Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ices EA9806 Equalizer Issue

Hello,

I have a Ices EA9806 car equalizer and it doesn't work properly. Interesting thing that it allows music only when you turn equalizer volume control to max and it makes strange noises. Could it be bad caps or anything else.

Photo:
    http://*************/photo/my-images/98/dsc01765hh.jpg/

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Ices EA9806 Equalizer Issue

I would not worry about caps. I would like to know how your radio is wired to it`s input or what inputs you are hooked into.

Also, was it working before? (the way it is wired now)

That is a power booster also. This should have floating grounds. and if you hook a radio to it make sure it does not have floating ground or use the rca input.

That has four outputs for front and rear speakers left and right.

Make sure it has it`s own power and ground. Do not ground it to the radio. You will end up with a ground loop.

I could use a bit more info if you could please.

If you don`t wire this properly it will be a paper weight.

Comment

I connected it properly, it turns on, the spectrum meters go up and down once and then nothing. No music.
      But as I said earlier it plays only on max volume of the equalizer but has noises.
      It has it's input rca's and output rca's. And also has 4 chanels for speakers.
      I alrealy recaped it just in case but can't figure out why it's not working.
      I didn't find any information on internet.

Comment

I think I can help you but I need to know how you have it hooked up.

Are you using it as a passive eq or are you using the amp? You should be using rca inputs whenever possible.

Once I see how you are using it I will be able to help you.

Was it working before?

Is it going to an amp?

Comment

Thank you for your help.

I connected it's input rca's to CD player and output rca's to amplifier.

Sorry but I am not able to make photo right.

I don't know if it was working before. My father bought it back in around 2000 and we didn't test it then. So maybe it wasn't working before.

I make a scheme how I connected everything.

Uploaded with *************

Comment

Ok, good. You did hook it up the way I was hoping you did.

If you take the sony rcas and hook them to the amp you should get sound.

Or use an ipod to check amp. Then use the ipod at the eq input rca to check the sony.

The other option since you may not have a scope handy is you can hook up a small speaker to the low level signal rca outputs. You will hear music but it will be very soft.
            500mv output typical on this

These are few things for you to check out.

I would try this with an ipod and hook speakers up to the outputs.

I saw 4 outputs inside that amp eq and that would be for front and rear left and right.
            I think you have a 4 channel amp/eq on your hands.

It would be a bit odd to have the amp on and be using it as a passive eq.

I think those rcas are four inputs and not two inputs and two outputs

Comment

I tried to hook up everything, but there is no signal from the output.

And about the rca's they are labeled as inputs and outputs.

I need to poke around with multimeter.

My guess is something wrong with hardware, cause the signal comes in but it does't come out.

I would like to fix it cause it's kinda vintage and not that surface mount junk.

Comment

Need better pictures and upload them here, rather than giving a link to somewhere else.
                Links go bad then later readers can't see what was being talked about.
                The app to upload is in the advanced mode [button below] and down below the text box.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Ok, sorry
                  Very hard to make good pictures with my camera...
                  Last 2 pics is were the input and output rca's are soldered.
                  Front LCD panel removed that I can see everything better.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Did you try rca input and hook speakers to the outputs from the internal amp?

You can bench run this with a good power supply (10 amp with inline fuse).

output ics don`t have much heatsink just don`t crank it up if it does work.

This has a master push button switch on the front panel. These old units get really dirty inside that switch. You could be losing signal there.

A scope makes this a bit easier to chase down the input signal.

These output chips normally are for each speaker: front, rear, left and right and are the most common failure.

They are the floating ground type (no speaker output wires can touch ground or you will kill the output chip).

The preamp eq hold up pretty well except for some solder touch up. These were soldered
                    pretty good back in the day. mostly check the heavy components on the board for solder cracks.

I would use this as an eq amp. I would not waste your time using it as a passive eq.

This thing will crank up loud for what it is with some 4 ohm speakers.

do you have a wire diagram for the high level output wires going to the speakers?

As far as the input and output rcas the bypass switch is where they all come together and I still think that is where your problem is. (contact cleaner)

The signal should go in and right back out through that switch (off) or get sent to the preamp eq (pushed in).

Comment

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate that.
                      Spend some time (at night) and tested everything I could I find out that lm2005t-m is shorted. Desoldered it and tested works like champ.
                      Now I need to find new chips, I thing that I will change all of them.
                      And this find is powerful and the sound quality really amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X