Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 37LC2D crackling noise at startup

Hello,

TV is from 2005/2006 (don't remember exact year). It turns on fine (standby light blinks red as normal then solid green).

As soon as a picture comes up, it makes a loud awful crackling sound for a few seconds. The sound seems to be coming from the speakers (but muting while the sound is happening doesn't make the sound go away). Sometimes the sound will be dead but I still have picture. Turning on and off will usually get the sound back (and usually no crackle this second time of turning it off/on).
    Sometimes, a few seconds after the crackling, the sound comes up no problem.

No symptoms of any kind after this initial power up other than a slightly louder than usual buzz/hum (which has been there for a while).

It's only during a power on when the sound can happen. I haven't taken it apart yet as it still works for the most part. Could anyone point me in the right direction or have any ideas what to look for if the TV does end up failing?

Thanks.
    Last edited by MacrossFX; 02-10-2013, 09:32 AM.

Re: LG 37LC2D crackling noise at startup

First, I think anyone here would suggest that you actually take it apart and provide pictures because no one can tell you exactly what is wrong until you do that. However, this series of LG's have a terrible history of bad capacitors in the power supply. What you have described is very common for what they do before they finally fail. So, unless and until you are willing to take the back off there isn't much anyone here can do to help you. Once you do take it apart, I would suspect you'll find a failing power supply which is an easy fix. On this set, it's best to replace all of the caps, not just the ones that are visibly bulging or leaking. If you search these forums you'll find posts where several of us have fixed this set and even listed what caps you need to buy.

Comment

Looks like I posted hastily before searching more in depth. Found a link to a thread with similar symptoms:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=253341

I'll follow some of the advice in the thread when I get a chance and post back here.
      Last edited by MacrossFX; 02-10-2013, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Here is another you may want to read start to finish: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18218

Comment

I am not a techie. This forum has been informative. I will need to contact a techie in Perth and determine if replacing capacitors on the motherboard will alleviate the crackling noise and bottom third pixelation on the screen.

Comment

Working...
          X