Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung Syncmaster 225BW

Originally posted by captain150 View Post
    This monitor is just out of its 3 year warranty, it'd be nice if Samsung just used decent caps.
    planned obsolescence.. :/

Comment

Originally posted by captain150 View Post
      This monitor is just out of its 3 year warranty, it'd be nice if Samsung just used decent caps. I'll order the stuff and let you know how it goes.
      Planned obsolescence?
      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • GeForce GT1050
        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Well so much for planned obsolescence. After $7 in parts and about 45 minutes of my time, the monitor is back! Take that monitor industry!

Couldn't have done it without this site and your guys' help. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Got it working! I purchased the following:
          2 565-1800-ND (ELXY250ELL821MK20S) 820uF 25V
          1 565-1547-ND (EKY-250ELL331MJC5S) 330uF 25V
          2 493-1544-ND (UHE1E681MPD) 680uF 25V
          1 493-1934-ND (UPW1J470MPD) 47uF 63V

but I actually only installed the first two lines as they were the only ones obviously blown and I am a very impatient person. Anyway, this was my first time soldering anything and I got it done. Really happy about that. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny_B View Post
            Got it working! I purchased the following:
            2 565-1800-ND (ELXY250ELL821MK20S) 820uF 25V
            1 565-1547-ND (EKY-250ELL331MJC5S) 330uF 25V
            2 493-1544-ND (UHE1E681MPD) 680uF 25V
            1 493-1934-ND (UPW1J470MPD) 47uF 63V

but I actually only installed the first two lines as they were the only ones obviously blown and I am a very impatient person. Anyway, this was my first time soldering anything and I got it done. Really happy about that. Thanks for the help.
            Well done! Now make sure you put those others in, or you may well be back inside this monitor again shortly.
            Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

Originally posted by montrey View Post
              yes Im from Poland @retiredcaps thx for the links
              hi so i replaced all caps and my monitor is working again thx guys for help

Comment

Replaced the two, top bulging, 820Uf @ 25v caps with a little better grade from digi-key. $5.00 including first class shipping and 2 extra. Works great now. Thanks..

Bob

Comment

Hi all,

I week ago my Samsung 225BW screen died. I followed the directions in this thread and replaced 5 of the capacitors. The only difference in the new capacitors that I installed is that instead of the two 820 mF 25V capacitors I put two 1000 mF 25V capacitors, and instead of the three 320 mF 25V capacitors I install three 320 mF 50V capacitors. I am bare in electronics and I am not sure if this is a huge problem, but the monitor worked just fine after replacing the capacitors. The guys at the electronics store told me that the voltage on the 320 mF capacitors is not a problem. However, since yesterday the colors on my monitor are not stable, they seem to constantly change from more reddish to normal colors.

Does anybody have an idea why this is?

Thanks in advance,

Petar

Comment

Originally posted by ptsankov View Post
                    However, since yesterday the colors on my monitor are not stable, they seem to constantly change from more reddish to normal colors.
                    1) Yes, you can go higher in voltage without problems.

2) What brand and series did you use for the replacement capacitors? It matters if you used general purpose caps or low ESR (ohms) caps.

3) Members here advise that you replace all capacitors because capacitors die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm). A multimeter will be insufficient to test for ESR. For that you need an ESR tester which costs between $50 and $300.

Most members here will recommend that you replace ALL capacitors with reputable brands from reputable sellers. Brands like Rubycon, Panasonic, and United Chemicon are suggested. A list of recommended caps can be found at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

4) You should take the lcd apart and make sure all the cables are tightly secured especially the flat cables going to the t-con panel. These cables are fragile and can be easily dislodged.

5) Did you reset the lcd back to factory defaults?

6) Did you try using a different VGA or DVI cable?
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

2) What brand and series did you use for the replacement capacitors? It matters if you used general purpose caps or low ESR (ohms) caps.
                      The brand of the capacitors is JAMICON. I'm not sure whether they are general purpose capacitors or low ESR...

4) You should take the lcd apart and make sure all the cables are tightly secured especially the flat cables going to the t-con panel. These cables are fragile and can be easily dislodged.
                      Cables's sound like a good idea to check. Thanks

5) Did you reset the lcd back to factory defaults?
                      Yes, just did, same problem..

6) Did you try using a different VGA or DVI cable?
                      VGA.

Comment

It turned out that the problem was with the VGA cable... thanks for the help!

Comment

Hello everyone, recentely my Samsung Syncmaster 225ms broke down on me. I know the screen is fine because when I turn it on, I can see my computer monitor for a quick second and then the screen goes dark. If I shine a bright light onto the screen I can see my desktop, but only faintly. After reading about 5 pages into the fourm I am sure it is the capacitors that are broken. The only thing is, I don't know where to get or what kind of replacement capacitors are. I have gone to digikey and followed PlainBill's seach guide, but nothing came up. Samsung 225ms
                          In the pics below the first picture( a bit darker than the others) has the bad capacitor(at least I think it is) But I plan to replace all of them for more reliable ones. Can someone please help me figure out what capacitor I need to buy?
                          Thanks you so much!
                          -Aaron
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by badsheep View Post
                            Hello everyone, recentely my Samsung Syncmaster 225ms broke down on me. I know the screen is fine because when I turn it on, I can see my computer monitor for a quick second and then the screen goes dark. If I shine a bright light onto the screen I can see my desktop, but only faintly. After reading about 5 pages into the fourm I am sure it is the capacitors that are broken. The only thing is, I don't know where to get or what kind of replacement capacitors are. I have gone to digikey and followed PlainBill's seach guide, but nothing came up. Samsung 225ms
                            In the pics below the first picture( a bit darker than the others) has the bad capacitor(at least I think it is) But I plan to replace all of them for more reliable ones. Can someone please help me figure out what capacitor I need to buy?
                            Thanks you so much!
                            -Aaron
                            I'm not sure, but here's one way to do it. I count 11 electrolytic caps on the board. Don't bother with the big one; it seldom fails.

1. Measure the tallest cap on the board. That defines the tallest cap you can use.

2. Make up a chart showing the following information for each of the 10 caps you are going to replace: Capacitance, voltage, diameter, location.

3. Use the procedure I wrote for selecting caps. Double check the height; you don't want to choose one that is too high.

4. Post the proposed list. Someone will double check it.

PlainBill
                            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

What do you mean by each of the 10 caps I am using? Sorry, I am new to this. Also where would I find the capacitance, and what do I use to mark the location? Hopefully the pictures I took could help?
                              Also I don't really know how the chart would be set up, do you have an example of some sort I could see and mimic?

Comment

What do you mean by each of the 10 caps I am using? Sorry, I am new to this. Also where would I find the capacitance, and what do I use to mark the location? Hopefully the pictures I took could help?
                                Also I don't really know how the chart would be set up, do you have an example of some sort I could see and mimic?
                                Look at the board. Each capacitor has a location number next to it. In the first picture I can read the location for one of the caps - C220. I also can make out the value - 470 uF, and the voltage - 25V (I think). In the last picture I can identify 3 more location numbers - C222, C221, C232. In the upper left corner are three more caps, at top center are two more tiny ones, and near bottom center is the last one; it's location number ends in 7. It's likely C220 is 10mm in diameter, 16 mm high.

So the table would look like this:

C220 10 mm 470uF 25V
                                C221 10 mm
                                C222 10 mm

PlainBill
                                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                  Look at the board. Each capacitor has a location number next to it. In the first picture I can read the location for one of the caps - C220. I also can make out the value - 470 uF, and the voltage - 25V (I think). In the last picture I can identify 3 more location numbers - C222, C221, C232. In the upper left corner are three more caps, at top center are two more tiny ones, and near bottom center is the last one; it's location number ends in 7. It's likely C220 is 10mm in diameter, 16 mm high.

So the table would look like this:

C220 10 mm 470uF 25V
                                  C221 10 mm
                                  C222 10 mm

PlainBill
                                  Got it. So I have the chart made but when I input the information into the digikey search, nothing comes up. I did not choose any brand because I do not know what brands make certain capacitors, but I did watch a video on youtube showing the brand jamicon with the same uF and voltage as the C220 capacitor. Could I also find capacitors at Radio Shack that might make it easier?
                                  Also I need a desoldering pump, would I find that at Radio Shack as well? Or maybe frys?
                                  thanks so much
                                  EDIT: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103624 For instance would that replace my current 470uF cap fine?
                                  -Aaron
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by badsheep; 02-21-2011, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Soldering supplies you can pick up at Radioshack or Fry's. DONOT purchase caps from them as they are the wrong type.

I supsect you are entering the wrong info at the digikey site. Using C220 from your list as an example, try the following:

at digikey.com. In the part search box enter:

panasonic fm 470uf 25v

press the "go" button.

You should get a couple of hits that match your criteria of size and height. Some caps you can buy in multiples of 1, but others require a larger purchase and some are out of stock. Obviously, you want to purchase in multiples of 1.

If you don't see the cap you want, then in the above search string substitute fm with fc or fr.
                                    Last edited by jetadm123; 02-21-2011, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                      Soldering supplies you can pick up at Radioshack or Fry's. DONOT purchase caps from them as they are the wrong type.

I supsect you are entering the wrong info at the digikey site. Using C220 from your list as an example, try the following:

at digikey.com. In the part search box enter:

panasonic fm 470uf 25v

press the "go" button.

You should get a couple of hits that match your criteria of size and height. Some caps you can buy in multiples of 1, but others require a larger purchase and some are out of stock. Obviously, you want to purchase in multiples of 1.

If you don't see the cap you want, then in the above search string substitute fm with fc or fr.
                                      So P12388-ND would work well for the 470uf 25v caps needing replacement.
                                      P10314-ND for 3.3uf 50v caps.
                                      P10267-ND for 47uf 25v cap.
                                      P12417-ND for 680uf 35v cap.
                                      P12379-ND for 1000uf 25v cap.

If someone could confirm that, that would be great. Also a note: I mistakingly put that the 680uf cap was 650 in the chart. Disregard that, it is 680uf not 650.

Comment

So P12388-ND would work well for the 470uf 25v caps needing replacement.
                                        P10314-ND for 3.3uf 50v caps.
                                        P10267-ND for 47uf 25v cap.
                                        P12417-ND for 680uf 35v cap.
                                        P12379-ND for 1000uf 25v cap.

If someone could confirm that, that would be great. Also a note: I mistakingly put that the 680uf cap was 650 in the chart. Disregard that, it is 680uf not 650.
                                        P10314-ND for 3.3uf 50v caps. Check
                                        P10267-ND for 47uf 25v cap. Check
                                        P12417-ND for 680uf 35v cap. Check
                                        P12379-ND for 1000uf 25v cap. Check

A couple of very minor points. As a matter of preference, I prefer having the list of capacitors embedded in your reply, not as a separate file - it makes checking easier. Also, there is no point in listing the height of all caps; all we have to know is the maximum height allowable for any cap. That makes it easier for you.

And that is pretty much the list of caps I would have come up with. When ordering, specify USPS First Class mail for fast, inexpensive shipping. And if someone tells you they prefer United Chemicon or Nichicon low ESR caps, don't argue - both brands are also excellent.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                                          P10314-ND for 3.3uf 50v caps. Check
                                          P10267-ND for 47uf 25v cap. Check
                                          P12417-ND for 680uf 35v cap. Check
                                          P12379-ND for 1000uf 25v cap. Check

A couple of very minor points. As a matter of preference, I prefer having the list of capacitors embedded in your reply, not as a separate file - it makes checking easier. Also, there is no point in listing the height of all caps; all we have to know is the maximum height allowable for any cap. That makes it easier for you.

And that is pretty much the list of caps I would have come up with. When ordering, specify USPS First Class mail for fast, inexpensive shipping. And if someone tells you they prefer United Chemicon or Nichicon low ESR caps, don't argue - both brands are also excellent.

PlainBill
                                          Thank you for checking. I have ordered them and I will post again once I have replaced the old capacitors with the new ones.

Many Thanks PlainBill!
                                          -Aaron

Comment

Working...
                                          X