Spectroniq PLTV-3250 wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spectroniq PLTV-3250 wont start

i have the same tv with the same problem. i was planing on buying a new power supply because i dont know how to do the things you guys are talking about. but i have one question before i do. my tv is not turning on but the standby light on the front does work.. and when i push power it changes color for a second. if i push the menu button a different blue light flashes. so with these differences is it still most likely the PSU.
    thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by rookstok View Post
      i have the same tv with the same problem. i was planing on buying a new power supply because i dont know how to do the things you guys are talking about. but i have one question before i do. my tv is not turning on but the standby light on the front does work.. and when i push power it changes color for a second. if i push the menu button a different blue light flashes. so with these differences is it still most likely the PSU.
      thank you!
      It could be either the PSU or the main board. The power supply unit consists of two power supplies - the standby supply that is on whenever the TV has AC power, and the main supply that is on only when the TV is on. When you push the power button the standby section of the main board is supposed to switch a line which turns the main power supply on. Either the main board is not sending the signal, or the power supply is not turning on. The output connector of the PSU is often labeled. PS_ON is the control line. If it changes voltage when the power button is pushed, the main board is probably good. HOWEVER, the fault could be either the power supply, or something loading the power supply, such as the inverter.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
        It could be either the PSU or the main board. The power supply unit consists of two power supplies - the standby supply that is on whenever the TV has AC power, and the main supply that is on only when the TV is on. When you push the power button the standby section of the main board is supposed to switch a line which turns the main power supply on. Either the main board is not sending the signal, or the power supply is not turning on. The output connector of the PSU is often labeled. PS_ON is the control line. If it changes voltage when the power button is pushed, the main board is probably good. HOWEVER, the fault could be either the power supply, or something loading the power supply, such as the inverter.

PlainBill
        i can see that about 4 of the capacitors are bulging on the PSU. does this mean it is worth it try a 60$ PSU or do i need to buy a volt meter and further diagnose the problem

Comment

Originally posted by rookstok View Post
          i can see that about 4 of the capacitors are bulging on the PSU. does this mean it is worth it try a 60$ PSU or do i need to buy a volt meter and further diagnose the problem
          This is one reason it is helpful to post pictures. Any number of people here would have jumped on it and immediately identified the probable cause.

With four bulging caps I would suggest you save yourself about $55 and replace the caps. Even better, spend a few bucks more and completely recap the power supply.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Sorry if this is an old thread, but looked like a good place to post this question...so, is FMMT2222A the (only) P/N for Q7? I have replaced most of the caps and found that Q7 is shorted. Just wondered if there are other part numbers that are equivalent as the only easy source I have found for the FMMT2222A was on ebay overseas and I really don't need 100+ of them...

Just thought I would see if anyone had a cross reference of numbers or anything. Hope this is posted ok, I'm a newbie on here.

Thanks to all!

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanretro View Post
              Sorry if this is an old thread, but looked like a good place to post this question...so, is FMMT2222A the (only) P/N for Q7? I have replaced most of the caps and found that Q7 is shorted. Just wondered if there are other part numbers that are equivalent as the only easy source I have found for the FMMT2222A was on ebay overseas and I really don't need 100+ of them...

Just thought I would see if anyone had a cross reference of numbers or anything. Hope this is posted ok, I'm a newbie on here.

Thanks to all!
              That is a 'jelly bean' part, equivalent to the 2N2222. What appears to be an equivalent in the SOT-23 package is available from Digi-Key as MMBT2222A for $0.39 each. Check the datasheets or contact Digi-Key to verify they are equivalent.

PlainBill

Comment

Hey - That's Great!!!

Thanks Plainbill!!!!!!

Comment

So got some parts in and replaced caps and Q7. I now have my 5V standby, but unit is still dead...

My understanding is that the 3.3VDC signal voltage is a brief voltage sent back to the power supply when the power button is pressed enabling the turn on of the 16 snd 24vdc section; correct?

So whether using the power button or remote, I should be able to meter the signal voltage. If it does appear, I need to check things like Q11.

Anyone have any idea what to look for if I have the 5VDC standby, but can't get it to send back the 3.3VDC for turn on?

Thanks!!

Comment

So got some parts in and replaced caps and Q7. I now have my 5V standby, but unit is still dead...

My understanding is that the 3.3VDC signal voltage is a brief voltage sent back to the power supply when the power button is pressed enabling the turn on of the 16 snd 24vdc section; correct?

So whether using the power button or remote, I should be able to meter the signal voltage. If it does appear, I need to check things like Q11.

Anyone have any idea what to look for if I have the 5VDC standby, but can't get it to send back the 3.3VDC for turn on?

Thanks!!
                    There is a small error in your description. When you press the power button an input to the controller on the signal board changes level as long as the button is pressed. The controller reacts by 'flipping' the state of the PS_ON (or some equivalent name) signal to the power supply. That line stays in it's new state until the power button is pressed again. It's a steady state - the main power supply is on as long as the PS_ON signal is high.

There are a number of things that can be checked if the PS_ON signal does not change state. The first is obvious - the cable from the control panel to the signal board.

The next is the LDO regulators on the signal board - there are usually at least two of them.

The third is the input connector for the cable from the control panel - make sure signal from the power button is making it's way to the controller.

PlainBill

Comment

Ok, so while I did measure that the 5VDC standby is there, I did so before reconnecting everything.

With all connections reattached, the 5VDC is NOT a constant 5V but rather is constantly fluctuating (on my DMM)! Best as my digital meter is telling me, it is going up to nearly 5 then down to about 1.4 or so...

I cannot get any 3.3v reading. I do not see a standby led or anything so really don't think the controls are even working.

Any help???? Ideas???

Thank you!!!!!!

Comment

Any help???? Ideas???
                        Post clear focused top down view pictures of all your boards (both sides) following the instructions below exactly.
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok, I tried to take a few pics. Top and bottom side of P.S. board (2 of bottom), one of the three other boards. and one each of the three up close.

Hope these help a little...please lmk if I need to take pics of other items.

Thank you very much!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very good pictures. The erratic output from the Standby supply while the main board is hooked up indicates either a problem with the main board, or a problem with that portion of the power supply. Please indicate which caps you replaced on the power supply (loading the picture into Paint and placing a dot on each new cap is sufficient), and also what brand and series of caps you used.

PlainBill

Comment

the 3 on the top left of the first pic that have the black dot on them are the only ones I replaced. They were physically broken open at the top. I used a Tenma cap meter on the rest and they seemed ok, so hadn't messed with them.

IDK the brands - top left little blue guy says 28IVGN (brand - product? IDK).
                              Other two say KME.

These were some caps I just happen to have with my monitor parts. I honestly don't know their ESR...

Comment

Could the no-name (Newark or digikey I'm sure) caps I used cause this sort of problem? What else should I really look for?...

Thought I would ask.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Could the no-name (Newark or digikey I'm sure) caps I used cause this sort of problem? What else should I really look for?...

Thought I would ask.

Thanks guys!
                                  All capacitors are not created equal. A capacitor that is suitable for use in a radio is probably unsuitable for a monitor. The caps in the power supply are under unusual stress, they require low ESR caps. I personally prefer Panasonic FM, FR, and FC, series but will cheerfully use Nichicon, United Chemicon, or Rubycon if they provide the performance required.

I would say yes, using general purpose caps might cause this problem, but there are also other causes. One I would suspect is the largest (typically 450 volt, 100uF). There is a small cap (typically under 100uF, 50 V) near the SMPS controller that can cause all sort of weird problems as it fails.

PlainBill

Comment

I did something stupid. My spare FSP1953-F01 went bad and I pulled out bulged caps, CS20,CS21. CS25, CS27, and CS29 . I then got distracted and misplaced the bad caps. I've figured out all but CS29. Can someone do me a big favor and enlighten me as to the value?

Comment

Hi,

I'm working on this same model PSU and I get voltage on the Primary side, but stops at the secondary and no 5V standby.

I wanted to know the specs for the Q7 15v Zener Diode so I can order the right one (voltage breakdown, polarization, etc.)

My board also had a half melted 497-5980-5-ND Mosfet. I ordered two of the MPS2222A since they seem to be failure prone.

Does anyone know where a 10V 1000uF Cap goes on the board, I got one sent in a kit but I dont see it on the board. Maybe the kit is wrong.

Thanks,
                                      Dal

Comment

Hi,

Here is breakdown of the PSU repair for component failure, not power surge related failures.

Model: PLTV-3250

1. Replace all the caps (usually the single large cap stays good) and check cables.
                                        2. If your missing 5v SB check/replace Q7 and ZD4. Check 5v SB.
                                        3. If no 5v SB, replace IC2.
                                        4. If no power on, replace Q4 and ZD3.
                                        5. Check Q1 and Q2.

Move on to Main Board

Parts:
                                        ZD4 - 15V Zener Diodes BZX384-C15,115
                                        ZD3 - 16V Zener Diodes PDZ16B,115
                                        Q7 - Transistor MMBT3904
                                        IC2 - IC PFC TEA1532A
                                        Q4 - Mosfet STP4NK60ZFP or 2SK3568
                                        Q2 - Mosfet 2SK3568

Good Luck,
                                        Dal

Comment

This how I fixed them: http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...20PLTV%203250/
                                          Never stop learning
                                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                          X