Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Originally posted by PlainBill
    It could be the capacitors. Open it up and see if any capacitors are bulging. If they are, replace them all.

PlainBill
    Hello PlainBill and thanks for the info- What if I dont see anything wrong with the caps? Could it still be a possibility that they could be getting bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaray
      Hello PlainBill and thanks for the info- What if I dont see anything wrong with the caps? Could it still be a possibility that they could be getting bad?
      Yes.
      Haven't you read around the forums yet?
      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • GeForce GT1050
        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Thanks for all the information on this forums! Replaced all the capacitors, but the big one laying flat.

Comment

I took my 225BW apart and have a couple of pics for you guys to check out and let me know what you all think I should do! It appears that one of the circuit boards has what looks to be some slight corrosion and the larger board appears to have some traces of what looks to be excessive heat-not really sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks again!
          Attached Files

Comment

I took my 225BW apart and have a couple of pics for you guys to check out and let me know what you all think I should do!
            Yikes, five perfectly bloated electros! Replace them an also the leetle one (C107?) near the switcher transformer.

It appears that one of the circuit boards has what looks to be some slight corrosion and the larger board appears to have some traces of what looks to be excessive heat-not really sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks again!
            That heat seems to be under the large ? 3.3V reg chip. There *may* be a fault in this area, but more likely it is a symptom of the power supply issues (the caps). Walk before you run, replace the caps with some decent low-ESR 105C types and see what happens next.
            Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

Thanks Pedro for that info! OK- Let me see if I have this correct- You are saying to replace all of the canister caps on that circuit-board? They have a total of 7 CapXon brand capacitors ( C105= 150uF/450v- C107= 47uF/50v- C110&C111= 820uF/25v- C112&C304&C305= 330uF/25v) Hoping that this will fix the problem! What about the other circuitboard-Just leave it alone?

Thanks again!

Emile

Comment

Thanks Pedro for that info! OK- Let me see if I have this correct- You are saying to replace all of the canister caps on that circuit-board? They have a total of 7 CapXon brand capacitors ( C105= 150uF/450v- C107= 47uF/50v- C110&C111= 820uF/25v- C112&C304&C305= 330uF/25v) Hoping that this will fix the problem!
                Leave C105. My experience - and that of most others - is that these very rarely cause problems. But the others, yes.

What about the other circuitboard-Just leave it alone?
                For now. Re-cap and report back.

Comment

Thanks again Pedro! Just wondering if I can use a brand named Xicon? As I have quick access to getting them!

Comment

Wanting to add that Digi-Key is out of stock on most of the caps I need so I guess I can order them from Mouser Electronics. They have the Cornell Dubilier brand- Is this a good brand to purchase- Thanks

Comment

[QUOTE=Gammaray]Thanks again Pedro! Just wondering if I can use a brand named Xicon? As I have quick access to getting them![QUOTE=Gammaray]

Wanting to add that Digi-Key is out of stock on most of the caps I need so I guess I can order them from Mouser Electronics. They have the Cornell Dubilier brand- Is this a good brand to purchase- Thanks
                      There was a list posted somewhere in these forums to guide you - ah, found it.
                      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280 Unfortunately lots of the brands I see named - including those you mentioned - are not readily available down here. I stick with Hitano for most recap jobs, and order in Panasonics if the size I want isn't available here from the 3 Hitano stockists. Sorry I can't add any more.

Comment

OK-Here are the capaitors that I ordered from digi-key after speaking with a tech- 2-820uF/25v(part#565-1960-ND) 3-330uF/25v(part#565-1547-ND) 1-47uF/50v(part#493-3283-ND) in addition I also purchased 1-150uF/450v(part#P11673-ND) I figured why not just replace all of them! I will replace the CapXon's with these and see if it makes a diference! Will post back with a report. Thanks to everyone for your inputs!

Emile

Comment

Follow up on my 226bw and 225bw projects.

Replaced all caps on both. 226bw working fine. 225bw now comes on and goes to black instantly. While it's on you can see the picture very clearly, but that is just for a moment.

Next step after replacing caps?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness
                            Follow up on my 226bw and 225bw projects.

Replaced all caps on both. 226bw working fine. 225bw now comes on and goes to black instantly. While it's on you can see the picture very clearly, but that is just for a moment.

Next step after replacing caps?

Any input greatly appreciated.
                            Two Seconds to Black. Search on it, post pictures of the inverter.

PlainBill
                            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hello again, Just got the new caps in today! I am fixing to solder them in place. I noticed that on the circuit board there is a place marked C113 that is blank (no cap)- I guess that this is just there for perhaps another model or something-not sure! Anyone that could tell me why- please do! One last thing- I had purchased the 150uF/450v cap and took a reading on my multimeter and it reads around 115uF- Does this sound alright? I know that there is a 20% tolerance and that the cap should be closer to 120uF or so.

Thanks again,

Emile

Comment

Sorry-I forgot to add that the big cap (150uF/450v) has short leads on it and the original CapXion on the board has longer leads- Should I try and perhaps clip the leads off close to the CapXion and solder the new cap's short leads to this?

Comment

Sorry-I forgot to add that the big cap (150uF/450v) has short leads on it and the original CapXion on the board has longer leads- Should I try and perhaps clip the leads off close to the CapXion and solder the new cap's short leads to this?
                                  Most here have advised that that cap doesn't generally require replacing. If you really want to replace it, then do as you propose above so that there is enough lead left for a connection. And check the polarity of this - it is easy to lose track when the cap is mounted this way. Wrong way and you'll get a spectacular display!

Comment

Thanks Pedro! Here is a pic of the board with the new caps except for the 150uF/450v- As you will notice in the pic, I have placed the new cap(150uF/450v) next to the original cap that is still in place on the board. I am almost positive that I soldered the new caps in correctly, as the neg sides matched the same way the old ones came out. I also took a measurement on the new 150uF/450v cap, and got a reading of around 115uF- Is this ok if I decide to use it in place of the old cap?

Thanks,
                                    Emile
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Just to let everyone know that I took a measurement on the original caps (CapXion) after desoldering them off the board- and here is what my meter read- For the 820uF/25v caps- 47uF on one and 42uF on the other- for the 330uF/25v caps- all 3 were averaged around 22uF As for the 47uF/50v- it was around 41uF indicating that it was still ok!

Emile

Comment

Thanks Pedro! Here is a pic of the board with the new caps except for the 150uF/450v- As you will notice in the pic, I have placed the new cap(150uF/450v) next to the original cap that is still in place on the board. I am almost positive that I soldered the new caps in correctly, as the neg sides matched the same way the old ones came out. I also took a measurement on the new 150uF/450v cap, and got a reading of around 115uF- Is this ok if I decide to use it in place of the old cap?

Thanks,
                                        Emile
                                        Yes that should be fine, but again I wouldn't bother installing it. Of the caps you have installed, all the ones where the polarity marking on the board is visible appear to be in the correct way. Power it up and report back.

Also note that *many* meters don't accurately show capacitance for caps above 10 or 20uF.

Comment

OK- I finished up and fired it up! Everything seems to be working fine! There is no delay in the picture coming on. By the way- I did put the new 150uF/450v cap in just because I had ordered it!
                                          Thanks again Pedro and the rest on here! Will report back if something does happen to go wrong! knock on wood!

Emile

Comment

Working...
                                          X