Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acer x233h monitor 2 seconds to black

Hi

I can't believe there is a forum just for this sort of stuff. I'm sure someone will be able to help me.

The acer x233h monitor has the common problem where it comes on for a few seconds and then goes black, but the `on` button light stays blue.

I took it apart and checked everything but it looks fine, no burn marks or bulging capacitors. I replaced all the capacitors anyway and the problem got worse, then I realised a plug was still unplugged :P After plugging it back in the problem is exactly the same.

This is where I'm stuck right now. I've read lots of posts about using the multimeter to check this and that, but soldering the caps was pretty much the extent of my electronic expertise.

I've got a multimeter but don't know what settings to put it at, where to stick the probes, what components look like etc.

I would very much appreciate any help. I'll post some pictures.

Re: acer x233h monitor 2 seconds to black

pictures
    Attached Files
    Last edited by megamoo; 04-08-2013, 11:23 AM.

Comment

What I've read says that after caps the most common cause of the problem is a bad inverter? Where ever that is?

Comment

Some members prefer pictures to be loaded using manage attachments
        -you may get more helpers if you delete the pictures and post them as
        thumbnails.
        Actually having looked at them they are not really clear enough
        Welcome to the forum-
        We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back (in the same orientation) and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1280167246

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1280167246
        Last edited by selldoor; 04-08-2013, 11:23 AM.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

ok done

Ill try to take some clearer photos

Comment

The inverter transformers are the large grey rectangles with yellow stripe
            what is the part number on the top?.

Also what make/series of caps did you use?
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I'm out of time, I'll take a close look at the parts tomorrow and take some photos in better light.

Comment

Does it display the ACER logo then go black? OK hurry back!
                X99 5930K
                X99-gaming 9
                EVGA 1080 Vanilla
                Gskill 16GBRip JAWS@2400
                SSD'S
                Corsair AX1200

Comment

If supply voltage ok .Did you try to resolder inverter transformer, ccfl conectar, and ballast cap. (blue color) this is most common problem.

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                    The inverter transformers are the large grey rectangles with yellow stripe
                    what is the part number on the top?.

Also what make/series of caps did you use?
                    I've taken pictures of I think are the inverter transformers?, and one of the new caps.

I don't know at all what could be the problem but because I replaced the caps which looked fine and the problem was unchanged makes me think its something else?

Originally posted by Philly Cheese Steak View Post
                    Does it display the ACER logo then go black? OK hurry back!
                    Yes the Acer logo fades in, then the desktop displays for a second before it goes black.

Originally posted by klkmalik View Post
                    If supply voltage ok .Did you try to resolder inverter transformer, ccfl conectar, and ballast cap. (blue color) this is most common problem.
                    Sorry I don't know how exactly to check the supply voltage. I have a multimeter but do not know what settings to put it on or where to stick the probes. All I have done is remove the old caps on the main larger board and resolder some new ones.

I took some better photos.
                    First two photos are the small board with the vga and dvi plugs on it.
                    Third photo is a fuse? Didn't see this before, I've read these can be the cause?

I hope someone can offer advice on what to do next to diagnose and/or fix the problem.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have this exact Acer monitor with the exact same 2 sec to black...AND all my caps check OK with ESR meter and have no leaking or bulging tops too. Does anyone or the OP have a clue what caused his problem? I see this thread is months old since a reply.

Comment

Regretfully quite a few people who ask for help,AND get it then do not advise what happens when they have been asked to do various tests etc.,so that is the reason why this original post was left as it is.If the LED stays Blue when a PC signal is applied, then the Logic Board is probably fine.Would suggest you measure the resistance of the inverter transformer secondaries,also you may need a set of spare backlights to do some tests if the transformers test ok .

Comment

Working...
                        X