Re-capping CD Players...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-capping CD Players...

I have been struggling with a decision about whether or not to re-cap a particular CD player. This started as a repair I got in for a mid-80's Kenwood DP-850 CD Player that had a display problem. Ended up being a shorted cap that was pulling down supply voltage to the VFD display. This unit has a good number of caps in it (as do many other players of it's age.) I have to believe that no matter the device, if it has an electrolytic cap in it, it is going to break down/degrade. Furthermore, I expect it will take the quality of sound with it as well (irrespective if it is a device generating signal or controlling/amplifying it.)

I have never re-capped a CD player or tape deck before, but I am planning to start; perhaps with this very Kenwood player. In any case, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this so that I can either get confirmation that what I am about to do is worth it or that I am wasting my time and should not bother.

Re: Re-capping CD Players...

I recap most of my 80's stereo equipment. Take pics and make notes of cap placement. Keep it simple. I disassemble the whole unit and wash boards with meen green and isopropyl alcohol. Good luck!

Comment

It's hard to think about but 1986 was thirty years ago. Everything that old should be recapped.
      sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Yeah....kind of figured. Mouser...here I come!

Comment

I love shopping at Mouser! Let us know what brand and series caps you choose please.

Comment

Perhaps I’m the black sheep of this forum, but I’ve never "recapped" anything, in the sense of methodically replacing every electrolytic capacitor. I just replace those capacitors that are causing problems or are objectively faulty.

Comment

Originally posted by rhomanski View Post
              It's hard to think about but 1986 was thirty years ago. Everything that old should be recapped.
              At that age it certainly wouldn't hurt, but I've got audio equipment older than that (a Marantz model 2015 receiver circa 1975 and a Grundig 2540U Tube-radio circa early-1960s) with original electrolytics (Elna and Nippon-Chemi-Con in the Marantz and Seimens in the Grundig) that are still good (the Grundig did have wax/paper caps that needed replaced though).

Audio equipment isn't generally very hard caps, so good caps and last a very long time in audio applications (often until the seals fail), but they do still start to become a liability at around 20 years or so (and cheap caps much less), so it is good practice to replace them if you are doing a major repair/overhaul of the equipment to save future headaches or if you are trying to chase down a problem (one thing to rule out).

Comment

I just finished re-capping my vintage Technics SL-P3 and Sony CDP-302. For the Technics, I used Nichicon PW in the power supply and a mixture of Elna Silmic II, Nichicon ES Muse and Fine Gold on the main board. I also replaced the caps on the transport with Nichicon MW miniature caps. For the 302, it got mostly Nichicon PW throughout except for the analog output coupling caps which were Elna Silmic II. I really can't say they sound any different, but they should hopefully last quite a bit longer now.

Comment

Working...
                X