Acer AL2423W: Recapped, Still Dead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2423W: Recapped, Still Dead!

I can't answer your first questions yet as I am at work.

But I can answer the rest.

If another pic from this board is correct (from member Tonnes, click to view), the voltages work like so:

1=5v
    2=12v
    3=19v

CNS1 goes to the logic card. It's labeled as having 5v and 12v as seen on the board.

The inverter connects via CNS2 and has no labels regarding voltage. It obviously gets 19v, but unsure about the others.

Will get back to you on with the other questions later today.

Thanks, PB!
    Successfully Saved Various TV's and Monitors from the Landfill:
    Acer AL2423W (Fixed in 2010, Still in use today), Panasonic TH-37PD25 (Twice), Panasonic TC-P55GT30 ($100 CL Score), JVC 27" LCD Television
    Repair Equipment: Fluke 88V, Hakko 936
    Skills: Measure/solder at component level. Light IC replacements (Chip Quik)

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
      ...gets it's collector current through J6, which SEEMS to be attached to pin 1 of IC2. I sketched it in on the first attached drawing, please verify.
      Confirmed.
      Acer AL2423W (Fixed in 2010, Still in use today), Panasonic TH-37PD25 (Twice), Panasonic TC-P55GT30 ($100 CL Score), JVC 27" LCD Television

Comment

Originally posted by CleanSC
        Confirmed.
        Well, at this point I am certain the next step is to replace the TEA1532A (IC2). You should have verified Q4 is not shorted. The SMPS controller is the next suspect.

PlainBill
        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend and PB, hope you enjoyed the fireworks with your new eyes!

Q4 is not shorted. It measures in the megaohms thru all pin combos.

I looked up on Digikey and this is what I think is the correct replacement for the TEA1532A:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...=568-2337-1-ND

Please review that and verify I am ordering the right part. How many should I get? Should I order other potential bad parts while I am here?

I will not have any fun trying to solder that chip in. Think a standard pencil iron is sufficient or will I need something more specializes?

Thanks, fellas!

Comment

I like this how to solder SMD/small chips video ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY

I will not have any fun trying to solder that chip in. Think a standard pencil iron is sufficient or will I need something more specializes?
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Excellent video!

Looks like I have some tools to buy, which I am never opposed to.

I'm eyeballing the Hakko 936 with an assortment of tips. That should do nicely. I've been needing a nice soldering station for quite some time anyway.

Comment

I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend and PB, hope you enjoyed the fireworks with your new eyes!

Q4 is not shorted. It measures in the megaohms thru all pin combos.

I looked up on Digikey and this is what I think is the correct replacement for the TEA1532A:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...=568-2337-1-ND

Please review that and verify I am ordering the right part. How many should I get? Should I order other potential bad parts while I am here?

Thanks, fellas!
                That is the correct part. Buy a couple, they are cheap. I can't think of any other potential bad parts to buy.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Update: Been out of town for several weeks so I had to put this project on a small hold while I collected parts, new tools and supplies.

But....!

SUCCESS!! Nearly 3 months of chasing it down and PB got it!!

IC2 was replaced with a new unit and now we have a live 5v line! The monitor is working great, in fact I am typing this post with it. I had to buy the Hakko station seen above (what a sweet unit, I should have bought one of these YEARS ago). I removed the chip with the Chip Quik SMD Rework Solder/Desolder that stays molten long enough to remove a chip. Worked like a charm, just as shown in the vid.

Why it blew? Who knows. All bigger caps on the board have also been replaced so they should not be a problem in the future. Hopefully the PSU stays good for the long haul. Tonight I will give it a good several hours on to test it out.

PB, I owe ya a cigar.

I got my monitor back, I missed it a lot. The new 23" '09 Sammy was nice but there's just something about this LCD. It's an oldie but a goodie. Owners of these know what I mean.

To all that helped, thanks so much. This board is great and full of knowledgeable guys very generous with their wisdom.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CleanSC View Post
                    Update: Been out of town for several weeks so I had to put this project on a small hold while I collected parts, new tools and supplies.

But....!

IC2 was replaced with a new unit and now we have a live 5v line! The monitor is working great, in fact I am typing this post with it. I had to buy the Hakko station seen above (what a sweet unit, I should have bought one of these YEARS ago). I removed the chip with the Chip Quik SMD Rework Solder/Desolder that stays molten long enough to remove a chip. Worked like a charm, just as shown in the vid.

Why it blew? Who knows. All bigger caps on the board have also been replaced so they should not be a problem in the future. Hopefully the PSU stays good for the long haul. Tonight I will give it a good several hours on to test it out.

PB, I owe ya a cigar.

I got my monitor back, I missed it a lot. The new 23" '09 Sammy was nice but there's just something about this LCD. It's an oldie but a goodie. Owners of these know what I mean.

To all that helped, thanks so much. This board is great and full of knowledgeable guys very generous with their wisdom.
                    Thanks for the thought, but years ago my wife explained in GRAPHIC DETAIL just what cigar smoke does to her ardor. I have no desire to repeat the experience nor replace her.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by CleanSC View Post

CleanSC: I have just the opposite problem, 5V present but no 12V. I saw in one of the posts here that it was proposed that the 5V rail is first to have power, then the logic board turns the 12V rail on. Is that right? I have no 12V rail, and when I power on the monitor, the green LED quickly goes out (~50-100ms).

I also accidentally posted in the wrong thread asking you for a blowup of the speaker wires (broke off at the connector).

Thanks,
                      -Rob

Comment

Grrr, is there any place else to get that TEA1532AT chip? Digi-Key has it marked as 'obsolete' now. Not sure why NXP Semiconductors has pulled the chip from retailers?

Comment

Originally posted by Kridian View Post
                          Grrr, is there any place else to get that TEA1532AT chip? Digi-Key has it marked as 'obsolete' now. Not sure why NXP Semiconductors has pulled the chip from retailers?
                          Available through ebay or futureelectronics.com

Comment

Thanks. Ebay might be the only way to get it as it looks like futureelectronics.com's stock has gone to zero.

I have never desoldered an IC, should I get that ChipQuick alloy or can you do it conventionally?

Comment

What I normally do is take a small sharp pair of wire cutters and cut through each leg of the device. After removing the main chip, take your soldering iron and heat up each leg and remove it with a small pair of pliers. If you don't feel comfortable with this, then ChipQuik is the best alternative.

Comment

Well, I replaced my TEA1532A at IC2 (you know, just for the hell of it) and still get my same flash of light on the right side of the screen and then goes dark. Power button stays lit (green).

Where do I go from here? I had the bad cap problem a while ago and got this thing running again, but then recently it started getting finicky about turning on so here I am. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Well, I replaced my TEA1532A at IC2 (you know, just for the hell of it) and still get my same flash of light on the right side of the screen and then goes dark. Power button stays lit (green).

Where do I go from here? I had the bad cap problem a while ago and got this thing running again, but then recently it started getting finicky about turning on so here I am. Any help would be appreciated.
                                  You can start by providing some good top/bottom photos of the entire power board. Acer is notorious for using different power supplies for the same model monitor.

Comment

I had the bad cap problem a while ago and got this thing running again, but then recently it started getting finicky about turning on so here I am.
                                    1) What did you use for replacement caps?
                                    2) Did you replace all the electrolytic caps on the power board?
                                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Here we go. I noticed the fuse F1 is all white, should it be clear? Retiredcaps, I replaced CS10,CS11, CS12, CS14 & CS15 (all with Nichicons and with their respective uFs).
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by Kridian; 12-24-2010, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I noticed the fuse F1 is all white, should it be clear? Retiredcaps, I replaced CS10,CS11, CS12, CS14 & CS15 (all with Nichicons and with their respective uFs).
                                        Fuses come in all shapes and sizes. A good fuse should measure less than 1.0 ohms.

Capacitors die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm).

Most members here will recommend that you replace all capacitors when fixing a monitor. Your problem could be due to the other original capacitors left on the board.
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Here we go. I noticed the fuse F1 is all white, should it be clear? Retiredcaps, I replaced CS10,CS11, CS12, CS14 & CS15 (all with Nichicons and with their respective uFs).
                                          need photo of the inverter
                                          Al.
                                          Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Working...
                                          X