Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to replace SMD blue Led with conventional red LED?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to replace SMD blue Led with conventional red LED?

"I heard that a blue LED has different voltage values than green and red ones. Green and red ones are easily replaceable, but how do I do that with the blue one?"

"I have to use the blue one, because green means fully charged and blue means charging."

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240415_172809.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	3253246

"A major mistake by buck converter manufacturers: They always "always" forget the solder pads for your own LEDs."

Comment

voltage is not important, your limiting the current.
      so you may want to increase the resistor value a bit - or not, it depends how bright the leds are

Comment

One thing I would add if you are going to use this type of component on a board that has surface mounted parts and you want to use through hole components you can but keep your components leads short as possible and use hot glue to keep them in place and not ripping the components traces from being torn off the board another option is to use very thin wire to the LED and still put some hot glue on the wires to keep them from falling off the board from vibration and breaking loose
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Thanks,

Red smd led = 1,7v
          Green smd led = 1,7v

Blue smd led = 2,5v

Comment

thats not important - it's the mA required for the brightness you want out of them.

Comment

Yeah, look up something like an NSI45020 or NSI45015. LED's are current controlled not voltage controlled.

Comment

Well, since you want to have a red LED in place of a blue LED, the answer is simple: you don't need to remove the blue LED at all. Just install the red (or green) LED in parallel to the blue LED. Since red and green LEDs have a lower voltage drop, they will begin to conduct way before the blue LED does. Thus, the blue LED should not light up at all (or it might just barely, but I doubt it would be too visible.)
                In fact, I just helped a family friend's kid with an issue like this last week. He was doing a project for an intro Engineering class and couldn't understand why from the two LEDs he had installed in parallel, only the red one was lighting up properly. He had the proper current limiting resistor and all... but he didn't know that red and green LEDs had different voltage drops, hence why one would light up and the other wouldn't.

Comment

Is not that easy
                  The leds have a weird polarity.uPlus and minus are reversed on the second one.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	wqer2wr23r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	8.2 KB ID:	3259153

Comment

Doesn't matter. I have a few red (or was it green[?], I forget now) LEDs like that, where the big "cathode" side seen inside through the LED lens is actually the Anode. I just flip those around and they work fine.
                    Or are you dealing with 3-terminal LED's here??

Comment

Working...
                    X