No announcement yet.

Replacing BGA components with hot air.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing BGA components with hot air.

i still need to get the details of the big one from my m8

Comment

I purchased a step up converter like below and ran 12-2 from my panel. Until you purchase your supplies to run from your dryer you'll have about the same invested anyway and you won't have the wife yelling she can't use the dryer because you are playing with your machine
      http://www.voltageconverters.com/ite...asp?ic=VC3000W
      The $680 new one is the newer model because it does use the K-type thermocouple and it is located in the front. There are 2 thermocouples on the machine, one for bottom heat and one for top. I purchased one of these so I can monitor how even the heat is from time to time, but generally only use the one on the machine:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Channel-K-...QAAOSwsFpWRqxE

Comment

This one appears to be fitted for 120v
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/BGA-REWORK-S...YAAOSwQjNW-0So

Comment

Originally posted by nojgib View Post
          I purchased a step up converter like below and ran 12-2 from my panel. Until you purchase your supplies to run from your dryer you'll have about the same invested anyway and you won't have the wife yelling she can't use the dryer because you are playing with your machine
          http://www.voltageconverters.com/ite...asp?ic=VC3000W
          The $680 new one is the newer model because it does use the K-type thermocouple and it is located in the front. There are 2 thermocouples on the machine, one for bottom heat and one for top. I purchased one of these so I can monitor how even the heat is from time to time, but generally only use the one on the machine:
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Channel-K-...QAAOSwsFpWRqxE
          I have stuff to measure the temp with other k-type thermocouples. I just thought one wasn't enough to control the heaters. I'm glad to hear they're two of them on that machine. The video only showed one for some reason, maybe the video was for the older model or something?

I'm confused with the step-up converter. I understand that it can convert 120VAC to 240VAC, but because my 120VAC wire in the wall isn't a very heavy gauge, it can't handle very many amps / watts. Wouldn't the step-up converter need that bigger gauge wire so it doesn't trip a breaker?
          -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

no, it needs a bigger gauge so it wont melt your wiring!

Comment

Originally posted by nojgib View Post
              This one appears to be fitted for 120v
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/BGA-REWORK-S...YAAOSwQjNW-0So
              Would 2,000 watt be enough though? Also, my calculations show around 17 amps is what would be used. The other one wasn't much higher though. 2,000 for the preheater, 400 for the main unit. I'm guess at 2,000 watt, it's probably 1,600 for the preheater, 400 for the top heater. Thanks.

Comment

I'm also looking into those a little more expensive Fundar FD-6900's. ( http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...037971308.html )

I like the touch screen part, but they're more than double, almost 3x as much as the other.

Comment

I think I decided. Instead of the ACHI or the Fundar, I think I'm going to go for the Scotle IR PRO SC V5 BGA Rework Station. From what I've been reading, they're similar to the ACHI but just higher build quality. It's a little more pricey. I might use one of those step-up transformers or I might just try hooking up a junction box to the dryer's line. I dunno yet.

Comment

use the dryer socket

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      use the dryer socket
                      Okay. Is there a reason you say that? Just out of curiosity.

I've seen a few different ACHI models. Some come with a plug, some just come with wires. I don't know yet if this Scotle just comes with wires that need to be hard wired in (or have a plug attached) or if it actually has a plug on it. I'm probably going to need help hooking it up to electricity

Comment

higher voltage is better and safer than higher current.

Comment

Okay. Thanks Stj. Now I'm looking at the Scotle HR-460C. I like the camera part of it. Three zones but only the pre-heater is IR. The rest, from my understanding, is hot air. It has a touch screen display though and the price is right. I don't want to go any higher. But is the hot air going to work? It has a 7" touch screen display, a CCD high res camera. It has a special heater for the bottom of the board (for the BGA chip getting heated) along with the the top heater. Here's a link to it:
                          http://www.scotle.com//scotle-hr460c...l384_p147.html

Comment

Man, this is such a tough decision! Now I'm thinking maybe the Zephyrtronics ZT-7 with the ZT-1 BGS Big Grid AirBath. This is harder than trying to pick out just the right parts to build a custom PC!

Comment

that's nice,
                              it's similar to my m8's in that it has IR pre-heat and overhead hot-air AND hot-air under the chip.

triple-attack!

i really need to get my m8 to take a foto of the base of his so you can see the duct between the heating plates.

that unit does look nice - 4800w
                              although the European schuko plug in the foto is only rated at 10A (2200w) so i dont know what that's about unless it has 2 seperate cables - not impossible.

Comment

I think I might actually go for the Zephyrtronics if I can get the guy to answer my last question. Picture shows a stand. If it comes with the stand, I'm going to purchase it. He claims it all works. It's just really really cheap for a Zephyrtronics. When I looked into them before, they were really expensive. Although it's all hot air and no IR, I think they're worth it.

Comment

If I'm reading this right, the Zephyrtronics ZT-7 nozzles are freaking 299$ a pop and the stencils are freaking 349$ a pop! If it was something like 299$ for every nozzle or 349$ for every stencil, then maybe, but at freaking 299$ a nozzle, I can't be paying that!

From what I've been reading, different BGA components need different nozzles with hot air. That's freaking insane man!!!!

http://www.zeph.com/nozzles_bga.htm

Comment

you do need the right diameter to match the package.
                                    but they arent that expensive for the achi/scotle - more like 40-70$ i think

Comment

that zt btw either has a huge base like a pallet or has a very small pre-heat area.
                                      what's with the pyramid obsession - are they masons?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        that zt btw either has a huge base like a pallet or has a very small pre-heat area.
                                        what's with the pyramid obsession - are they masons?
                                        I dunno, but they do seem to like pyramid shapes, don't they? They're supposed to be really good units, NASA uses them I believe. I went and picked up some stuff I bought off them once, down at the Langley Research Base. The stuff was all custom made, I believe in house. The soldering was really well done. It didn't look anything like what you get now when you get PCBs fabricated. Even the older stuff was really well done. The traces were this silverish colour and the boards looked a bit weird. I might have a couple still. If so, I'll post some pictures.

If I remember correctly, the components used were pretty good quality too, not cheap stuff.

Comment

i'v heard about the NASA auctions - some guys on the SGI forum went and got a lot of computer gear.
                                          several pallets of it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X