Hot Air Station - Air Pump Failing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hot Air Station - Air Pump Failing

the cloud look is caused by the flux boiling off when it was soldered, look below it - some pins have hairline rings

on the bright side, lead-free solder is much stronger so cracked joints are less common.

Comment

Oddly the air control seems weaker. I have full range again but just seems weaker than before even at max air. Is it possible for a new pot to cause this or?

Comment

check it with a meter

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          check it with a meter
          Check the potentiometer? It has a smooth range.

Could I adjust the trim pot to increase air?

Comment

You could measure rms ACV at the air pump and see if it's going up to full mains voltage or not. Or use the 40W light bulb.

The trimpot only sets the lowest pump speed, it would not affect full speed.

If the pot goes to near zero ohms, and the triac is still not full on, I would change the cap from 0.1uF to 0.047uF (47nF) for 120VAC operation.
            The air pump speed control design is el-cheapo and missing a RC snubber, so I'm not sure how much voltage stress the triac sees, or how much current the main potentiometer sees.

I drew this schematic of the YH 852D+ V2 pump controller, based on your pictures but I cannot see all the parts. It's a typical light dimmer circuit. Part values are all over the place depending on make (Kada, Yihua, Saike etc).
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
              You could measure rms ACV at the air pump and see if it's going up to full mains voltage or not. Or use the 40W light bulb.

The trimpot only sets the lowest pump speed, it would not affect full speed.

If the pot goes to near zero ohms, and the triac is still not full on, I would change the cap from 0.1uF to 0.047uF (47nF) for 120VAC operation.
              The air pump speed control design is el-cheapo and missing a RC snubber, so I'm not sure how much voltage stress the triac sees, or how much current the main potentiometer sees.

I drew this schematic of the YH 852D+ V2 pump controller, based on your pictures but I cannot see all the parts. It's a typical light dimmer circuit. Part values are all over the place depending on make (Kada, Yihua, Saike etc).
              Seems to smoothly change voltage from 45vac (lowest air) up to 118vac highest setting. I tweaked the trim pot to get lowest air speed to 50vac as it seemed a little too non-existent at that setting.

I thought maybe this hose was to blame so I squeezed it open but there was no change over all. Maybe it's the pump not putting out same air as when it was new?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by caphair; 03-29-2019, 05:36 AM.

Comment

maybe there is a blockage - like where the wire joins the air and leaves the unit - that area used to kink a lot on mine.

Comment

maybe there is a blockage - like where the wire joins the air and leaves the unit - that area used to kink a lot on mine.
                  You mean at the connector held in by 2 screws going out to the hot air wand?

Comment

yes, where the pipe meets the base

Comment

Do you mean there could be blockage inside the little box that the air and wires join together or that the hose would kink at that point?

Here's a pic with the hose removed. I just see wires inside that I'm guessing is normal.

How would I remove the hose at the front to check for blockage? Does it just twist off? I tried but it wouldn't budge
                      Attached Files

Comment

I even tilted the reservoir? white tank to relief the kink of the hose coming off it but there was no noticeable difference
                        Attached Files

Comment

Over time of use the volume of vacuum or air supply slowly decrease
                          I have not found a way to repair them
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply
                          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

You will need a vacuum pump.

https://okelectronic.wordpress.com/2013/04/

My suggestion is this one. (picture 1)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by capwizard; 03-30-2019, 07:14 PM.

Comment

for a blower??
                              lol

what may be interesting, but financially questionable:
                              convert it with a new handpiece with a fan in it.
                              only problem, the fan is 12 or 24v and the original pump isnt.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                Over time of use the volume of vacuum or air supply slowly decrease
                                I have not found a way to repair them
                                Good to know. I'll just live with it for now I guess.

Comment

for a blower??
                                  lol

what may be interesting, but financially questionable:
                                  convert it with a new handpiece with a fan in it.
                                  only problem, the fan is 12 or 24v and the original pump isnt.
                                  Don't the models with the fan in the wand have weaker airflow?

Comment

weaker? as in pressure, or flow?

either way, i dont see why it would matter - i use mine at about 20-25%.
                                    dont be a Rossmann, dont blow your smd across the desk!!

new video out today - i call it - the flying sub-module!!
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBaaa-aajiM

Comment

Pressure mostly. I like to use higher air lower temp. Found out it’s safer for most things. Or maybe that’s just how I learned

Comment

pressure - unknown.
                                        you would need some type of restrictor and flow meter to know that.

Comment

pressure - unknown.
                                          you would need some type of restrictor and flow meter to know that.
                                          Flow then lol

Comment

Working...
                                          X