Samsung 244T Troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 244T Troubleshooting

I've done the standard power supply cap kit and it fixed my original problem. The monitor has been working great for the last year after the upgrade. But now I'm getting a buzzing sound and display flickering. I took a look at the power supply again and it kind of looks like the large 100uf 450v cap might have a slight bulge to it. This cap was not replaced in the kit I used as I assume this particular component has lower failure rate (and a much higher cost) than the other small caps.

Click here for a short video that shows the problem

Could this big capacitor, if bad, be the cause of the problem I'm experiencing? Any other thoughts? Time for a new montior?

Thanks!

Re: Samsung 244T Troubleshooting

Well, the swelling is a sure sign of failing capacitor - you should replace it as you're just delaying the inevitable.

It's not that expensive to replace, you're looking at a few dollars. Just say here everything that's written on the capacitor and someone will be able to recommend alternative capacitor.

I don't know about the buzzing though - i'm not that smart.

Comment

Thanks! Here is a shot of the cap with all the info...

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
        I don't know about the buzzing though - i'm not that smart.
        The buzzing is caused by 50Hz ripple getting thru, which is a direct consequence of that big cap failing. Don't run it anymore before you replace the cap, or it will cause further damage to the power supply or logic board.

Originally posted by Breezin View Post
        Thanks! Here is a shot of the cap with all the info...
        What are the dimensions of that cap? And please fill in your location in your profile so we can recommend a parts supplier in your area.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

The cap is about 1 1/2 inches long with a diameter of about 3/4 an inch.

Also updated my location... I'm in the Central Valley of California.

Thanks again...

Comment

Standard diameters for caps are in millimeters. Anyway, here you go: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=565-1481-ND With that 10k hours lifetime rating, i'm sure it'll outlast the lamps in the monitor
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Thanks... part ordered. Will update after I install!

Thanks again!

Comment

Part replaced and montior working great. You guys rock!

Comment

I just wanted to say thank you to the poster and respondents on this thread. I got a 244T at auction (cheap!) in unknown condition. The power supply caps were obviously bolted. I had someone recap it and they swore the main caps never fail.

However after reassembly I still had the same symptoms described (and video'd) here. I replaced the main cap myself and it is working great now. What a wonderful monitor now that it works!

p.s. to the original poster - I grew up in Visalia.

Comment

Monitor is still going strong! I wonder how many monitors are in the landfill over a handfull of bad caps.

Mercuryman - I'm in Modesto.

Comment

@breezin, you can go to yuor electronics recycling center and you will see how many Monitors and TVs are turn in for recycle just because of $5 worth of caps. I am in SF bay area and see many stuff being turn in for recycle. www.crc.org
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Just going to highjack this thread instead of making another 244T thread.

Recently picked up a Samsung 244T monitor for cheap, had the problem where it would take anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours to get a picture (green light would just blink), I knew it needed caps before buying, after buying disassembled and saw that the 3 35v 1000uf caps were bulging. Order a cap kit and changed them out, I was planning on replacing the other caps as well as an all in one job, wish I didn't bother.

After the bad caps were out and decided to start replacing the others, whilst removing the 10v 2200uf cap, part of the circuit board came away

Tried to DIY the new 2200uf cap to complete the circuit to where I thought it went by using solder to connect but didn't work, no green light at all when powered up. Wondering if anyone has any ideas or am I SOL? sorry if the pictures aren't very clear.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Do not worry that easily fixable.

The pics aren't great as you say but what I would suggest you do is get an abrasive fibreglass pencil and take away the lacquer and green pain on the trace that you with to solder too. Clean it the area up before soldering to it of course. You will need to have patience and make sure that you don't take to much of the green paint either side or you will risk bridging your solder between the traces.

A word of advice.... The filings that come off the pen are nasty and tiny if they get stuck in your fingers they cant be seen and they can be irritating. Wear gloves to and don't touch the stuff with your fingers.

Hope this helps. Remember we want to see pic's of it done so that others can see how to do a repair like this in the future
                          Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
                          Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Thank you for the advice will look into that, I assume the trace I need to solder to is this one I have marked out in green on this photo, I believe it is the correct one but I have no reference. it is a thin line.

would it cause damage if it came in contact with the traces next to it marked in red?

I will try take better pictures if it works.

Comment

If you take the cap back out then we could have a better look just to make sure that its definitely correct. Again looking at the pics it still might be hard to tell with the quality. if you hit the tracks either side its no biggie just make sure that you dont solder to them by mistake or you may cause terminal damage.

Its really not that bad to fix. If you have a spare old board then have a go at using the pencil on that so that you know how it works.

Comment

IF it has to be soldered to that thin trace would it not be easier/better to just run an insulated wire from the bottom of the cap leg to the next joint along the trace? You could hold the cap down with a blob of glue.
                                I will try and find a pic of a bottom board the same.
                                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Yeah i am currently unsure if it only needs soldering to just the thin line or also to the trace closest to it, its hard to tell now that the circuit is damaged on the cap corner.

heres a few more pics now that I removed the cap.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

There is a nice clean place to solder a wire as selldoor has suggested if you decide to do that. If you follow the trace you can see it. If the trace has come off near that cap I would imagine thats the only damage and it should work fine after you have repaired it.

Comment

It worked! sort of. blinking green light no display; back to square one.

Maybe I need to go back in and replace the remaining smaller caps though I don't see any indicators of bad caps with them. Waiting to see if the monitor will turn itself on like it usually does and show the desktop, still just blinking right now...

EDIT: monitor came on after about about 10 minutes of blinking, contemplating replacing smaller caps, any other ideas? Thank you for helping me actually getting it back to a semi working state though.

I hacked of a wire from my surround sound system.
                                      Last edited by Diddyo; 05-02-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Great - can you post pictures of the full top and full bottom of the board.
                                        Please use manage attachments pis should be as near 2mb as you can get but not bigger or they wont load.
                                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                                        X