• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESR meter upgrades

Originally posted by stj View Post
    @vinceroger69 & GoNzO

test versions.
    the bangood ones probably work, but you need to let me know the best contrast value.

the old text display one has 2 possible wirings, so i made both - vince - let me know which one works when your ready.
    will do in about a hour stj as just got new atmega chip from rs so will use it to run tests

Comment

manual
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
        will do in about a hour stj as just got new atmega chip from rs so will use it to run tests
        you got a surface-mount one? that was fast.

Comment

no the other one for my 2016 tester just in case is faulty in anyway the smd ic still not come as yet.

Comment

@vinceroger69 & GoNzO

test versions.
            the bangood ones probably work, but you need to let me know the best contrast value.

the old text display one has 2 possible wirings, so i made both - vince - let me know which one works when your ready.
            43 contrast is good, the default 40 is also fine tbh

10bit PWM is exactly that, it can generate a PWM signal (5v) with 1024 steps controlled by the encoder.

handy maybe for testing dimmers or servo's
            and fans?

Comment

standard 16mhz just a blank screen then powers off
              strip grid blank screen tester stays on untill powerd off
              Last edited by vinceroger69; 07-21-2016, 06:28 AM.

Comment

standard 16mhz just a blank screen then powers off
                strip grid blank screen tester stays on untill powerd off
                those are for your old character-display tester - hence the 2x16 and reference to surface-mount cpu

dont put them in the new one!

Comment

Originally posted by GoNz0 View Post
                  and fans?
                  no idea, i dont have any.
                  maybe fans - maybe even invertor brightness.

Comment

Thanks for the files for my old tester will update you when the smd ic comes and i forgot to pick up the right angled header so just ordered one.
                    My 2016 tester works great now so far i have just added the 16 mhz crystal changed the voltage regulator and used the new atmega 328p ic and updated firmware too your small font 16 mhz one and calibrated the unit seems to work ok now so thanks for your help with this tester i will continue with the old tester asap.

Comment

Thanks for the files for my old tester will update you when the smd ic comes and i forgot to pick up the right angled header so just ordered one.
                      My 2016 tester works great now so far i have just added the 16 mhz crystal changed the voltage regulator and used the new atmega 328p ic and updated firmware too your small font 16 mhz one and calibrated the unit seems to work ok now so thanks for your help with this tester i will continue with the old tester asap.
                      just a thought stj i wasnt going to change the power button on this spare tester so no rotary encoder will your files still work ok?
                      another question im thinking of fitting the blue led screen i have spare here for this tester you mentioned i may have to alter the resistors? as blue uses diffrent voltages anyidea what size smd resitors and ohms value i may need so i can add some to rs order thanks.

Comment

software works fine without the encoder,
                        as for the led, you need the exact part number of the display to get the datasheet.

Comment

TFT - i have someone dropping one of those off to be built with extra bits soon.

question, did you add the battery cable connector? i'v not seen it in the picture of parts - i thought the cable was soldered to the board?
                          (i was going to add a molex header anyway )
                          Yes, i added the molex connector, I didn't like the soldered wires and i have plenty of spares, it felt a bit flimsy and I changed the battery connector to one of the hard plastic types.

Thanks for the info on the 10 bit PWM setting. I don't think it's a feature i'll need to use.

Impressive bit of kit for £11.

Comment

everything from china is impressive, i suspect it's just that we have been ripped-off for so long that the real cost of stuff is a shock to us.

i just picked 2 these up:
                            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321454659128
                            i remember paying £8 for one in maplin over 20years ago!

and some of these to go with it.
                            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141666306520

Comment

everything from china is impressive, i suspect it's just that we have been ripped-off for so long that the real cost of stuff is a shock to us.

i just picked 2 these up:
                              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321454659128
                              i remember paying £8 for one in maplin over 20years ago!

and some of these to go with it.
                              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141666306520
                              Back when Maplins was good and the staff could suggest alternative components for your projects.

Comment

lol - dont get me started on that.
                                last time i was in one, the woman gave me the wrong resistors.
                                she said they were in the right drawer and thought i was messing her about - she had no idea the coloured bands actually meant anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The colours mean something ?? I thought they were just to pretty those thingys up !!

I nipped in as I was on a job and needed a 1m patch cable.

"£13 for a Cat6e, is the cheapest we have mate"
                                  "Thanks, I'll be going to the pound shop over the road then"

Comment

Hello All

This is my first post in here and I was referred by another member since sadly I bough a tester from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191869802386...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and it came bad.

The tester doesn't turn not. When I press the rotary button the LCD lits and as soon as I release the button it turns off.
                                    I tried to reprogram the chip using the files from mega328_st7565_kit (the last ones on the site).
                                    TransistorTester.eep dated 4/21/2016
                                    TransistorTester.hex dated 7/9/2016

but I do not know it it was success or not
                                    Code:
                                    C:\AVR>avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p -F -B 4.0 -e -U flash:w:"TransistorTester.hex"
                                    :i -U eeprom:w:"TransistorTester.eep":i -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U e
                                    fuse:w:0x04:m

avrdude: set SCK frequency to 187500 Hz
                                    avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update
                                    avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
                                    avrdude: erasing chip
                                    avrdude: set SCK frequency to 187500 Hz
                                    avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update
                                    avrdude: reading input file "TransistorTester.hex"
                                    avrdude: writing flash (29952 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 20.10s

avrdude: 29952 bytes of flash written
                                    avrdude: verifying flash memory against TransistorTester.hex:
                                    avrdude: load data flash data from input file TransistorTester.hex:
                                    avrdude: input file TransistorTester.hex contains 29952 bytes
                                    avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 15.55s

avrdude: verifying ...
                                    avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
                                         0x00 != 0x2d
                                    avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: safemode: lfuse changed! Was f7, and is now 8c
                                    Would you like this fuse to be changed back? [y/n] n
                                    avrdude: safemode: hfuse changed! Was df, and is now 0
                                    avrdude: safemode: efuse changed! Was 1, and is now 6
                                    avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (E:01, H:DF, L:F7)

avrdude done. Thank you.
                                    I got a spare blank chip. do you think I should try with that one? In case it doesn't work will I be able to reprogram my spare for use with arduino?

I'm sorry to be this cheap but where I live those chips are not easy to come by and bringing them in here is expensive.

Thank you all for your help
                                    Belen
                                    Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-23-2016, 12:46 PM. Reason: Added CODE tags

Comment

I saw your post on eevblog are you programming the chip on the esr pcb? though a fitted header?
                                      Last edited by vinceroger69; 07-23-2016, 06:42 AM.

Comment

i dont know where you got the command for USBasp from,

try this:
                                        avrdude -c USBasp -P usb -p m328p -U flash:w:Code.HEX \-U eeprom:wata.HEX \-U lfuse:w:0xf7:m \-U hfuse:w:0xd9:m \-U efuse:w:0xfc:m
                                        and try these files:
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by stj; 07-23-2016, 06:45 AM.

Comment

that's the original software read from a working one.
                                          Last edited by stj; 07-23-2016, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X