Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Identifying Nichichon Capacitors from Mouser...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying Nichichon Capacitors from Mouser...

Hi everyone.

As per the stickied FAQ (yes, people *do* read it, though it might take them a little while to find it...) and some helpful suggestions in another thread I posted, I am trying to locate NiChicon Capacitors to replace in my PS.

However, as an example, if I look for 1000uF, 16/25v Nichicon radial Caps from Mouser, these are the model #'s I get:

UVZ1C102MPD
    UVZ1C102MPH
    UVZ1E102MPD
    UVZ1E102MPH
    UBT1C102MHD
    UBT1E102MHD

Now, I can't seem to match up any of these letters with the typical '2-letter' series y'all keep mentioning, so does this mean that Mouser is not a good source for the caps I want?

e.g. Nichicon PM (lead-free version of PL), PS (lead-free version of PR), PW, or HE (the latter two preferred over the former) (from Pete S.)

Also, the only "low ESR" (keyword search) capacitors I can find at Mouser are from "Xicon"...are these any good?

Should I look elsewhere (e.g. Digikey?)
    Last edited by ran; 10-20-2006, 12:23 PM.
    ---
    Integrity - doing the right thing even when no one is looking

Freedom - not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought.

Re: Identifying Nichichon Capacitors from Mouser...

digikey catalogue is ok
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Look under "low impedence" catagory. Mouser stocks both PW and HE in that size, but they are 10mm dia.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacedye69
        Look under "low impedence" catagory. Mouser stocks both PW and HE in that size, but they are 10mm dia.
        Yeah - I figured that out, eventually. I used some cat #'s I got from Digikey (they have "low ESR") and then found that mouser had those series under the low impedance category...so I'm good!

Thanks, all!

Ran
        ---
        Integrity - doing the right thing even when no one is looking

Freedom - not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought.

Comment

The VZ series is a GP 105C series, nice for GP decoupling capacitors. The BT series compares well to the PW series for the parts you cited, but the BT series is rated for 125C use instead of 105C, so those would probably be suitable for P/S use (Nichicon recommends them for automotive use).
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

It will start to make more sense when you open the data tables in the links at mouser/digikey and compare the caps by their ESR and Ripple ratings.

Lower ESR is better
            ESR can be thought of as how much 'resistance' the cap has to passing Ripple.

Higher Ripple is better.
            The Ripple rating is how much Ripple it can pass without overheating.

Terms like "Low ESR" "Very Low ESR" "Ultra Low ESR" are marketing terms that have no 'official' technical definitions and so are used rather loosely.
            One manufacturers "Very Low" may be anther's "Ultra Low" and yet anther's "Low".

What you should do is look-up the ESR/Ripple of the old caps and try to meet or beat those specs.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

thread necro
              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Yeah but he still hasn't figured it out.
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=78
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...7&postcount=80

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Moved here:
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6632

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Ran,

Good to see you're in a new thread. I just wished you'd gone into the detail like you did in the other thread from whence you came. i.e. - why you were doing this cap search

Interesting. I think the same thing happened on my G5 Imac 1.6ghz machine.
                    Would draw the attention of those that deal with this problem, not only here but in web searches. Getting "iMac" & "G5 power supply" in the thread title would draw them in like flies to honey.

Also, Wizard may be interested in your supply BEFORE you mess with it.

Once the repairs are completed, I and others will be interested to know if you have the same problems with the coil overheating as in the other thread.

Toast

Geeze! I just got done and its moved already. What is this? Whack-a-Mole??
                    Last edited by Toasty; 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM. Reason: movement......
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by ran

UVZ1C102MPD
                      UVZ1C102MPH
                      UVZ1E102MPD
                      UVZ1E102MPH
                      UBT1C102MHD
                      UBT1E102MHD
                      Yeah those aren't series numbers they are series manufacturer part numbers.

They correlate with the series, size, lead spacing, capacitance, and voltage.

They are great when you have to reorder a specific size and series of cap though.

You want to find a low ESR series for the cap company you are looking for and filter your search by series. Then look up the datasheet for that series to see the sizes available a link is usually available on the parts page.

I use a digital caliper to measure the caps I'm replacing if space is tight. You will eventually get accustomed to the design of your cap companies datasheets I am very familiar with Chemicon's and Panasonic's my big two cap companies I use.

Funny you mentioned Nichicon VZ series I just bought one a 4700 uf at 63V for my new Mastech linear PSU to replace a counterfeit Chemicon. Luckily it's a linear so GP will do. Digikey was out of the Pana TS-HAs so size wise they were all I could get.
                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-16-2009, 04:46 PM.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ

MOVED HERE

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6632

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

This thread was started Oct 2006.
                          Current/new one by asker is through link above.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Working...
                          X