Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical light banding on edges of Panasonic 50CX802

Hi,

Had some great help on here with a previous TV so I'm back!

Recently picked up a 50 inch Panasonic CX802 and it has bright vertical bars on both edges, which I have pictured

The image is an exaggerated version of the effect (finding the worst shade in Photoshop and over exposing the photo). It is only the far right/left brightest strips that are the problem when watching.

Frustratingly it also has an effect on colour saturation in those areas and is visible when watching films etc.

I have tried many combinations in the picture settings of the TV to no avail. None of the preset modes do away with the issue, nor does following AVForum's recommended settings.

I suspect there's not a lot I can do about it but I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty if there are any options so please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by jonnyapps; 02-05-2018, 06:13 PM.

Re: Vertical light banding on edges of Panasonic 50CX802

Need to see a picture with content on its screen to further diagnose. From here it looks rather normal if you superimposed the picture. Could be LED backlight bleed If it is edge lit
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
      Need to see a picture with content on its screen to further diagnose. From here it looks rather normal if you superimposed the picture. Could be LED backlight bleed If it is edge lit
      Sure, I'll take some photos/footage tonight when home.

I find it odd because most other complaints about the TV are the opposite. This for example.

Comment

The following are all 'correctly' exposed and match my viewing experience.

Here is a photo on a menu:

Here is a video with prevalent greys: https://i.imgur.com/HhjykbO.mp4

and here is the issue in action, with paler sides:

I have video footage of the scenes those are grabbed from too but it's stubbornly refusing to upload currently.

Comment

It's probably backlight non-uniformity and unfortunately, there's probably very little you can do.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Wow that's quite a bit of backlight bleed! Does this change with a gentle twisting motion back and forth? That's crazy for a high end tv!

Comment

what are the chances that someone else was in the set and changed out some of the leds.

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                what are the chances that someone else was in the set and changed out some of the leds.
                Plausible in so much as I bought it secondhand. Thankfully I only paid £350 for it. Not afraid to open it up and find out, if it would help anything.

Comment

Wow that's quite a bit of backlight bleed! Does this change with a gentle twisting motion back and forth? That's crazy for a high end tv!
                  Nope. No change. I've also tried loosening/tightening the screws in case it was a pressure thing.

Comment

I would say the diffusers are no good. Possibly partially melted from heat from the led's. This is considering that others seem to have darker bars on each sides. Design IMHO

Comment

I would say the diffusers are no good. Possibly partially melted from heat from the led's. This is considering that others seem to have darker bars on each sides. Design IMHO
                      Unfixable?

Comment

Worth stripping the TV to have a look. I've just repaired edge LEDs on two 50" Panasonics.
                        The first one went smooth, the second and I mustn't have put it back properly as there is light leakage on the right hand side where my LEDs are. Either the thick plastic that transmits the light is out of place or the LED strips aren't sitting flat.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                          Worth stripping the TV to have a look. I've just repaired edge LEDs on two 50" Panasonics.
                          The first one went smooth, the second and I mustn't have put it back properly as there is light leakage on the right hand side where my LEDs are. Either the thick plastic that transmits the light is out of place or the LED strips aren't sitting flat.
                          Can't say I've ever tried such a thing before. I'll have a look around for some tutorials and calculate the odds of catastrophic failure!

Comment

Did you ever have any luck with this, jonnyapps?

Comment

Originally posted by kca View Post
                              Did you ever have any luck with this, jonnyapps?
                              Sorry for the delayed reply.
                              I didn't take it any further and have been tolerating it for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X