Viewsonic VX1940w Turns on / makes noise / turns off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic VX1940w Turns on / makes noise / turns off

Like the title says, my dads Viewsonic VX1940w monitor turns on for a second, makes a noise, and turns off. Switch on monitor stays blue. He doesn't want to buy a new monitor quite yet. Two caps c1 & c302 look bulged. Could these be the cause or something else. Where is the best place to buy replacement caps. A kit would be best because it's hard to read all the writing on the caps. Any suggestions?

The board inside is a Darfon Model b092-xxx 4h.b0920.001 /d2
    Last edited by cmf21; 10-08-2010, 09:37 PM.

Re: Viewsonic VX1940w Turns on / makes noise / turns off

Originally posted by cmf21 View Post
    Like the title says, my dads Viewsonic VX1940w monitor turns on for a second, makes a noise, and turns off. Switch on monitor stays blue. He doesn't want to buy a new monitor quite yet. Two caps c1 & c302 look bulged. Could these be the cause or something else. Where is the best place to buy replacement caps. A kit would be best because it's hard to read all the writing on the caps. Any suggestions?

The board inside is a Darfon Model b092-xxx 4h.b0920.001 /d2
    Did you even think of using the search button? You would have found this: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6989

Yes, failing caps can cause these symptoms.

The recommended process is to take pictures of the power supply, attach them to your next post (the links in my signature will give details on how to do this), Then make up a list of caps. Since you have at least a rudimentary list to work with, compare the caps in your monitor to the ones in the other thread. This is important; many manufacturers use multiple sources for the boards; not all monitors of a particular model are the same.

I suggest replacing the caps with Panasonic FM series from Digikey. It is a very good idea to replace all of the electrolytic caps except the big (450V, 100uF) one. If you want assistance selecting suitable caps, list the value, voltage, diameter, and the maximum height you can use.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Post is a little bit long. Sorry about that chief. Read: 2:50

The noise that you hear is oscillation most likely. This means don't do that. R & R the bad caps first. Remove and replace ANY caps that are bulged, even a little. It indicates a chemical process has begun inside the component to where it will eventually self destruct.

Plain Bill spells it out clear. Do you know how many boards I have seen in my lifetime? I don't LOL wish I had a nickel....

I have lots of drawers of components. it seems fair enough that if you take the initiative, this board will follow through for you, even if I have to mail you the things you need. Most folks don't mess with this stuff though, and we understand that. We on the board have probably all had times when we wished we didn't mess with it as well.
      So, if there is no soldering station in your home, perhaps you can print this to a friend that does and he can join in with us as well. If you are willing to give it a crack yourself. I'm with you every step of the way too, I think most of us here will help b/c that is why most joined, to share what is known about electronics and modern circuitry in user equipment. If you do the homework, we will get your equipment to work again. I'm willing to go "All in" on that statement, (providing it was not thrown in the swimming pool while it was on). Even if it was, we could get it working if we had to, but it would be way over cost to everyone.

Wishing your component a successful repair.

Note that the retail value of your equipment is about $100.00 ( if the model was still sold today). I do not know about others on the board. but I had a teacher once tell me to never spend a dime to earn a nickel, which means that you must determine what an hour of your time is worth, then add on parts and mileage along with what you will be missing in place of the time it takes to repair (eg. If you could be making ANY amounts of money elsewhere must be written into the equation). Just the calculation of these factors will absorb a % of the unit's allotment towards "totalled"
      In other words, we would not want you to spend so much on it that you would have been better off to have not repaired it and have spent an amount whereby you could have purchased two of the same. I will just speak for myself in saying that I already do enough of that, and I certainly see no sense in condoning others to do over cost repairs too. If you want to call it a spare time thing just for kiks and giggles, well that's different. If your dad is funding this though, and a time element is involved, you might just be better off to pick up another, yet keep this one around if you wish to learn about basic consumer electronic equipment. That is, if you wanted and are interested. If there are many youngsters in China that are well versed at repairs, then you can certainly become an expert at it. I say this because for most of those youngsters there, it's the last thing they are interested in. They are good at it because they have to be without choice.

Comment

cmf21,

I have exactly the same problem with Acer x193w that uses the same Darfon inverter board. But I do not see any bulged capacitors on mine. Have you managed to fix yours by replacing the capacitors you have mentioned (c1 & c302)?

Comment

hi Cmf21, can you pls tell me how to open up the monitor. i don't see any screws on the back.
          thanks,
          hiren

Comment

Originally posted by maruvatan View Post
            hi Cmf21, can you pls tell me how to open up the monitor.
            No need for multiple posts for the same question.

Pry it apart like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul5LhuCT1y8
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
            X