Fotron Source FSP235-60GT 3.3v out of spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fotron Source FSP235-60GT 3.3v out of spec

Got a guy in with a comp, would poweroff after a while, took a look inside the PSU, two leaking YEC caps, one on 3.3v the other on 5v. So I replaced them with a pair of Sanyo MV-WX caps of the same rating, problem still the same...

Hooked up a multimeter to the 3.3v line, it's fluctuating wildly between 3.7-3.9v if I load the PSU a bit...

So I poked around the board a bit with the multimeter and found another cap connected to 3.3v, a Fuhjyyu, though it was not bulging... I desoldered it and took it apart, it was all moisty and gooey and nice with electrolyte, and the positive and negative leads where also connected nicley to it...

There are now two caps remaining on the secondary side, one 2200uF 16v Fuhjyyu for the 12v line and one 3300uF 10v cap for the 5v line, though both 5v and 12v are rock solid according to my multimeter so I've diagnosed those caps as fine (also seeing as the other Fuhjyyu cap seemed to be ok...)

So my question now is what could possibly be wrong? I tried powering up the PSU without the Fuhjyyu 3.3v cap and it behaved the same as before, no worse nor any better... It also behaves a bit strange when I flip it's powerswitch, (off) it pulses out current to the computer, making it flash it's standby power led...

I'd like to fix this PSU because I think the design is pretty good... It's rated for 235w and I'm pretty sure it can deliver that and then some more...

Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-11-2014, 03:57 AM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded due to problems with host
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Re: Fotron Source FSP235-60GT 3.3v out of spec

A little simplistic, but have you verified whether the Vsense wire from the ATX connector is viable and properly attached at both ends?

I had a Fortron ATX300-GT (I have a few kicking around, they're cheap and can be quite useful) with an out-of-range 3.3vdc line (around 3.75 I believe), the PSU immediately shutting down if it was tipped or shaken. The problem in this case was the 3.3 Vsense wire, which had come loose from its solder point on the PCB and was now barely scraping its surface.

Apparently increasing resistance at this junction would cause the 3.3v to rise (ultimately going way out of spec), while disconnection would shut down the unit.

Comment

Thank you so much tiresias, I would never have thought of that... In the second pic you can see the small PCB that controls 3.3v... Vsense goes into it, I saw that the soldering joint was not so good so I resoldered it and then tuned the potentiometer so I got 3.33v with my test mobo...

Voltages where stable...

So I fired it up on a very high end machine for that 235w PSU, a KT7A mobo with a 1.4ghz Athlon and a 9800Pro, started Rthdribl and the voltages are at 3.43v, just fluctuating +0.02v!

Again, thank you allot! (And FYI I replaced the Fuhjyyu 3300uF 10v cap with a TEAPO I took of an old Epox 8KHA+ mobo, rated for just 2200uF but that does not seem to be a problem... Of course I will buy good caps for this nice PSU in my next order with Elfa...)
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
        Thank you so much tiresias, I would never have thought of that... In the second pic you can see the small PCB that controls 3.3v... Vsense goes into it, I saw that the soldering joint was not so good so I resoldered it and then tuned the potentiometer so I got 3.33v with my test mobo...

Voltages where stable...
        Glad to be of aid

The PCB soldering joints for those Vsense wires can be a little weak at times - I guess it's a consequence of both of the tiny wire gauge Fortron uses and the, at times, relatively loose cable ties/grommeting - which increases the risk of the wire getting "pulled".

Now, following the "Vsense incident", I always make sure that I open up any newly-acquired PSU and give its output wires a full treatment with tightly-pulled, large, black, scary cable ties before and after the grommet.

Well, I first test the unit at least once to see if it's not DOA, and after that - Warranty-void-stickers-be-damned!

Comment

Well, I first test the unit at least once to see if it's not DOA, and after that - Warranty-void-stickers-be-damned!
          hehehehe i do the same. i just cannot sleep good if i have not dissasembled new products to assess their quality and determine their mtbf.

congrats on the success guys, its nice to see the forum make people happy.
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Good call tiresias! The +3.3V is usually post-regulated with a mag-amp. It's a little circuit that gives a special inductor a little reverse charge during the main switch off time. Then when the main switch turns on, in the +3.3V circuit, the first part of the on time is blocked from the O/P circuit as it overcomes the reverse charge of the inductor. The mag-amp circuit controls how much of the main switch on time is blocked so as to achieve regulation.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for the clarification - I was just reading through your PSU FAQ, and I must say it's most well-written and informative.

I'll certainly be posting a few extra questions for you on that FAQ at some point in the near future.

Comment

This must have been how the PSU was supposed to come first right? ;-)

Sanyo MV-WX for everything bar one Rubycon MBZ 10mm in a tight spot... (The Sanyos where all 12.5mm)

I also changed the two small TEAPO caps you can see in the third pic in my first post, 330uF 35v and 220uF 16v...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-11-2014, 03:59 AM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded due to problems with host

Comment

@Per Hansson, you sure those are Sanyo caps? It's not that i doubt it, but i get my hand some sanyo WG caps with "X" vent (1500uF 16V 10mm), and the supplier swear to god(!) that they are original..

It's the same supplier i got my good Sanyo 3300uf WG caps.
                  days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by yanz
                    @Per Hansson, you sure those are Sanyo caps? It's not that i doubt it, but i get my hand some sanyo WG caps with "X" vent (1500uF 16V 10mm), and the supplier swear to god(!) that they are original..

It's the same supplier i got my good Sanyo 3300uf WG caps.
                    we need pictures!
                    all sanyo caps i have seen have k vents.
                    pics of the vents,bungs,and print please.
                    edit!
                    i have seen those x vents on larger sanyo but not the 10mm.

Comment

I have sanyo with that vent on a dell poweredge board from about 1997.
                      The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

The caps below 12.5mm have K vents, those above (I did say they where 12.5mm) have X vents. The caps where bought from Elfa, so they are indeed original and not counterfeit

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-11-2014, 04:00 AM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded due to problems with host

Comment

well, yesterday i stole my sisters camera (j/k ).
                          she was visiting me in the town.

i couldn't took many pics as itsucks for reading the writing on the caps.
                          only got the pics of the vent. everything else of the caps is just the same with my wg caps on another thread in recaping forum.

it is even as shiny as the known 3300uf wg caps. beautiful case.

damn i so confused. already test it on my strider 360W and abit kt7, they do fine.

i'll need to buy a good digital camera eventually..

so here it is, what do you think about it..

instead of "+" vent it is more like "X".

flashlight just make the pic worse.. the macro function isn't good..

Attached Files
                          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

per : show the bung please

yanz : the vents are different but you know we are talking about different markets so who knows. better to get an esr meter and check these caps and the FJ over time and see what happens. also you have WG and Per has WX. maybe they change vent in all series? it is a pity to change something so characteristic of sanyo caps.

why do you bend the leads like that? i dont recommend unless you are careful doing it
                            Last edited by willawake; 03-31-2006, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Attached Files
                              Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-11-2014, 04:00 AM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded due to problems with host

Comment

looks like a sanyo

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                                  looks like a sanyo
                                  I never had any doubts...

Comment

yes i hope so lol. i mean the vents look more sanyo than yanz version.

i will make formal application for info to sanyo and panasonic so we dont get more confused.
                                    Last edited by willawake; 03-31-2006, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Wow, according to my very calibrated "put the hand behind the PSU and feel how warm it is" test the PSU is now running like 20°C lower temp!

Before it was really hot, so hot I got kinda afraid... But I wanted to kill the little fucker

Anyway, now the air from it feels much closer to room temp, and the fan is not spinning full rev anymore either... Guess those caps made quite the difference ;-)

Comment

Here is a new overview pic of the recapped PSU, you can see one large 12.5mm cap in the Secondary side with the X vent but also in the middle of the PSU two smaller caps, with "K" vents, 10 and 8mm in diameter. 330uF 35v and 220uF 16v respectivley...

Attached Files
                                        Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-11-2014, 04:01 AM. Reason: Offsite images uploaded due to problems with host

Comment

Working...
                                        X