Internet Speed (Speedtest.net)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet Speed (Speedtest.net)

My ISP is Bell (Canada) and apparently I'm using their FIBE-6 service.

Pretty slow, PING=18, Download=6.21 MBPS, Upload=.74 MBPS.

I could upgrade to FIBE-25 for $80/month and get download speed up to 25MBPS.

No need to say that this is a hose job.

Just wondered what speeds you are getting in your location and what it costs you.

I currently pay about $44 for Internet, but it's bundled with phone and TV.

(Canada is reputed to have among the worst Internet speeds in the developed world )

Re: Internet Speed (Speedtest.net)

I've got AT&T for both mobile phone and home internet/phone.
    They suck at both. However, when I tether my laptop to my phone I get a faster connection than through my own home DSL...

Through my phone: (I think it's like $80/mo for 2GB of data)

I'll add my home result when I get home.

Comment

100/6 cable here... about 31$ bundled with about 100 channels digital SD and phone (free calls within provider's network, about 5-10 cents a minute for the rest)

Some minor hiccups the last few days (disconnections for a few seconds a few times a day) other than that it's super stable.

within the country:

within europe :

To be fair, the ISP does limit each connection outside Europe to about 15-20 mbps but I have no problems getting about 60 mbps with several download threads when I need to.

See how nice it can be when you have loads of companies competing for your money?

one of my dedicated servers:

upload speed test is kind of faulty because of the flash updating the screen a lot through remote desktop connection so the small packets plus compression and encryption mess up the flash performance.
      Last edited by mariushm; 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

$31 for that! Damn, you're lucky! Where I live it's either AT&T or Comcast.
        $19.99/month for 6Mbps down/768K up. It's usually $50/mo but we got a 1-year deal (threatened to leave to Comcast if they didn't lower it)

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post

Pretty slow, PING=18, Download=6.21 MBPS, Upload=.74 MBPS.
          That's not very good. Bell is usually much better than that.
          We just switched from Bell to Shaw at work, mainly die to cost.

My home Shaw is pretty good. Measured with other computers accessing the net as well.
          Attached Files
          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

smason, what does Shaw charge you a month for that?

I dumped Rogers because they were overpriced, but Bell is truly awful.

My download speed of 6.21 is exactly what Fibe-6 is supposed to deliver. All this blazing speed for $45/month. We need some competition in this sector!

The "Fibe" stands for fibre-optic network. Should change the name to "Stone Age".

Comment

Looks like my home DSL is in a good mood right now:
              This is like the best speeds I've ever gotten here:

Tomorrow I'll test again, it'll probably suck. lol!

Comment

Bredband2 AB Sweden
                100/100 Fibre
                Price is €38 per month

Attached Files
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                  Bredband2 AB Sweden
                  100/100 Fibre
                  Price is €38 per month

Damn that's an even better deal... I could running a whole web hosting copmany offa that! I want to move now

Comment

should be DSL 6144/640 KBit/s
                    paying about 40eur/month (~54usd) incl. ISDN phone line (3 numbers). nothing else.

Our ISP (Arcor) was bought out by Vodafone a couple years back and has since turned into complete crap. Service callcenter (a proper one!) was replaced by a computer voice, the lines are ridiculously oversold (starting at roughly 5pm, the speed takes a nosedive down to 1/3 of what it should be.. every day) and the connection drops out a lot.
                    We're thinking of switching, but other providers aren't much better. And the faster connections (like 25MBit or 50MBit VDSL) have ridiculous traffic limits (50MBit line will get throttled down to 3MBit if you use more than 25GB traffic per month)

Cable is pretty much useless here, as they advertise for example 100MBit download speeds, but if you read the fineprint you'll see that the upload is just a pathetic 512KBit or 1MBit.

Germany is pretty much a 3rd world country when it comes to internet connectivity.
                    Speeds over 16MBit/1MBit DSL are either ridiculously expensive, or simply not available at all.

And instead of fixing the lines, they now try to sell LTE/4G surfsticks as alternatives. Of course not mentioning that the super fast 25MBit LTE connection will get throttled to less than 1MBit if you run into the absolutely ridiculous traffic limit of 10GB (in- *and* outbound). Per month!

What's the friggin point of a 25MBit connection (sold as a DSL alternative for general home use!) with traffic limits like that?!

On my netbook, i'm using a prepaid SIM card.
                    Crappy traffic limits as well (1GB/day and 5GB/month), but i don't use it much, so it's not really a problem..
                    24hours -> 2euro (roughly 2.68usd)
                    1month -> 14eur (roughly 18.75usd)

Speeds of up to 7.2MBit/s (3G+ ?!), but my USB stick is an old one which doesn't support more than theoretical 3.6MBit/s (Huawei E160)

For the price, it's OK. My bro uses the same provider/prepaid card with a newer Huawei USB stick, and he gets roughly 5MBit down and 1.5MBit up

edit:
                    Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                    Through my phone: (I think it's like $80/mo for 2GB of data)
                    holy sh*it! ripoff much!?
                    Last edited by Scenic; 12-06-2011, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Yes definitely a ripoff.
                      That speed nosedive during peak times sounds very very very familiar to me

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                        Bredband2 AB Sweden
                        100/100 Fibre
                        Price is €38 per month

OMG! wow thats fast! xD
                        And I thought my service was fast!
                        Of course its 5x faster than my friends, but wow, that is fast!

Here it is:

-Ben
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Pretty surprising survey so far.

The Romanian and Swedish examples are "premium service" I think. But still they are 2 to 4 times faster than any premium service in Canada !!!

Germany is a shocker with similar performance to Canada.

I am wondering if high-speed internet is perceived by Swedish and Romanian governments as a competitive advantage, and perhaps the government encourages this.

In Canada we have the CRTC which is supposed to regulate broadcasting of all kinds to provide better service, but obviously their efforts are a dismal failure.

Operating a phone/TV/Internet company in Canada is a licence to print money. Your choice boils down to the phone company or a single ISP within a given area. They obviously collude. End-of-rant

Comment

Oh we pay through the nose for it. $62.00/mo the advertised speed is 25MB down, 2.5 up 250GB max/month.
                            The download speed *is* consistently good.

I don't much care about upload speed or the transfer limit, I'm not a big leecher, so it works for me, but when I see the Europeans (especially that Swedish one) I get pretty jealous.
                            36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

You're aware that there is a company out there that you pay another $10 a month to, and they provide you with a seperate PPPoE username/pass that you can use that has unlimited caps?

Marius and Per, what do you need such fast internet for? Do you have a 24/7 linkup with the security cameras in your cattle barns, or are you running some kind high-speed, village-wide multiplayer Tetris tournament?

We used to have Shaw in our area until Rogers engulfed them. Ah, the good old days. People here pay a fortune for Rogers and the bandwidth caps are ridiculous.
                              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                Marius and Per, what do you need such fast internet for? Do you have a 24/7 linkup with the security cameras in your cattle barns, or are you running some kind high-speed, village-wide multiplayer Tetris tournament?
                                If you can get a connection like that for that price, why go for anything lower (unless it's crippled by traffic limits)?

Fiber(re?) connections are getting increasingly popular. Especially up north (in Europe).
                                NL is coming up with that stuff too.. actually pretty much every country.. except germany it seems

Fiber connections here seem to be limited to the biggest cities at the moment..
                                Where I live, internet connectivity is just laughable. The best that could be shoved through the phone lines (DSL) is around 8.5MBit/s (crappy lines) or 25MBit via cable, but with ridiculously undersized upload speeds (512KBit), which makes the whole thing kinda pointless as it's less than what we get now with regular DSL

To be honest, I'm fine with 6MBit download speeds. What makes it a pain is the seemingly always undersized upload speed.
                                For example, uploading a video to youtube..
                                a) takes forever
                                b) pretty much kills the connection for everyone else in the household
                                c) you can't do anything else while it's uploading (feels like 56k dialup)

When i upload videos, i usually try to do it late at night, cause it literally takes at least an hour depending on the length and quality of the video. And that's pretty much an hour without internet as it's too slow/unresponsive to be usable.
                                Last edited by Scenic; 12-07-2011, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Been having diminishing speed speeds for a few days until my connection was finally lost today. After contacting my ISP I'm now back to normal...

System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

mockingbird : these high bw plans are a consequence of competition between 2 large ISP companies, about 4-5 phone companies and several small local ISP companies.

It's a long story but ISP companies here even had to compete with and buy out small networks people made in neighborhoods (someone used to pay something like 300$ a month in today's money for 128kbps and share it with several people, just so they wouldn't use dial up and have it throughout the day)

My ISP has these plans now:

Just divide the LEI by 3 and you get the dollars. Then multiply by 1.24 to get final price (24% VAT in this country).

If I were just a student I could get on by with just the free internet, where you just pay 10$ for the cable modem. But I'd be able to afford 10/2 for 3$ a month as well.

I got the 100/6 for about 45 LEI (15$) + digital tv for about 15$ + phone with unlimited calls within network for about 2$ a month, everything discounted to about 22 dollars because i subscribed for 2 years and further got 50% off for 6 months.
                                    So with VAT, I pay in total about 31$ now.

A couple of weeks later they changed it to 120/6 because the other major ISP started to offer 100/4 at a cheaper price. But really, I didn't even call them to upgrade me, they would probably do it if I ask.

It just doesn't make sense to go down to 60/4 just to save a handful of dollars. I also work a lot with videos (doing video encoding, processing for a company) so I have periods when I download 60-100 GB over night, there's no complaints from anyone.

The other ISP offers 50mbps/4 mbps for about 12$ and 100/4 for 20$ but outside the country they're both capped to about 12-15 mbps download speed. But they have a better tv offering (football, champions league etc) so they get more people that way nowadays.
                                    Last edited by mariushm; 12-07-2011, 05:25 AM.

Comment

mockingbird; Scenic has it spot on, if I *can* get such a speed why settle for less?
                                      Sure, the 100/10 connection is a bit cheaper at €32 vs €38 for the full speed 100/100 connection.
                                      If I go down another notch to 10/10 the price is €25 and if I go down to 5/5 it is €18
                                      That is the lowest speed I can get with a subscription, my apartment rental includes a 0.5mbps connection for free

All these are unmetered full speed connections with no download caps.
                                      I use the connection so much that I simply want the best speed I can get...
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

It's a long story but ISP companies here even had to compete with and buy out small networks people made in neighborhoods (someone used to pay something like 300$ a month in today's money for 128kbps and share it with several people, just so they wouldn't use dial up and have it throughout the day)
                                        Yea, but how good is it outside Bucharest? Canada is pretty good about their coverage, except out in the boonies.
                                        If I were just a student I could get on by with just the free internet, where you just pay 10$ for the cable modem. But I'd be able to afford 10/2 for 3$ a month as well.
                                        You can spoof and uncap a conection and use it for free. I wonder how vigilant about that they are in Romania. In Canada I heard that Rogers is extremely strict about detecting spoofers, but not so with American Cable ISPs. For the record, I have never done anything like this.
                                        mockingbird; Scenic has it spot on, if I *can* get such a speed why settle for less?
                                        Sure, the 100/10 connection is a bit cheaper at €32 vs €38 for the full speed 100/100 connection.
                                        If I go down another notch to 10/10 the price is €25 and if I go down to 5/5 it is €18
                                        That is the lowest speed I can get with a subscription, my apartment rental includes a 0.5mbps connection for free
                                        Because that is a lot of money. We're talking about Euros here, not dollars. Marius is really getting a good deal, if you don't mind the high latency to the US (Though I'm not sure how big websites have their content distribution set up with Europe or if there even are special content distribution servers for Europe), but you're not. The 10/10 plan is a great deal though.
                                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
                                        X