Creative S750 speaker no sound, power LED & control POD LED are ok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creative S750 speaker no sound, power LED & control POD LED are ok

Currently, my S750 speaker has no sound output from any speakers.

The symptom now
    • The power LED on the subwoofer back pane is steady green, and I can power on the speaker -- the power/standby LED on control POD indicate it is powered on.
    • The volume LEDs on control POD also indicated that I can also adjust the volume
    • There're sound output from the earphone if the earphone is plugged on the control POD, but the left channel has very very low volume (closed to quiet), I have to increase the volume to hear sound from the left channel
    • This issue is like same issue after one week I bought this speaker: http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=506230

My fixing for LED blinking issue doesn't last longer than 15 days
    At the beginning, it was the power LED blinking issue, after LED blinking issue occured, I started to search internet for a solution. I found a thread on another site which was posted by @ lexwalker.
    I followed that thread and bought the following capacitors:

After one year reparing (see Long story for why one year), the speaker finally making sounds (see this dancing paper video), but it doesn't last longer than 15 days: One morning, after power standby for one night, I try to listen some music, power it on, play, but no sound come out anymore.

I measured the voltage output of CN5 CN4 CN6 connectors, I got the following reading values
    Code:
    CN5 (to power amplifier board 2)
    ==================================================
    . * * . * * . * * . * *[.]RED
    |<------ 85.5v -------->|
     * * *|<---- 18.7v ---->|
     * * * * * *|<--24.1v-->|
     * * * * * * * * *|48.7v|
    |<---- 36.8v ---->|
    |<--61.4v-->|
    |66.8v|

CN4 (to power amplifier board 1)
     *almost as same as CN5

CN6 (to audio I/O board)
    . * * . * * . * * (0) * * . * * . * * . * *[.]RED
    | * * | * * | * * *| * * *| * * | * * | * * |
    0v * 4.3v *8.9v * *0 * *12.2 *-7.9v * 0 * *8.9v

And the voltage reading between two legs of each 330μF/100V capacitor is 66.6V.
    It seems the power supply board is working, but I'm not sure whether or not the output voltage is normal.

Question
    • What's the possible reason? Where do I need to check?
    • Does the capacitors I bought suitable?
    • Does the voltage output on power supply board ok?
    • Just now, I measured C201 capacitor on audio I/O board, it has no readings, like it's broken inside. Could this caused all channel no sound at all?

Long story
    I bought this speaker at 2008-09-30, it was great. But 5 days later, no sound came out anymore, the symptom was just like now, and I asked on Creative forum, but got no answer. So I replaced it with another working subwoofer from the reseller.

At 2015-04, the power LED blinking issue occured, and no LED on control pod give light, I can't power it on. Searching internet, got a repairing thread with exactly same symptom. That thread was posted by lex, I realized he also have an account here named lexwalker when I reading https://www.badcaps.net/node/733744.

Anyway, I followed his guide thread, cleaned degraded glues on power supply board, bought capacitors at 2015-05, replaced 5 big capacitors (C59 C60 C69 C70 and C61) on power supply board, although I damaged some solder pad, but it seems I can power on speaker.

With more confidence, I replaced two capacitors on power amplifier boards. Power on, but a flash and spark came out, and fuse was blown. Bought new fuses, power on several times, several fused blowed too! I can't figure it out why, so I put the speak on the ground, leave it there for a year with dust on it.

And after one year, at 2016-04, when chitchat in an IRC channel, someone said it could be something wrong on power amplifier board, and I recheck carefully on what I'd done on power amplifier board, and found that one capacitor was reversed installed!!! What a stupid mistake!!!

After corrected the stupid mistake, I can powered it on now. Some small issues occurred
    1. Center and Subwoofer channel still no sound.
      It's actually a software config issue, I use Fedora linux OS, and pulseaudio sound system. But the subwoofer channel was muted in alsamixer application
    2. When adjust volume + - or mute/unmute or power on to standby, there will be a noise come out of rear speakers (especially rear right speaker). and the volume of noise follows the main volume.
      After scratched degraded glues on audio I/O board, this issue seems gone
    3. There was one time before: after plugged earphone into the jacket on remote control pod, sound still come out from speaker.
      now I can't reproduce this issue anymore.
    4. The common issue: when power on, power go off automatically and then return to standby state.
      I'll leave this issue there, I can accept this issue.

I started to scratch degraded glues on audio I/O board, it's not a nice job, and I can't clean them well, because there're massive glues on it, and many chip legs are covered by degraded glues (There're still some glues between chip legs). After some glues been removed, some issues above seems gone.

Around 2016-05-17, the speaker system seems works except the volume of Side Left & Side Right & Rear Left channels are a little bit lower. Well, at least the subwoofer/bass sounds great, it's shaking the room, so I consider it's fixed.

Then, at the morning of 2016-05-28, after power standby for one night, power on the speaker, try to listen music, but no sound anymore.
    Last edited by moontide; 06-05-2016, 12:27 PM. Reason: fixing Chinglish
    A software developer guy trying to fix electronic hardware

Re: Creative S750 speaker no sound, power LED & control POD LED are ok

Originally posted by moontide View Post
    The symptom now
    • There're sound output from the earphone if the earphone is plugged on the control POD, but the left channel has very very low volume (closed to quiet), I have to increase the volume to hear sound from the left channel

Question
    • Just now, I measured C201 capacitor on audio I/O board, it has no readings, like it's broken inside. Could this caused all channel no sound at all?
    Well, I replaced C201 capacitor on audio I/O board with a new Sanyo OS-CON 100μF 16V, the volume of left channel in earphone which plugged into earphone jacket on control POD are normal now.

But still, no sound come out from any speaker.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by moontide; 06-08-2016, 12:04 PM. Reason: fixing wrong capacitor specification

Comment

Well, I replaced C201 capacitor on audio I/O board with a new Sanyo OS-CON 100μF 16V, the volume of left channel in earphone which plugged into earphone jacket on control POD are normal now.

But still, no sound come out from any speaker.
      My stupid mistake again:
      I plugged the audio cable which connected audio I/O board and two power amplifier board in wrong way on the audio I/O board, hence no sounds.

Now, I corrected this stupid mistake, sounds came out from Front Left & Front Right & Rear Left & Rear Right, but no sound on (Center & Subwoofer & Side Left & Side Right), and the subwoofer is not actually silent, but distort noise (see the attachment or here) came out in low volume. Because these channels are from power amplifier board 2 (the one with 3 BASH STA575 chips), so I guess it's may related to power amplifier board 2.

I measured all the small electrolytic capacitors which are 13 4.7μF/50V & 6 22μF/50V & 8 2.2μF/50V, and found that capacity reading of one 4.4μF/40V capacitor is 6.9μF and the value will become larger if power on for several hours then power off to measure. Also, I found the capacity reading of three 22μF/50V capacitors are larger too -- but the reading values are almost identical like these three are paralleled together. I didn't solder down those capacitors when measuring though.
      Attached Files

Comment

and found that capacity reading of one 4.4μF/40V capacitor is 6.9μF and the value will become larger if power on for several hours then power off to measure.
        Good news, after solder two 4.7μF capacitors down,
        • Side Left & Side Right channel have sounds now.
        • Center channel has sound with low volume (at least it has sound).
        • Subwoofer has sound too, but not enough (like only has middle range frequency), it may related missing of the two bad capacitors (of course?)
        • Volume of Side Left channel is still a little bit lower. maybe related to other capacitors which has low capacity?

Anyway, I'm going to order 40 4.7μF non-polarized electrolytic capacitors, maybe Philips BC 193RP or Nichicon VP . Hopefully, it will fixed the speaker.

By the way, let's see one of two bad capacitor with larger capacity.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by moontide; 06-10-2016, 09:34 AM. Reason: add photo of a bad capacitor

Comment

Good news, after solder two 4.7μF capacitors down,
          • Side Left & Side Right channel have sounds now.
          • Center channel has sound with low volume (at least it has sound).
          • Subwoofer has sound too, but not enough (like only has middle range frequency), it may related missing of the two bad capacitors (of course?)
          • Volume of Side Left channel is still a little bit lower. maybe related to other capacitors which has low capacity?

Hopefully, it will fixed the speaker.
          Bad news, I soldered 3 new 4.7μF capacitors up, didn't make speaker work, even worse, it returned to "no sound / distort sound in low volume on (Center & Subwoofer & Side Left & Side Right) channels" state.

Even changed all electrolytic capacitors, and even disassembled the connector of audio cable which connected audio I/O board & power amplifier boards to clean glues , still no sound / distort sound on Center & Subwoofer & Side Left & Side Right channels.

I don't see visible damages or clear degraded glues on power amplifier boards, so now I'm lost ...

This is what the power amplifier board 2 looks now:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by moontide; 06-15-2016, 12:05 PM. Reason: add photo of disassemble cable connector

Comment

I measured +Vs -Vs CD+1 CD-1 CD+1 CD-2 of one STA575 chip, found that voltage input of CD-1 and CD-2 is almost 0V, that's not right. According the datasheet of STA575, it's operating range should be between -20.7V to -3V.

Since there's not schematics of power amplifier board, I think I need to trace the line on PCB board, that's could take me long time to do that ...
            Attached Files

Comment

Found a small bulge on the brown capacitor, could it be failed? There's no voltage (neerly zero) between two legs of this capacitor, while on the other board, it's around 6V
              Attached Files

Comment

Good news, after long time fixing (or perhaps damaging), I had fixed my speaker issue.

Long story in short, I replaced U1 (STABP01D, the 20 pins chip) and/or Q5 (near U1).

Two STABP01D chips, one good, one bad (right one).

The voltage output between #8 pin (MAIN OUTPUT to Q1 gate pin) to #9 pin (GND or actually 70V-) is very low, not enough to open the gate of Q1.
                And the resistance between the two legs is around 30 ohm, which makes the multimeter beeping.

STABP01D been replaced

I got part of the schematic of power amplifier board from http://www.tgahinfo.homecall.co.uk/S...heets/Buck.jpg, it's only include the buck regulator.

Let the speaker rock the room again, 动词打次!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by moontide; 07-10-2016, 10:38 AM. Reason: fixing chinglish

Comment

Working...
                X