Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successful P4 478 OEM Gateway to retail Intel bios flash...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successful P4 478 OEM Gateway to retail Intel bios flash...

Got bored last night. Decided to try and kill my OEM Gateway D865GLC motherboard.

I been tryin to flash the damn thing to the retail Intel bios for weeks without success until last night.

As you know, Intel's flash utility checks the BIOS strings for manufacturer ID, and if they don't match, you don't flash, even if you attempt it in recovery mode.

So just for craps and giggles I took the latest Intel BIOS and put it on a floppy disk and renamed it to the current installed Gateway bios .BIO file. Then I set the jumper to maintenance mode and set the BIOS to scan for user bins. Then I took an old no-name PCI NIC and slapped my old KX7-333R motherboard BIOS in the boot rom socket and slapped it in my puter with the logic that well maybe I can confuse it.

Well after removing the jumper so it would flash directly from a floppy in recovery mode, lo and behold the thing actually flashed to the retail BIOS! The icky-poo 15A vendor identifier is gone and replaced with a lovely 86A.

Gateway can officially kiss my

AFAIK, I am the only person to have achieved this method on this particular chipset without editing the bios strings.

I now have all the hidden settings that normally ship with the retail board enabled! While not useful for overclocking, at least I can set my AGP aperture and memory timings so it does not default to the crappy 320mhz whenever I put double sided DIMMS in it.

Everything seems stable and runs fairly decent. I did have to phone into Micro$oft though because my LAN drivers had to be installed before I could get on the net.

However there are two quirks that I just don't get... first the CPU fan runs wide open and second the little red LED light that normally flashes when there is trouble is now constantly lit. BIOS error log is clean, and CPUID pulls up the correct info on all the components.

Also, on another note, I found the cheapest P4 heatsinks ever. Turns out the DELL poweredge 6 heatpipe tower coolers will fit in the OEM Gateway "swing bar" retention bracket. Cheapest I have seen is around $7 including shipping... they are MASSIVE. I'm thinkin that with one of these puppies installed I could possibly keep my Prescott in spec with nothing more than the case fan blowing over it.

Re: Successful P4 478 OEM Gateway to retail Intel bios flash...

hmmm ... good deal and something i find interesting .

i have several older (ancient to middle aged) oem machines/boards kicking around .
    i use these for "pieces-parts" to build ubuntu (and the occasional windows flavor) based machines to give away to kids that can't afford a comp (call them "the less fortunate" .

i have though that it would be nice to be able to do as you have done .
    is there a website dedicated to doing such things ?
    a list of boards-n-bioses (is that even a word ?) would be helpful .

Comment

I know this thread is a bit old, but i have a old gateway WL810E board im trying to flash with the intel version, but i cant seem to get past the checksum.Ive tried editing the ID strings with HxD and tried fixing the checksum but i still get (S18 authentication error) Ive tried recovery mode aswell with no luck. I havent tried this method, but i know there is a setting in the bios to scan for user bins, but not knowing what it meant i never tried enabling it.I do have an old intel NIC with a socketed rom so i am curious to try this.

But you mentioned that you renamed the .BIO file, so im assuming your bios is a single file, where i have 5 .BIO files labels P06-0007.BIO,BI1,BI2,BI3,BI4 so would i just rename them to the intel versions, and that should work in the same manner? If you could please explain this in more detail that would be great, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by evil lurker View Post
        got bored last night. Decided to try and kill my oem gateway d865glc motherboard.

I been tryin to flash the damn thing to the retail intel bios for weeks without success until last night.

As you know, intel's flash utility checks the bios strings for manufacturer id, and if they don't match, you don't flash, even if you attempt it in recovery mode.

So just for craps and giggles i took the latest intel bios and put it on a floppy disk and renamed it to the current installed gateway bios .bio file. Then i set the jumper to maintenance mode and set the bios to scan for user bins. Then i took an old no-name pci nic and slapped my old kx7-333r motherboard bios in the boot rom socket and slapped it in my puter with the logic that well maybe i can confuse it.

Well after removing the jumper so it would flash directly from a floppy in recovery mode, lo and behold the thing actually flashed to the retail bios! The icky-poo 15a vendor identifier is gone and replaced with a lovely 86a.

Gateway can officially kiss my

Afaik, i am the only person to have achieved this method on this particular chipset without editing the bios strings.

I now have all the hidden settings that normally ship with the retail board enabled! While not useful for overclocking, at least i can set my agp aperture and memory timings so it does not default to the crappy 320mhz whenever i put double sided dimms in it.
        good job!
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

About the fans. - See page 74.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

The Gateway/emachines P4 boards vary the voltage to the CPU fan. The Intel bios runs them at the full 12V all the time. The fan control menu in the Intel bios only applies to the case fans.

Check your onboard audio and LAN for proper function after changing to the Intel bios. I managed to flash a Gateway D865GVHZ with an Intel bios, but the Gateway board uses a different lan and audio chip than the Intel board and these did not work with the Intel bios.

Comment

Where is this LED on the board?
              All I see is a +5vsb status LED and it should be lit solid.
              - Gateway may have used it in another way.

You might try to hack the Gateway BIOS fan control into the Intel BIOS.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

Nice job evil lurker! I've heard many times in the past if you happen to have a dip socket BIOS chip you can flash it in a NIC card with the same socket. Somehow I always end up with MoBos that have surface mount BIOS chips I used to have a nice collection of Phoenix and AMI BIOS editing programs that were useful to hack BIOS modules. Check out this site : Wim's BIOS lots of good info there.
                If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist, you'd better vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot!

Comment

No luck trying evil lurker's method for my old gateway WL810E.Still get low pitch beeps in recovery mode, and get invalid reserved ID string in image header using iflash in dos mode.I dont know why it seems these old p3 intel boards are bios hack proof.

Comment

I have flashed a many gateway OEM Intel boards with Intel bios and even a few intel boards with OEM bios. The trick is to insure the boards are the same reference boards and that just features are turned off via the bios but still have the same hardware (which is the case over 50% of the time). You have to check everything (Northbridge, Southbridge, Clock Generator, Etc...

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                      I have flashed a many gateway OEM Intel boards with Intel bios and even a few intel boards with OEM bios. The trick is to insure the boards are the same reference boards and that just features are turned off via the bios but still have the same hardware (which is the case over 50% of the time). You have to check everything (Northbridge, Southbridge, Clock Generator, Etc...
                      In my case, the board is an oem only board, but ive obtained the intel bios for this exact board before gateway adds there oem logo's and changes the ID string from .86A to .15A , but when i change the ID and fix the checksum, i still get invalid reserved ID string.I am either not correcting the checksum after hex editing, or there is some other protection.

Comment

My guess is the WL810E gateway board is not a direct reference to a Intel board. Gateway often used direct boards and bought them in bulk from Intel then flashed them.

Take the D845GZC for example it was used in a assload of Gateways and MPC Client Pros and was a released Intel board. It can be direct flashed with Gateway, MPC or Intel bios. Like I said you just have to insure the hardware is the same and that all the bios does is enable or disable features of the board.

Comment

Originally posted by mahkeymike View Post
                          In my case, the board is an oem only board, but ive obtained the intel bios for this exact board before gateway adds there oem logo's and changes the ID string from .86A to .15A , but when i change the ID and fix the checksum, i still get invalid reserved ID string.I am either not correcting the checksum after hex editing, or there is some other protection.
                          Going out on a limb here, but are you trying to flash the boot block as well as the main BIOS modules??? Do you actually have a checksum error on screen? ID string .86A is OEM and .15A is the Intel BIOS you are flashing, correct? IIRC Intel boards use Phoenix exclusively?? Different BIOSes (AMI/Award/Phoenix) have their structure setup differently and are very board specific.
                          If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist, you'd better vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by Digital Technophile View Post
                            Going out on a limb here, but are you trying to flash the boot block as well as the main BIOS modules??? Do you actually have a checksum error on screen? ID string .86A is OEM and .15A is the Intel BIOS you are flashing, correct? IIRC Intel boards use Phoenix exclusively?? Different BIOSes (AMI/Award/Phoenix) have their structure setup differently and are very board specific.
                            I tried flashing just the bios files (.bio,.bi1,2.ect) and the boot block (.bbo) aswell.Either way i get invalid ID string errors.Intel uses .86A and gateways ID is .15A. No matter what i edit, even just a single random byte at the end of the bios will make it fail to flash, even when trying to fix the checksum after editing.As for the intel's version of bios, it is the same "AMIBIOSC0632" just ID strings are different, and then there is other areas that are identical.Theres no doubt the intel bios, was most likely given to gateway for that exact board for them to modify with oem logo's and such.

Comment

Originally posted by mahkeymike View Post
                              I tried flashing just the bios files (.bio,.bi1,2.ect) and the boot block (.bbo) aswell.Either way i get invalid ID string errors.Intel uses .86A and gateways ID is .15A. No matter what i edit, even just a single random byte at the end of the bios will make it fail to flash, even when trying to fix the checksum after editing.As for the intel's version of bios, it is the same "AMIBIOSC0632" just ID strings are different, and then there is other areas that are identical.Theres no doubt the intel bios, was most likely given to gateway for that exact board for them to modify with oem logo's and such.
                              Just so we're on the same page, go here and get the entire BIOS ID string (maybe you know the old to compare??). Something doesn't seem right. Besides Wim's, another BIOS site I've referred to in the past is Rebels Haven Forum. They're mainly Biostar fanatics, but know their shit as well as peoples here know caps. Let's see what you've got.

Comment

Just so we're on the same page, go here and get the entire BIOS ID string (maybe you know the old to compare??). Something doesn't seem right. Besides Wim's, another BIOS site I've referred to in the past is Rebels Haven Forum. They're mainly Biostar fanatics, but know their shit as well as peoples here know caps. Let's see what you've got.
                                I dumped the old bios with a willem programmer so i have the old bios.This is the original bios ID string "$IBIOSI$WL81020A.15A.0007.P06.0010031249" and the ID string from the intel version bios is "$IBIOSI$WL81020A.86A.0013.P06.0103291405" I have tried Wims but only found a link to a website in chinese that i dont understand, but is supposed to explain how to extract an AMI bios out of intel .bio files.But i wasnt able to figure it out.Another site i tried was bios-mods, but got no help there at all.Atleast here im getting some spark of interest, which i do appreciate.

Also i would like point out that since i was able to use a willem programmer to dump the bios chip, shouldnt AMI tools like AMIBCP, and MMtool beable to read it? At first i thought maybe my dump was no good so i dumped it a few times and every dump's md5sum matched, and i flashed it to a spare chip and it worked.So my only guess is the bios is encrypted?

Comment

I remember AMIBCP can corrupt certain BIOSes and the BIOS is more likely using some sort of compression. Sorry it's been a while since I did anything with BIOS modding and lost all my stuff, I'd try looking around Rebels Haven forum. There are some pretty in depth threads dealing with all kinds of BIOS and applications.

Comment

I remember AMIBCP can corrupt certain BIOSes and the BIOS is more likely using some sort of compression. Sorry it's been a while since I did anything with BIOS modding and lost all my stuff, I'd try looking around Rebels Haven forum. There are some pretty in depth threads dealing with all kinds of BIOS and applications.
                                    I havent even got that far.I cant find any tool to open/edit even the straight dump from the chip.
                                    Here is the bios image from dumping the chip on a willem programmer.

Maybe someone can find a tool that works.

BTW, the dump is good, i reflashed it to a spare chip and it worked fine in the board.

http://www.multiupload.com/GB7QB1089L

Comment

Cant seem to let this mobo R.I.P Was able to see and decompress contents with AMIdeco but now cant figure out what file is OEM logo.
                                      If you look you will see "OEM LOGO data" but this file when extracted is 1KB in size.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by mahkeymike; 01-14-2012, 03:24 PM.

Comment

mahkeymike, where is the Intel version you managed to obtain? I've seen some posts on a russian site about merging the various bio, bi1, bi2, etc. files to make a flashable rom file. Wouldn't mind giving it a try for you.

Comment

Working...
                                        X