Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to cheap Caps after 30 years in a hot console?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens to cheap Caps after 30 years in a hot console?

This: (My MCI JH-528)

Re: What happens to cheap Caps after 30 years in a hot console?

Welcome, Ssound!
    The "SH" logo on these capacitors indicates that they are Siemens units.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Hello Japlytic!, thanks a lot its good to be here!

Yes they are siemens, the 22/63V in the bottom is a ROE, the problem is that these capacitors are 85ÂșC, and this console produces a tremendous amount of heat. Another problem is that the capacitors maximum voltage ratings are very close to the actual voltage at which its being runned, so that coupled with the heat and 30 years of use equals disaster.

My favorite capacitors are Panasonic FM and Rubycon ZLG series which have a combination of the lowest impedance and longer life ive seen so far, but both of those dont cover all the measures, and the ZLG are specially rare, so i have to couple my recap with another caps like Panasonic FC. The Nippon Chemi-con caps are also great, im currently using KZE series in another device im recapping, ive been looking everywhere for the KZH and KZM series which have lower impedance and longer life, but cant seem to find anyone who distributes them.
      Last edited by Ssound; 01-25-2011, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Hmm, I wouldn't really call caps that lasted 30 years "cheap" or bad, I'm willing to bet that even the current favs are not gonna last anywhere near 30 years. And remember that cap technology has evolved since 30 years ago.

Many items, be it audio gear or other electrical products, that are more than 20-30 years old are still around today, and you can be sure that NONE of the junk made today will be around 30 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by mxslick View Post
          Hmm, I wouldn't really call caps that lasted 30 years "cheap" or bad, I'm willing to bet that even the current favs are not gonna last anywhere near 30 years. And remember that cap technology has evolved since 30 years ago.

Many items, be it audio gear or other electrical products, that are more than 20-30 years old are still around today, and you can be sure that NONE of the junk made today will be around 30 years from now.
          Im sorry, they didnt last for 30 years, they were dead long ago, its just that im replacing them after 30 years

Comment

Originally posted by Ssound View Post
            Im sorry, they didnt last for 30 years, they were dead long ago, its just that im replacing them after 30 years
            Ahhh, that's another story..but also note that ANY electrolytic cap will dry out and change value if left sitting around un-energized for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by mxslick View Post

Yeah, I have these old Rubycon CE W I've written about somewhere in FAQ. Small capacities up to 100 uF, manufactured in 1992, labeled for 85 °C. ESR still good and almost full capacity! Of course it's slightly due to they were on use almost every day (old TV), but still, which crap could run for so long

On the other hand Samxons RS (although I consider them quite good) lost almost 50 % of capacity when they were just laying unused. I know that's all about the aqua electrolyte etc. - you know what, it does not matter to me if they use aqua, oil or sh!t electrolyte. They should use electrolyte which do not suck after two years without use and is able to survive 20 years of use than. When it was possible 20 years ago, why not today? Everyone says technology is better, caps are better than in 80's and 90's
well sometimes I don't see it
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                On the other hand Samxons RS (although I consider them quite good) lost almost 50 % of capacity when they were just laying unused.
                They are OK after all, the meter was bad.
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

You scared me there for a moment
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Those were some older 100uF/16V ones…

Comment

Not too surprising audio equipment isn't generally too hard on caps (though a hot console is worse than something well ventalated) so good ones can last a very long time (they ususlly untill the seals fail and they dry out).

I have a circa 1965 Grundig 2540 tube-radio with Seimens electrolytics that still test good (the paper-wax caps did need replacing though), and a circa 1974 Marantz 2015 with a mix of Nippon-Chemi-Con, Nichicon, and Elna caps that test good.

Even cheap caps can last a deccade or more in audio equipment, I've seen the Lelon, Ltec, and Jamicon caps last 10-15 years in audo equipment before finally failing.
                      Last edited by dmill89; 05-29-2014, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Wut? They've been just laying in a bag before I tested them, I've never used them before that.

Comment

Wut? They've been just laying in a bag before I tested them, I've never used them before that.
                          sorry mixed you up with the OP.
                          Last edited by dmill89; 05-29-2014, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X