Dead ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming Motherboard

Hello. I am having some trouble with a X299 motherboard. I did some searches and I found very little info about these X299 chipset motherboards. It's a bit strange because they are known to be unreliable and I expected to find lots of posts. So I decided to make a thread and ask the experts for help
    Ok, here is the info I have.
    The board is completely dead, nothing happens when I try to start it up.
    I stripped it down and started measuring. I have 3.3v on the power on switch pin, so that is ok. I also found 1v on a coil near the sata ports and 3.3v on the coil next to the battery. These are all standby voltages.
    I am attaching a picture with the board and the voltages.
    The first problem I found is 0.3v on the vbat pin on the SIO. I checked the battery and it is ok. I also removed the battery and measured the voltage on the + tab on the socket. I also have only 0.3V there with the 24pin power plug on.
    From what I read the battery is supposed to power the ICH chip, so could that be faulty? It's not that easy to reball and solder it back on (I don't have a stencil for it and manually placing balls is not fun) so I would like to be as sure as possible before I go and desolder it.
    I have a pdf schematic file for an ASUS x299 board that is very similar to mine but I can't manage to find "bat" on it. I do get 28 instances but I can't see them, and adobe and chrome crashed several times while trying to scroll the file. It has too many elements I think and it just freezes. How do you guys use these pdf files?
    Attached Files

Re: Dead ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming Motherboard

Ok, so after a bit more measuring and trying to see where else could the 3.3v from battery could be shorted, the voltage began to drop even more. I took out the thermal camera and started to look around the board. I noticed the chipset had like an aura around the die, very faint but it was warmer.
    So I unplugged the board, I put a heatsink on the ICH to cool it down as best as I could, plugged it back in and then measured the voltage again. Now it was 0.5v.
    I removed the heatsink and started heating the ICH and voltage qiuckly went down below 0.3v again.
    So, being pretty sure that the ICH had a short on the 3.3v from battery I took it off. And behold, now I have 3.3v on the battery + tab and on the SIO chip.
    In hindsight I could have identified the resistor that passes the 3.3v from the battery underneath the chip and apply 3.3v there directly. The chip should have heated up pretty quick.
    So guess I was right to suspect the ICH New one is ordered and I will post here after I install it and hopefully have a working motherboard.
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm shocked that they seem to be known for being unreliable!

That's something I would expect on a cheapo socket AM4 motherboard, FFS!
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I mean, that is my opinion based on several friends that had repeated X299 motherboard failures and the amount of bad X299 and older X99 boards I came across on a local site similar to ebay. Like I said, I couldn't find much information on specialty forums so I may be wrong

Comment

Let me help u out a bit here. Since u are sure that u have vbat at SIO to be 0.3v.
          I am amazed u took out the pch by so little info

Comment

Well, what other options were there? The 0.3v were also on the battery tab, so that would indicate a short on a component that was powered by the battery. The PCH is powered directly by the battery. I tried to trace the path from the battery to the PCH using a boardview from another x299 board and a PDF schematic of a ASUS x299 board. All the components were ok. I even desoldered a few resistors that seemed suspicious but when out of circuit they measured ok. And in the end when I saw that the voltage at the battery tab changed with the temperature of the PCH (resistance changes with temperature) I was pretty sure that was the problem. So I took it out and it seems I was right

Comment

... by the way. that doesn´t have to mean that pch is bad. could be the solder balls under it... but its not worth the risk for reballing... are u sure the vbat line starts from there? normally its not the case... it´s connected to a shottky diode at first...

Comment

Working...
              X