esr meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

esr meter?

since ive picked up a few tools lately like a multi meter and a caliper would a esr meter be worth the expense and is there anything good under $50?
    My Computer.
    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Re: esr meter?

Do you have any training about using an ESR meter ?
    Your price range leads to the toys category, and I have no sugestions.
    But I have a general sugestion as possitive thinking man, give to your skills some time to grow before you get in to the advanced measurments.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
      Do you have any training about using an ESR meter ?
      Your price range leads to the toys category, and I have no sugestions.
      But I have a general sugestion as possitive thinking man, give to your skills some time to grow before you get in to the advanced measurments.
      alright just wanted to know if it would be worth it.
      My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Kiriakos is as usual annoying and full of crap. In his world, only 500$+ tools are good.

Ignore him.

The cheap ESR meters are not really measuring ESR but rather they compute something that approximates the ESR value.

If you do need a tool that actually measures ESR at various frequencies like 10kHz or 100kHz, the lowest you'd have to pay would be about 200-250$.

But for determining if a capacitor is bad or not with a pretty good "trust" level, for repairing hardware, nothing very serious or professional, you can buy some of these "toys" like BlueESR or other home made esr meters.

You can buy the BlueESR meter from their site for about 79$. You can probably get it from eBay at around the same prices.

I personally have ESRMicro and it works just fine: http://www.radiodevices.ru/esr/esr4.htm

You can talk to RusMike here on this forum and he may be able to sell you one at a good price. It should be cheaper than BlueEsr, closer to 50$.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
          Kiriakos is as usual annoying and full of crap. In his world, only 500$+ tools are good.

Ignore him.
          If you can not prove me wrong, then close the hole in your head that called as mouth, consider this move as one gift at the international society.

Comment

Originally posted by Phaihn View Post
            alright just wanted to know if it would be worth it.
            What ever I suggested was so to help you about making a wiser choice in the future.
            Knowledge is something that you can easily obtain in time, the hard part is the worthwhile experiences.

Regards.

Comment

You are not wrong but you're also not contributing anything useful to the thread. As usual. Just like with your Youtube comments on other people's videos.

You know very well what he's talking about and you can deduct from what he's asking that he's not looking for top quality, high end equipment, he's not looking for a desktop LCR meter or something similar. It's obvious he's not looking for that.

But not only you belittle him, you don't even suggest something. You would contribute something by explaining why such cheap tools are not good instead of writing shit.

Seriously, it's like being in a forum about repairing VW beetle cars and you popping up saying people need to buy Ferrari or Porsche branded tools to fix the engine.

Why are you even here if you're not helping or doing anything useful? Masturbating your ego?

Comment

Children, could both of you tone down the insults? That goes for both of you.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

dont know about the esrmicro but i have used the dick smith with good results.
                  if you can assemble it yourself get the kit.its certainly not pro grade but its fine for service work.its also been around long enough to be a mature design.
                  its probably your best choice in the budget you posted.if you search a bit you may find the old style kit for that.
                  btw the projects creater bob parker is a member here.

Comment

Ignore him.

The cheap ESR meters are not really measuring ESR but rather they compute something that approximates the ESR value.

If you do need a tool that actually measures ESR at various frequencies like 10kHz or 100kHz, the lowest you'd have to pay would be about 200-250$.

But for determining if a capacitor is bad or not with a pretty good "trust" level, for repairing hardware, nothing very serious or professional, you can buy some of these "toys" like BlueESR or other home made esr meters.

You can buy the BlueESR meter from their site for about 79$. You can probably get it from eBay at around the same prices.

I personally have ESRMicro and it works just fine: http://www.radiodevices.ru/esr/esr4.htm

You can talk to RusMike here on this forum and he may be able to sell you one at a good price. It should be cheaper than BlueEsr, closer to 50$.
                    thanks.
                    What ever I suggested was so to help you about making a wiser choice in the future.
                    Knowledge is something that you can easily obtain in time, the hard part is the worthwhile experiences.

Regards.
                    what training do i really need just to find out if a capacitor is good or not i am not spending more then $100 on a tool to do that. i am willing to spend more then $50 on it tho.

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

Children, could both of you tone down the insults? That goes for both of you.
                    thanks.

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                    dont know about the esrmicro but i have used the dick smith with good results.
                    if you can assemble it yourself get the kit.its certainly not pro grade but its fine for service work.its also been around long enough to be a mature design.
                    its probably your best choice in the budget you posted.if you search a bit you may find the old style kit for that.
                    btw the projects creater bob parker is a member here.
                    thanks for your input can you get a link to it or a web page cant find it on ebay?
                    Last edited by Phaihn; 12-17-2012, 07:37 PM.
                    My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

He means the Blue ESR... Bob Parker made that old kit, the same design is sold as Blue ESR with some updates parts.

You can get the kit or pre-made from the website : http://www.anatekcorp.com/blueesr.htm

Comment

He means the Blue ESR... Bob Parker made that old kit, the same design is sold as Blue ESR with some updates parts.

You can get the kit or pre-made from the website : http://www.anatekcorp.com/blueesr.htm
                        lawl i really thott that was the name of it. :P i think i would prefer the kit if its fairly cheaper.
                        My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

The blue ESR meter kit is available on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AnaTek-Blue-...item2575307d31

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                            The blue ESR meter kit is available on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AnaTek-Blue-...item2575307d31
                            ok thanks.
                            My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Forgot to mention there'a a fully asembled/tested version for $20 more. Also on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                Forgot to mention there'a a fully asembled/tested version for $20 more. Also on ebay.
                                k ill have to think on it wont be able to even buy something till next year
                                My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

I'm looking at getting the pre-assembled from the AnaTek site. Are they quick with shipping? I've looked on ebay and the prices are about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Phaihn View Post
                                    thanks.

what training do i really need just to find out if a capacitor is good or not i am not spending more then $100 on a tool to do that. i am willing to spend more then $50 on it tho.
                                    The training that you need is smartness, download first some datasheets about capacitors.
                                    Investigate what the manufacturers offer as data.

In some cases they offer as comparison point only the dissipation factor that only one LCR is capable to calculate.

The Blue ESR is an outdated solution in 2012 - 2013, especially for the modern Low ESR generation of capacitors, and so who cares if it is cheap.

How many times are you willing to pay the price for getting finally a proper meter for ESR measurements ?

And now my Golden advice (exercise).
                                    Get in your hand 10 electrolytic capacitors from dead devices that they was made between 2000-2010 and get the datasheets for them.

Read them, compare them, and then select the proper instrument for those components.
                                    Last edited by Kiriakos GR; 12-18-2012, 06:30 AM.

Comment

The training that you need is smartness, download first some datasheets about capacitors.
                                      Investigate what the manufacturers offer as data.

In some cases they offer as comparison point only the dissipation factor that only one LCR is capable to calculate.

The Blue ESR is an outdated solution in 2012 - 2013, especially for the modern Low ESR generation of capacitors, and so who cares if it is cheap.

How many times are you willing to pay the price for getting finally a proper meter for ESR measurements ?

And now my Golden advice (exercise).
                                      Get in your hand 10 electrolytic capacitors from dead devices that they was made between 2000-2010 and get the datasheets for them.

Read them, compare them, and then select the proper instrument for those components.
                                      ok ill keep that in mind i wont have the money for anything really good most likley it would be cheaper to shot gun most capacitor issues.
                                      My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Kiriakos, like usual, is being awkward.

Capacitors essentially always fail with increased ESR.

Dissipation factor only enters the equation if capacitance falls.

But, here's the fun part: Many ESR meters, and many multimeters, also measure capacitance.

So, there is no need to measure dissipation factor (=ESR/Xc where Xc can be calculated knowing ESR meter frequency, typically 100kHz, and the capacitance.)
                                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
                                        X