PANASONIC plasma TH-P42X20A, SOS4,1,10,6,8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PANASONIC plasma TH-P42X20A, SOS4,1,10,6,8

This will be my last TV for quite a while but it's a TH-P42X20A, which would be similar to other P42X20, and P42C2 HD models. 2010 is the year of construction.

It uses the SN TNPA5066, SS TNPA5072, A-board for our market TNPH0840 MA.

I've been chipping away at this for about 6 weeks, mainly because of bad parts and a mixed up A-board order and quite frankly gave up last night with it dead and tried one last thing today and kind of running so some hope there.

Initial state of TV was straight up SOS4, been here before so expecting shorted Vsus. Confirmed, 4 shorted smd IGBTs RJP30E2.

Replaced those with IRG7S313UPBF which are only 330V 40A although FGD4536, 360 V PDP Trench IGBT would have been closer.

Short cleared, powerup now SOS1, great! Looks like A-board. Fiddle with it , reseat ribbons etc, after some power cycles, Now SOS10

5V line now shorted, the 2 buffer ICs on the A board which feed to A20 then Sn20 shorted on Vcc. replace them back to SOS1, few more fiddles and again SOS10, same deal shorted ICs. At this stage, quitting on the A-board.

Order a NZ version which the plan is to swap over all the EEPROMs to create my origanal board. Should work, the board is a 50" but apart from the data on those chips, the baord is electrically the same.(In theory)

Get the board, hook up and powerup, nil display, SN/SS both on and buzzing??

Now although it's a 50" board I should get a display. Was real lazy and just rested the A-board for testing and it slipped, swinging on the ribbons a bit, panic and check the front. It's off and SOS6(I think).

Cables do not appear to be broken although a little creasing. Nothin gets it going again.

remove the Sn board, 1 of the IGBTs on the MID energy recovery cct from the SS has shorted but everything else seems ok? It was Q441 DG501 (Panasonic IGBT) which I replaced with a DG502 left over from my SC rebuilds.

TV would not get going again but then randomly it would powerup and then I noticed there was maldicharge on 50% of the screen, C2 board side only, other half totally black.

Never seen anything like this, thinking bad C boards or a panel which was cactus.

More fiddling, no change but very erratic and SOS8. I tried following both the 2009 plasma guide which has a similar cct setup except SC/SD/SU and the P42S2 guides for isolation and blink code changes.

Ended up a real head bash because everthing was suggesting a bad A board because of the blinks . Basically if everything was hooked up I was getting a consistent SOS6(started SOS8). Disconnect SN20, still SOS6, earthed out the SOS6 line, still same.

Start with the SS and same deal SS23 undone, still SOS8, earthed out, same. Starting to look like A but SOS8 feeds through the C boards and also the sustain control to the SS so I have C on my mind although doubtful.

Then in the back of my mind I think back to the original A and the 5V being shorted which made no sense how an A board would do that except if there was something shorting?

The Ribbons, turn them over which I now look closely at for the first time, corrosion and pitting! So I grab an eraser and attempt to clean them up, somehow must of lifted one on the contacts on the SN20 ribbon and that's stuffed it. So I cut it back and not expecting it to work.

I also noted that depending on how bad that A20 ribbon was seated will produce either SOS6 or 8.

It's dead again, replaced the C541 octal buffer IC on SS board that goes to the C board just n case, no change.

Then check the cct and thinking C2 board, no shorts or burns. Suspect there's a chance the VHCT541 buffer IC could be injured, compare Vcc - gnd 8M? On another model C board, 2-3M Ohm. 8M is lookig like open cct potentially.

So do a transplant, and now reads 2-3M. Hook it all up and a fiddle and get SN & SS to stay on and now purple jaggged maldischarge on entire panel which is in fact an improvement on previous half panel.

More fiddling with the ribbons especially A20 and get and actual setup picture but with multi-coloured lines at about the last C2 board panel connection . More adjustment of that ribbon at the A board, 2 banks of line , then 1 , then none.

Great, but the picture is not. looks ok but dim and depending on what's on the panel, very similar to bad SS but i am thinking I need new ribbons definitely before I can decide if my SS or SN has issues.

If I get this sorted I'll proceed with the eeprom swaps.

Some voltages, Vs 192V, Vda 55V,

voltage on the MID ER cct SN3-SS3 95-97V

Won't be updating again for a couple of months as I'll be interstate.

Pictures at night so a little poor. Analogue TV channel as that is the only thing the same as NZ and AU, digital has different band width.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tw2005; 07-12-2013, 06:56 AM.

Re: PANASONIC plasma TH-P42X20A, SOS4,1,10,6,8

I would check the VAD, VSUS, VE and VDA are correct before suspecting any further issues with either SN/SS, voltages should be in service manual.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Well they're not listed as far as I know, I'll have a look. Might be able to use the 42PX14 as a guide as that's the model before and the last series they had panel labels too.

Definitely need some ribbons, I can only just get the SN20 lead in a position to get it to fire up.

I'm hopeful the sustain boards are ok, usually if the voltage gets too far out it'll shut down.

Comment

Without a panel label, hard to know but 190V is about right and Vsus is set to low in the A board, going to high just adds speckles, 58-61V listed on PX14 for Vda, 55V on this.
        Have to study the boards and wait till daylight to get a look. Vad -180 for 2009 model.

Found this for error detect.
        VAD VOLTAGE ERROR DET
        OPERATES AT -169V OR MORE
        AND -210V OR LESS

VSCAN VOLTAGE ERROR DET
        OPERATES AT 166V OR MORE
        AND 125V OR LESS

Usually the midpoint is where they'll roughly be.

Comment

Well you can see if they are completely wrong or fairly close...
          VSUS around 205V (215V+ newer panels)
          VDA around 55V (75V+ older panels)
          VAD around -120V to -190V (-145V for 2008, -185V for 2009)
          VE around 90V to 160V (130V for 2008)
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Vs = 191.5V
            Vad = -190V
            Ve = 125V
            Vda = 55V

Comment

Vs is way too low for this panel surely? I have never seen a Panasonic below 195V for 2008, and 205V for models onwards...
              Everything else looks good, investigate increasing Vs and dropping other voltages to try to get low sparklies..

Comment

I might fire up my 50" and probe Vs. I don't think it's too far away, I know with no SN, SS and all ribbons removed from the A - board I think the PSU was pumping 230V at Vs which is way high to what I have seen.

Back shortly.

Comment

203 on the 50 FHD, Vsus adjust in the service menu made no voltage change but does go brighter with dots. Vsus adjust is factory sealed on the PSU.

Comment

I'd set VSUS low in SM & break factory seal on pot to tweak it to around 200V~205V then see how you go from there, right now it just looks like underdiffusion caused by low Vs or -Vad to me.
                    Don't touch Vda whatever you do.

230V on PSU sounds very bad not sure why it would be that high unless it relies on some minimum load by the SN/SS to be stable.

Comment

Yeah it was freaky seeing it that high on it's own. I do think tough 99% of the issue is some messed up sustain control signals on those ribbons. I guess i can crack the seal although it's a decent blob of goo like what they place around the buffer board ICs.

I don't expect it to solve it but I'll give it a hit out of curiosity. A couple of the test patterns come up looking perfect though.

The single small white square with black background , the black frame with a thin white border and the full height sweeping white band looks ok although there seems to be an awful lot of image retention as if the panel reset wave form is not right if there is such a thing.

You'd know about waveforms, I guess this would be a classic case where a CRO would be handy to see what was being generated?

Comment

Took it up to 205V, definitely brighter but in the test patterns looked over driven it parts. I don't know how much a factor having a 50" format driving a 42 has, first time trying this.

Some improvement but symptoms remain.

I'm definitely going to have to track down fresh ribbons before I attempt playing with it. Never had to adjust a panasonic yet , so I'll stick to the baseline for now. Never know it may ramp up with the new cables.

Comment

Vs does not depend on panel size, it depends only on gas pressure (thinner panel = higher voltage & higher efficiency) and panel technology.

Comment

Well I decided to try my A-board conversion after purchasing a 50" HD New Zealand board and need to end up with a 42" HD australian board as the tuner data is incompatible for Digital TV. The analogue is the same however who'd watch that these days and the service is ending this month.

Totally nerve wrecking is how I'll describe this but at this point I have the 50" panel address eeprom still in this which I'll expand on shortly.

I do now have an A-board which is a 42"HD version, now have all the regional settings for Australia and now also tunes to Australian Digital and Analogue frequencies, so happy days so far but killed this board a couple of times in the process.

I decided to swap all 3 EEPROMs and the NAND FLASH ICs at once which in hindsight was not a good idea but I had a fear that somehow one may write to the other and remove any chance of keeping the Australia data for this to work. Probably a false concern but that's how i went with it.

The easiest way to do this would have been to get a 42"HD NZ board which would have meant only 2 EEPROMS at most for the swap. None were available so it is what it is I guess.

Swapped were:

IC8950 (TVRR513, Aust), or (TVRR514, NZ) IIC_IF , this would have to be the tuner/region data I suspect.

IC9304 (TVRR577) ADDR/DATA , FLASH I/F to the PD4 PDP control IC.

IC8921 (TVRR585) CPU_BUS I/F, probably could have left this alone, both had same number but suffix AA on the 42" and AC on the 50" but i think this may be software versions?

IC1100 (TVRR546) GENX IIC not sure about this one, some input here would be nice.

This is how it unravelled.

After doing all 4 I had SOS9-discharge control SOS, A-board. Looking at the cct I went for IC9304, swapped the other 42" FHD IC9304 - 13 blink- no such code.
                            Rechecked my work, found bridged resistor pack R8922 which sits right next to 48pin IC8921 NAND Flash- must have brushed it with the tip.

Cleared that and working. Decide to revert IC9304 from original board- SOS1 , 1 blink.

Now, original board was actually dead with SOS1, so i have managed to transfer that fault across!

This may help someone with SOS1 but I can't confirm but suggests to me these A-boards with SOS1, 1 blink may be repairable by replacing the ADDR/DATA , FLASH I/F IC. ?? Obviously could be the PD4 chip as well but 8 pin flash chip easy to change and may be cheap part if you can buy it.

SOS1 from what I have read is failure of the PD4 panel control or PD4 SOS, Panel Infromation SOS. PDP start-up SOS.

IC9300 PD4 & IC9304 is the panel control, I'm also concerned that my image issues may be related to this data in which case I could be in trouble since I have confirmed the original is corrupted and SOS1.

This leaves me with a 50"HD flash and the 42" FHD flash to play with but at this stage both appear to give me the same image issues.

Not sure which flash has the service data but started with an A-board that clocked 553hrs, it now reads over 6000hrs which was to be expected tranferring the data from the old board.

Interesting stuff, I wish i still had the original A-board in one piece, quite possibly may have restored it with just that PD4 flash chip IC9304, i hope somone else has a go at doing something similar but unsure if they sell those as spare preloaded, have not tried looking up a US model to get art number and check SEARS and the like out.

have ordered cable set from a 42PC2 which appears similar to P42C2 and my P42X20A.

Also with my image issue which is interesting is if the panel has a black background like the credits at the end of a movie, it looks normal.

Select AV and menus/popups look normal, but the more data and more brightness the panel has or requires the worse it gets. Some Tv stations are also better than others so I wonder if the formats 576p, 720p or 1080i adds to it as well.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by tw2005; 07-13-2013, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Just did system self check, all show OK, System Autralia

Comment

Regarding the maldischarge on the panel, check the MID voltage on your SN and SS. I'd be quite surprised if it is an A board issue, especially if it varies with display intensity.

I thought TH-P42X20A was 720p (HD) so why are you talking about 1080p (FHD)?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                  Regarding the maldischarge on the panel, check the MID voltage on your SN and SS. I'd be quite surprised if it is an A board issue, especially if it varies with display intensity.

I thought TH-P42X20A was 720p (HD) so why are you talking about 1080p (FHD)?
                                  Have a closer read, I mention 1080i in regards to what the Digital stations transmit. It is a 720P TV yes and will indicate 1080i popup on the channels that use that format.

One of the 3 A-boards I have is from a 42FHD I suspect looking at the extra data lines on the 3 outputs to the SN(SC),C1,C2 boards.

What would you expect for MID? I have no data.

The reason I suspect it's not voltage at this point is I can watch a channel and at times it looks ok.

I may see if I can video it and upload, which will be a first for me
                                  Last edited by tw2005; 07-13-2013, 11:15 AM.

Comment

MID is from 1/3rd to 2/3rd Vsus, if ERC is working OK.

Comment

Any tips on videos, just did MP4 and it's 1Gb! youtube looks like it'll take forever.

Never done this before. Not great, missed some of the screen not 100% accurate but good enough for an idea, is pitch black outside so the camera shows over exposed and the flickers are on camera not to the naked eye.

Comment

So the 97V I posted previous which is about 50% of Vsus falls smack bang in the middle of 33 - 67% you suggest.

That was when Vsus was 192V, now 92V, Vsus 197V which is where I left it after tweaking Vs at the Psu.

Just adjusted Vs back 192v and still 92V at ERC MID.

Comment

Working...
                                        X