Buzzing guitar amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buzzing guitar amp

Not too long ago, we found my sister's old guitar amp. Upon powering it up, it soon became clear there was something wrong with it. A full-volume 50hz buzzing was coming out of the speaker at all times, and turning the volume control did not have any effect on the sound. I could very faintly hear the input signal coming out of the speaker as well as the buzzing, and that WAS affected by the volume control - however it was hard to stay near the amp when it was making that loud buzzing!

We've thrown out the amp now (so I can't get the make and model), but I wondered if any of you guys had an idea what caused the buzzing noise? It was similar to the noise you get when you touch the other end of the guitar lead. Also, why was the buzzing not affected by the volume control? Could it be that the amp is always running at full-volume and the volume dial just attenuates the input?
    You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Re: Buzzing guitar amp

Ironically: bad caps.

Comment

Yes BADCAPS on the power supply circuit. Bad FILTER capacitor.

Comment

check defectives capacitors commonly electrolytic caps..
        replace the volume master or check it by multimeter if it is good
        check loose solder...

Comment

The problem is either a defective smoothing capacitor or more likely a bad solder join on one of them. Pity you threw it out.. it is and easy repair.

Comment

Working...
          X