Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2423W: Recapped, Still Dead!

Here are the pics.

And please disregard the absolute DISASTER that is the ground jumper Quick and dirty.
    Attached Files
    Successfully Saved Various TV's and Monitors from the Landfill:
    Acer AL2423W (Fixed in 2010, Still in use today), Panasonic TH-37PD25 (Twice), Panasonic TC-P55GT30 ($100 CL Score), JVC 27" LCD Television
    Repair Equipment: Fluke 88V, Hakko 936
    Skills: Measure/solder at component level. Light IC replacements (Chip Quik)

Comment

Originally posted by CleanSC
      Here are the pics.

And please disregard the absolute DISASTER that is the ground jumper Quick and dirty.
      OK, this is driving me nuts. According to the datasheet, pin 8 is supposed to be the power pin on this IC. But for the life of me, I can't see where it is hooked up.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to identify which of the possible candidates (cleverly marked a thru f) connects to pin 8.

Good luck.

PlainBill
      Attached Files
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Point D is the only point which shows continuity to pin 8 at .1 ohms. So that's the point you're after.

The last cap came in today. Swapped it, still nothing.
        Acer AL2423W (Fixed in 2010, Still in use today), Panasonic TH-37PD25 (Twice), Panasonic TC-P55GT30 ($100 CL Score), JVC 27" LCD Television

Comment

Point D is the only point which shows continuity to pin 8 at .1 ohms. So that's the point you're after.

OK, I/ve been playing with Paint again. I'd like to say I've been having a ball, but....

Yellow markings: Is that the continuation of the lead from pin 8? If so, it appears to go to Q7; am I right?

Blue markings. I've tentatively identified one of the large blue caps near the bridge rectifier. Did I get it right? Also, there is a toroidal coil, possibly L3 shown on the first picture you posted. Are those the connections for that torroid? If not, is connected to those feed-throughs?

Good news!!! It cooled down today. Only 102° at 4:40 PM.

PlainBill
          Attached Files
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

You got it right on all counts.

Your yellow line is Jumper J10 and does lead to Q7.

Your blue line is C5, the cap just west of (and 90 degrees to) C4 (as viewed from the top side).

Your L3 location is spot on.

Thanks, Bill!

Comment

You got it right on all counts.

Your yellow line is Jumper J10 and does lead to Q7.

Your blue line is C5, the cap just west of (and 90 degrees to) C4 (as viewed from the top side).

Your L3 location is spot on.

Thanks, Bill!
              Are there any other leads out of L3? Because if L3 is good, the following points should be at 167 volts (see picture).

Better check the solder joints.

PlainBill

Comment

No pic to see. And no, no other points out of L3. Just those two.

Comment

Just to confirm, so now every cap, big and small (including the little small ones like 1uF, 50V) have now been swapped?

--- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps
                    Just to confirm, so now every cap, big and small (including the little small ones like 1uF, 50V) have now been swapped?
                    Only the cylindrical ones minus the big C1. Thirteen in total.

All the others like the disc ones are unchanged.

Comment

No pic to see. And no, no other points out of L3. Just those two.
                      Hey, do I have to do EVERYTHING around here?

PlainBill
                      Attached Files

Comment

155VDC, 2 less than across the terminals of C1.

Hahaha which one of us is gonna give up first?

Comment

Not me. Note the new, updated picture. What are the voltages at points g, h, i, j, k, l, and m?

PlainBill

Comment

PlainBill only has 38 posts to go to get to 2000. Let's see if he can figure this out before 2000! :-)

PS. This is over my level now, but I'm following to learn.

--- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Pic?

Comment

Pic?
                                Argh!!!!

PlainBill
                                Attached Files

Comment

PB:

Unfortunately the readings seem as you would expect. No smoking gun here.

G thru I: 150v
                                  J thru K: 143v
                                  L thru M: 136v

Where to next?

I will assume I need to recheck the voltages at IC2's pins?

For the record, I alligator clipped my meter's ground lead at my nasty temp ground jumper. I assume that should be fine for voltage testing in this area.

Thanks!

Comment

PB:

Unfortunately the readings seem as you would expect. No smoking gun here.

G thru I: 150v
                                    J thru K: 143v
                                    L thru M: 136v

Where to next?

I will assume I need to recheck the voltages at IC2's pins?

For the record, I alligator clipped my meter's ground lead at my nasty temp ground jumper. I assume that should be fine for voltage testing in this area.

Thanks!
                                    Right, check the voltages at the pins of IC2. SOMETHING isn't working right.

PlainBill

Comment

1: 1.5v
                                      2: 1.5mv
                                      3: 2.0mv
                                      4: 1.5mv
                                      5: 1.5mv
                                      6: 2.0mv
                                      7: 190mv
                                      8: 136v

Comment

1: 1.5v
                                        2: 1.5mv
                                        3: 2.0mv
                                        4: 1.5mv
                                        5: 1.5mv
                                        6: 2.0mv
                                        7: 190mv
                                        8: 136v
                                        Gentlemen, we have power!! Well, at least to the SMPS controller. But it doesn't appear to be doing anything.

There are two approaches. Odds are the TEA1532A has died, but that isn't an absolute. One approach is to purchase one or two TEA1532ATs from Digikey (at about $1.56 each), install it, and see if it works.

The other is to 'look before you leap' and perform rudimentary tests on the adjacent components. If they check out, you can be reasonably confident replacing the IC is the way to go.

To that end, I have marked up a picture for you. I've circled some areas of interest.

IC2: Measure the resistance from pin 2 if IC2 to each of the other pins of IC2. Report the readings.

IC1: Measure the resistance from pin 2 if IC1 to each of the other pins of IC1. Report the readings.

Area around IC2: I have marked 5 diodes and 2 transistors with a green dot. Check resistance across each of these. Report any that read less than 50 ohms.

To the right of IC2 Measure the resistance across all three legs of the FET, also measure the resistance of the three diodes and the transistor (not circled, but have green dots)

Output diode (lower right corner, circled). Measure the resistance from the center lead to either side lead.

PlainBill
                                        Attached Files

Comment

PB:

Okay, I checked everything and before I throw a hundred numbers at you, diode ZD6 measures .8 ohms.

ZD6 is the second diode from the top next to FET Q3 that you circled in yellow. It connects to the top leg of the FET.

Let me know if you still want the results from the IC's. They both gave nearly identical results.

Can I get excited yet?

Comment

Working...
                                          X