Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice/suggestions on a "dead" Samsung 2693HM

Hi there,

New member doing some research into an issue with a Samsung 2693HM that I was gifted earlier today. I'm not an electronics expert or tech, just what you might consider an average Joe to some degree that's been mucking around with consumer electronics for decades. Having said that, I'll cut to the chase:

I did several hours of research on the specific problem I'm having with this 2693HM and it seems like most owners either had the "2 seconds to black" issue or the white screen issue; I haven't noted many that stated they had or have the same issue that I do so here's what's happening.

- Monitor appears to turn on when the power switch in the rear is set to On, blue power light on the front, no noise heard, no backlight "flash" of any kind, shining a flashlight onto the screen at various angles shows nothing at all

- Front panel on/off responds to touch and turns off the display one time - if I tap it again a few moments later it'll come back on but will never turn off again regardless of the number of presses/taps/touches, I have to do a full power reset with the physical switch in the rear to get that response again

- Audio subsystem is working to a point. When I plug in some source material I can hear it somewhat clearly through the speakers in the 2693HM, sad as they are. The front panel volume controls have no effect (unless I'm using them in an incorrect manner, that is

- When a VGA cable is attached to my laptop Windows will offer the "dunk dunk" sound of a device being attached, the display on the laptop kicks out to a 1024x768 resolution until I go in and alter the settings to "Extend the desktop across these displays" at which point the laptop screen returns to native resolution (1280x800) but still nothing from the 2693HM - Windows sees a monitor attached but I'm guessing that's just the sense pin on the VGA cable providing the "Hey, I'm plugged in now..." response

- Monitor doesn't seem to get warm at all no matter how long I leave it on (2 hours was the max so far, no sense in wasting more electricity)

- I disassembled it completely a short time ago and noted absolutely nothing that would indicate a problem: the power board, logic board, t-con, and inverter board all look just fine to my untrained eyes save for a tiny bit of dust buildup in various nooks and crannies

- The 2200uf 10V capacitor "looks" ok; no signs of bad caps or anything about to explode, and other capacitors look fine as well

- Put everything back together making sure to get a good proper tight fit with every connector in use but of course the situation hasn't improved (at least this time, sometimes in the past I've disassembled devices and after a rebuild they work, as odd as that is when it happens)

Now, as I stated I'm no board level or even higher level technician, I don't own a multimeter or most any of the other tools the pros use so I can't diagnose this thing any more than I already have. I figured because the power light is coming on and the audio circuit appears to be working that the power supply board is "ok" but of course I can't know just what's going on - it powers up, the audio is functional (but I can't alter the volume from the front panel controls as stated), and I'm not sure where to go from here.

I did more research before making this post and I'm just stumped. What I'd like to ask is if anyone has any advice or suggestions at this point on how to proceed - if I need to get a replacement board or two (even not knowing how something died in the first place) that's fine, I can install those without issues which is easy enough. Unfortunately I don't know precisely which one(s) to get.

Don't want to wear out my welcome with a crazy long post so I'll end this one and hope someone - anyone, actually - may have something to offer. It seems to be a great monitor, plenty of resolution (1920x1200 is my fave, 16:10 aspect ratio displays are a dying breed so this one is a keeper), speakers (don't need them but they can't hurt for some purposes), and so on.

If I can get it fixed without spending as much as a new monitor, preferably nowhere near that kind of pricing (even though I can find 20+ inch "HD" monitors for $100 these days). I'll consider this a project to see what can and will happen. I know I haven't provided the nitty gritty diagnostic info that could possibly help me, so I hope what I have provided might set me on the right course.

Thanks, and have fun, always...
    bb

ps
    Go figure. I've had it on and off all day, and it was just left on for a bit while I made this post. I make the post, turn around in my chair, reach over and turn the 2693HM off with the rear power switch and... for a 1/10th of a second I had a white screen with some other content - it wasn't a pure white complete edge to edge image, there was something else there as well. I nearly fell out of my chair when it happened.

Anyway, one last tidbit I just also discovered: the previous owner had apparently contacted Samsung at one point (he's the second owner) and stated - in a chat with their support personnel - that if he left it on for several hours it would just start working, and it would keep working until he turned it off (didn't specify front panel or the rear switch in that statement) at which point he'd have to leave it sitting for hours till it started working again.

How very odd... :p

pss
    After doing this power on - power off thing for a few minutes, it's almost like it's really trying hard to get an image displayed but it's incredibly faint when it happens, I'd describe it like someone lowering the brightness and contrast as far as possible so it's really really barely visible at all, and then wave a flag in front of it back and forth - seriously, it's this weird wavy moment where it starts to brighten just enough to know there's something there then it goes black, a 1/10 of a second later it starts again, etc, like a flicker almost.

Hey, it's progress.

psss (last one, I swear)
    The monitor is "working" at this point. It went from an almost strobe-like pattern every few tenths of a second to staying on for a half second at a time, then a second, 2, 5, 10, 30, and now it's been solid for minutes. Haven't hooked it back to the laptop just yet but it is pretty crazy how it basically almost seemed to be fighting its way back to life.

I'm still interested in whatever opinions others may have, however, as I'm sure that I can't just leave it on 24/7 no matter how much I might like to do it - turning it off might "kill it forever..."
    Last edited by br0adband; 02-13-2014, 12:40 AM.

Re: Advice/suggestions on a "dead" Samsung 2693HM

Ok, figured I'd provide an update just in case:

As of right now the thing I've discovered is this monitor "works," given a caveat of letting it (apparently) warm up which is taking an excessively long period of time. If the monitor stays on, it has no issues that I've noted. If I turn it off and then back on, again, no issues noted.

However, after making use of it for a while and then turning it off and letting it go "cold," say for a solid hour of being off, what I've noted is that when I turn it back on it'll take around 5-7 minutes to go through that same process as noted above in the first post:

I'll see a very very faint flicker at first (the "Check Signal Cable" box as it navigates the screen), then I'll note the flickering towards the edges which is odd considering how an LCD panel backlight propagates light in the first place, then towards the middle, and the frequency of the flickering is pretty high after the first few happen, then the period between them slows down more and more, the periods of it actually working growing longer and longer, till it finally is "on" and then it just stays that way from that point.

Never seen anything like this, it's almost as if it literally is having trouble getting warmed up from a frozen state, there's no better way for me to describe it: when it's cold it's barely able to function, then as it warms up there's more activity, and more, and more, till it's no longer having a slow time of things and it finally gets up to running speed more or less.

Bizarre, but again, it's working albeit the slow crawl to get to that state. I know at some point this will become a bigger issue hence the posts, so again, I'm all ears (and eyes, I suppose). Maybe bad caps in the sense that they discharge during a power down and have issues with storing energy on a restart...? I know that sounds bizarre in itself since I'm no expert on this stuff. I mean I understand what a capacitor is meant to do in general so I'm just thinking out loud I guess.

Thanks...
    Last edited by br0adband; 02-13-2014, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Its toooooooooooo loooooooong

Remember you have one problem set, regular helpers on here are looking at several problems at once. If we have to read through all that to see if you have done /tried something the inclination is to move on the the next post.
      So have any caps been replaced as far as you know by you or the previous
      owner.
      Post pictures of the boards front and back. Also gives you a chance to secure
      the cables and ground screws.

Do you have a multimeter and soldering equipment
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

If you're not going to read the information, you're not going to be able to help.

Anyway, I guess the party's over: I left the monitor on for a while (not connected to a computer but powered on) and it became unresponsive on the front panel controls when I tried to turn it off. I switched the power off by the rear switch and when I attempted to turn it back on, I got nothing, no power light, zip.

I'm just going to chuck it in the garbage this morning, no sense pursuing components to make attempt making it functional at this point.

Comment

Well thats a poor show after writing that book and me wasting time reading it.
          You might at least offer it out on freegle or freecycle others may be glad of the parts. Or you could start again.

Post pictures of the boards front and back.
          Do you have a multimeter and soldering equipment
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

I don't have a camera that can take pictures of any even somewhat useful quality (and bad lighting in my apartment as well), and as stated in the OP I don't own a multimeter or any diagnostic equipment whatsoever. There are a few other threads about the 2693HM that do have pictures; it's the same device.

I turned it back on a few minutes ago and it responded with just the power light, gave it 5 minutes and turned it off (by hard power switch) then on again and I'm not getting that faint flash or flicker, so I'll be patient and see if the "interminably long warm up period" is repeatable and it ends up being functional once again.

I'm a simple guy: I love stuff that either works (preferred) or is totally dead, kaput, zip, never gonna happen again. It's this kind of random intermittent stuff I can't quite figure out that irritates the hell out of me the most...

As for you wasting time reading the info I presented, that's a tl;dr problem and not my concern, you're welcome to not respond at any time. Perhaps someone else might have some relevant info that could help, that's my overall hope.
            Last edited by br0adband; 02-13-2014, 04:25 PM.

Comment

There's not a whole lot you can do with (or rather lack of) your resources and equipment.

But, seriously, you shouldn't just dump it, consider giving it away as selldoor suggested as a lot of good parts are just going to be landfill.

Good luck with the intermittent faults there, in my experience they usually get worse not better.

Comment

Somewhat of an update, who knows...

I found, ordered, and received a replacement inverter board (exact replacement, same exact part/model number) from an eBay seller but when I put it in, same result: no backlight. Nothing else has changed, the display still "works" in that I can shine a flashlight on it and see the panel functioning, it doesn't appear to suffer the Magic Brite problem (where it constantly goes from dim to bright then back in a somewhat fatal loop), pressing Menu makes the menu appear, pressing Source makes it detect inputs, pressing Auto goes into the adjustment mode as expected, audio works just fine, there's just no functional backlight.

What I've noticed with this new inverter board is that I never ever get any backlight activity at all, however, not even the flashes I was getting with the original board.

Having said that, I moved the monitor to another part of my apartment and plugged it in - just on a whim - to another electrical outlet that has a breaker inside the outlet itself and when I turned on the monitor, the breaker pops - over and over, every time I reset it the breaker pops out which makes me think somewhere there's too great a power pull from the monitor.

However, when I plug it into the same place I've been using for testing it - a simple 6-port AC power strip plugged directly into another AC socket that doesn't have a breaker on it in-socket it fires up and stays functional.

Funny thing is the breaker that pops is what I use for my 1000 watt microwave oven in the kitchen and that doesn't make it pop. If there was such a massive power pull from the power board to cause that breaker to pop, that would imply the fuses are still functional, least that's what I would guess - fuses either work or they don't, there's no middle ground to speak of.

If there's two fuses on the power board itself (6.3A/250V) would that mean that one of them is assigned for the audio/display/logic board outputs from the power board and the other might be assigned towards the inverter board? I mean the power supply is obviously providing power for the distinct circuits (audio/display/logic and inverter).

I'm hoping to get a multimeter this week at some point and try to do some measurements. I just find it hard to believe I have the same issue with two different inverter boards, so that leads me to believe it's a power supply issue now. I've considered replacing that 2200uF 10V capacitor since it seems to be a known thing that causes issues; I found a 2200uF 35V replacement at Fry's for a few bucks but didn't buy it just yet. The other capacitors on the power board are all 35V - makes me wonder just what the hell Samsung was thinking by putting a 10V one on the board, seems pretty stupid considering. They're Sam Young caps of course, and show no outward signs of damage or corruption: no bulging, no leaking fluids, etc. Not sure what the 35V one at Fry's is in terms of branding but it wasn't Sam Young for sure.

Sure would be nice to get this thing working...

Comment

Still not managed to read the first and second post but the last one is interesting about tripping the power- as you say it can be shorted unless the new inverter board is? - Does it trip without that connected?

Please dont buy capacitors at Frys they are most unlikely to have any suitable for this application. If you get capacitors you need Panasonic FR FM or FC series or nichicon or rubycon equivalents.

What is the part number of the inverter board and also of the power supply board
                  Last edited by selldoor; 02-24-2014, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Inverter board is (apparently) an Ocalypso CLP-26LC1A INVERTER BOARD MIT68013.50 (part number on the board sticker shows MIT68013.50-E0 which is exactly the same as the board it replaced meaning the "factory" board is an exact match).

Power board is pictured in this post:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=1

I've already reassembled mine so I can't offer the exact part number at this moment; the one cap that has caused problems for so many others is the one along the bottom edge of the power board picture in that post, immediately to the left of the larger white MOLEX connector. That is the 2200uF 10V Sam Young cap that many people suggest replacing with a 35V version.

If you require the actual part number I can disassemble it in a few minutes, not a big issue but I'm not at home as of the time I'm making this post.

As for shorting, I can't say for sure but I can say that I did plug the monitor - using the original inverter board - into that same AC socket (the one with the internal breaker) and it didn't pop out at all. It's only doing that with this new inverter board in place; I can swap them back again and may do so at some point just to see if I can get any of that "flash" activity once more.

Might have a multimeter by Friday depending, it may or may not help at all, but I hope it can reveal something to get this functional.

Comment

Originally posted by br0adband View Post
                      I'm hoping to get a multimeter this week at some point and try to do some measurements. I just find it hard to believe I have the same issue with two different inverter boards, so that leads me to believe it's a power supply issue now.
                      A couple of weeks ago I had a Sony LCD TV which appeared to have a bad TCON board so I ordered a replacement on EBay. I installed the board and there wasn't much change in the problem so I decided it wasn't the TCON. It turns out that the TCON I got from EBay was bad. I was able to repair my TCON after finding information on this forum which assisted me in locating the bad component.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't put too much faith in boards you get from EBay unless you have some way to verify that they are good.

Comment

T30M31, I second that.
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

OK - not much we can do until you get a meter. Perhaps advise the ebay
                          seller you believe the board to be bad/shorted and will be getting it tested.
                          Did it say it was "tested" or just "pulled from a set with a broken screen"

Comment

Pulled from an HDTV of some kind that had damage to the LCD panel itself (hit by some object and shattered so then parted out). Not sure what I'll be testing if and when I'm able to get a multimeter in a few days, I'll most likely replace the original inverter as the basis for testing anyway, at least with that one installed I was still able to get some backlight activity to some degree, the new one provides absolutely nothing at all, ever.

Comment

Maybe just the fuse/s on the new one ? Pictures really would help.

Comment

I don't have a camera that can take decent high quality pictures, the hardware in the other thread that I just posted the link to (first post, even) is the exact same hardware/same monitor: same power board, same inverter, everything is exactly the same - the Samsung Syncmaster 2693HM.
                                Last edited by br0adband; 02-25-2014, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Yes \I saw that - his pic of the whole board isnt great and the other two dont cover the whole board. I think I see 2 white fuses just above the socket from the main board.
                                  When your meter comes check them. I am away from Friday for 15 days , hopefully
                                  someone will help.

Comment

Working...
                                  X