Titanium MD 8000 XL

I have two sticks of 512 MB RAM so I have taken one out and I am running the memtests on a single stick. I do not have another computer that will take the same memory but I can resort to sending it to my brother to test.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi
      There is no provision in this OEM (Medion) BIOS to alter the memory timings.

At approximately 3 PM US CST my sytem had a BSOD and "stop error" with an "IRQ_NOT_EQUAL..." message, so things are not rectified. I am ready to throw in the towel on this motherboard and purchase a more recent one that is directly supported so I can be assured of support and adjustment.
      You shall run Prime95 to test the CPU!

It Prime95 fails, it's definitely time to throw in the towel!
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

the memory tests produced these results;

1. I could run either 512 MB stick in either slot and no errors occurred.
        2. With both sticks in the system errors occurred.

So I can try two things;
        1. Running with only 512 MB to see if I don't have any system crashes. This would take me 2 weeks before I could safely conclude this has eliminated my system crash problems.
        2. Send my memory to my brother, whose system is identical, so he can run the memory test with both sticks.

I will do the later as it is much quicker.

Comment

If you have gotten those bad swissbit trash ram, than i think you can trash it without further examination. Ii you are under waranty, then Medion will replace that crap with nice Samsung tccd like Rams (think they are knowing to sell crap). i have observed very bad experiences with thos cheapo rams from Medion. Even memtest haven´t found any error, but all 3d aps had benn locked up . So after replacing the 9800 gfx i got soome new Ram and ist worked. The service is ivery good from medion in germay, so but the Systems aren`t build to work too long (bad ram, slightly underpowered PSu with bad caps, no case ventilation and high temperatures on HDD, videokart and rest of the system.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
            If you have gotten those bad swissbit trash ram, than i think you can trash it without further examination.....
            I am sorry I don't follow your post other than your point about bad RAM. I purchased the RAM myself and replaced what was originally in the system. I think it originally had a single 256 MB stick and I added another 256 MB right after I purchased the system (Nov 2002) then replaced the 2 x 256 sticks with 2 x 512 sticks about 18 months ago. I only started having the BSODs about 6-8 months ago so I cannot point the finger at the memory especially given the testing I did that is detailed in a previous post. I have been operating with a single 512 MB stick for 2 days and running my CPU at 100% and have had no problems. On Medion's support website they talk about having to use memory sticks that have no more than 16 memory chips

Originally posted by Medion USA support
            Symptoms
            Installing 2GB of RAM (using two 1GB DIMMs of any speed) may result in your system becoming unstable.

Cause
            The motherboard in your PC does not support DIMMs with more than 16 memory chips. The motherboard does not have enough power to drive the signals that operate the memory chips when more than 16 chips are on each DIMM.
            Resolution
            To use 2GB of RAM you will need to obtain 1GB DIMMs with memory chips that are at least 512Mbits (64MB) in size.
            My sticks only have 16 memory chips on them so I should be ok but given the problems and the result of the memory tests I have run I believe I am experiencing the same symptom as what Medion states when using 2 x 1 GB memory sticks.

Comment

i am curious about this ram issue. is there any cap on the board 330uf and above which you did not replace?

the ram worked ok before right, so should again once the issue is solved.
              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Kiwi, GalvanizedYankee here. I signed on here as Galvanized.
                I was having RAM instability when case temps were below 17C (garage office) and realized the 3.3v line would drop to 2.5V when cold. Once the PSU's caps warmed up it was OK. This is not your difficulty ATM Tex but brings me to the point of a VG PSU replacement. There are a number of Enhance units at eWIZ.com that are worth considering.
                http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-EN5240G
                http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-EN5246G
                I realized both might be overkill but Enhance is a VG name in PSUs. For detail spec go to enhanceusa.com. There are others listed at eWIZ.
                I have an old but new 400 watt Fortron that's only been used for bench testing fans. PM me at anand if your interested. $30 shipped.

Good luck on your current problem.
                ...Galvanized

Willawake, if I've fudged on the forum rules, delete as requiored.

Comment

Willawake, if I've fudged on the forum rules, delete as requiored.
                  dont worry. i would also like to see trial of another psu. but anyway i am still confused at the moment with this one. perhaps there is some cap near the ram slots bad? it could be an issue with power to two slots at the same time but i am not sure, any new psu should be able to do that.

anything else you want to sell put it in the for sale section, everything seems to go fast.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                    i am curious about this ram issue. is there any cap on the board 330uf and above which you did not replace?

the ram worked ok before right, so should again once the issue is solved.
                    Yes, there are 2 x 470 uF capacitors (Teapo 16V) that I didn't replace based on what I read in this forum.

Comment

i say replace them. you can use same or 1000uf 16v.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                        i say replace them. you can use same or 1000uf 16v.
                        I will and thanks for your advice. Can you tell me why you think this could be what is causing my memory errors.

Comment

where are they located exactly? in the top half of the board?

in this situation i would replace all caps 330uf and above, in case there is a problem with the caps below 1000uf. personally i believe ram/psu is not an issue therefore the board should either work or not work if the badcaps are removed, not have these kind of issues. if not then try another psu and test your ram on another computer before giving up.

please advise about the replacement caps used though. i am assuming appropriate caps were used.
                          Last edited by willawake; 03-31-2006, 05:35 PM.

Comment

looking at the board as it is in the case, which is mounted vertically, the 2 470uF capacitors are on the lower third of the board. The memory slots are in the upper right portion of the board.

I used Rubycon capacitors, not knock offs either.

I have used three PSUs;
                            1. the original that was in the system when I bought it (FSP250-60MDN). This PSU was definitely going downhill as it was generating copious amounts of heat. When I opened it up it had three bulging capacitors.
                            2. A 250W Channel Well PSU (bought from CompUSA, packaged as Master Power, labelled as Norwood Micro, manufactured by Channel Well Technology).
                            3. An Ultra ULT31840.

I ran the memory tests with the Channel Well PSU, so I will run the test with both sticks of memory in place with the Ultra PSU.

I will send the memory sticks to my brother to test after this weekend.

Comment

the 2 470uF capacitors are on the lower third of the board
                              then they will probably not affect the memory circuits. i think your ram will test ok at your brother's if each stick tests ok by itself but not together. if you get similar results with the new psu then there is a possibility a trace or via on the board got damaged during the recapping. this happens sometimes. its not for the trash though if you can determine which memory configuration with the various slots produces no errors then you will have a stable configuration that you can use.

Comment

I had to get a case fan yesterday so while I was in the computer store I took a look at memory. There were 512 MB sticks of DDR (PC3200/400MHz) for $20, after rebate. I thought, what have I got to loose? I purchased two sticks and ran the memory test for 14 consecutive hours over the evening and this morning.

NO ERRORs!!!!!

I am very happy with this result and will run my system for the next 2 weeks to see if it is stable under Windows. If it is then I will consider my problem solved. The RAM I took out has a lifetime warranty so I will send it in for replacement.

Comment

GREAT news, i am glad it worked out for you.

Comment

Somewhat of a nagging thought is that it could have been a memory problem all along and I went through all the hassle of purchasing and replacing my capacitors for little actual result.

My power supply was definitely in need of replacement so I was glad that came out of this effort.

Comment

if they were badcaps then they wouldnt have lasted forever anyway. now you will be fine for a while.

Comment

three days of my computer running without a BSOD!!!!

I have sent my old RAM to my brother so he can run the memory test on those 2 sticks in his Medion.

Comment

hi guys
                                          was doing a google and came a cross u.

have been looking @ a new PSU for my medion md 8000/MS6701 , current psuFSP250-60MDN-120
                                          is this ok dimension wise
                                          http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=308622
                                          i need extra power so i can attach radeon 9800pro g/card as it needs its own supply.
                                          many thanks

Last edited by realdeal; 05-09-2006, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X