Acer AL2423W: Recapped, Still Dead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer AL2423W: Recapped, Still Dead!

Hey all... My Acer AL2423W (24" LCD monitor) died on me. No LED, no power, nothing. Completely lifeless.

Googled the issue, and learned it has cheap caps in it, so I recapped the entire secondary side with Nichicons. The caps looked fine, sans two 100uF'ers that had spit the bottom plug out (lead end).

Still dead.

I took the PSU to a local TV repair joint... They were not interested in diagnosing it. They just want to replace. Are there no more real old school local corner electronics technicians anymore? Just parts swappers?

A month of fighting this thing and now I've taken it as a personal mission to fix it. It's a sweet monitor and I simply don't want to throw it away. I've even replaced it already with a Samsung 2333hd but I still want my old monitor back.

So let me know what else to check on this one. I really want to fix it to bring this monitor back to life and sell off the Samsung.

Already checked the fuse, the power cord, and switch. Verified there is 120VAC in the board after these components. All the diodes seem okay, as well as the resistors altho I did check everything in-circuit and surely didn't check all the SMD components on the greenside.

Thanks for the help, fellas! I'm new here and I like the get-it-fixed attitude on here as opposed to the usual just-chuck-it guys that keep turning me away.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CleanSC; 05-20-2010, 09:44 PM.
    Successfully Saved Various TV's and Monitors from the Landfill:
    Acer AL2423W (Fixed in 2010, Still in use today), Panasonic TH-37PD25 (Twice), Panasonic TC-P55GT30 ($100 CL Score), JVC 27" LCD Television
    Repair Equipment: Fluke 88V, Hakko 936
    Skills: Measure/solder at component level. Light IC replacements (Chip Quik)

Re: Acer AL2423W: Recapped, Still Dead!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9210

Check that thread, there's some useful info there on the same monitor that other people had similar issues as you.

Might desolder the ground shield on the bottom of the PSU and see whats under it.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

I'm presuming you have checked that you are getting a DC voltage reading across the large cap ~ 1.4x the line voltage (measure with care, both leads are hot), and that you have verified that all three fuses are intact.
      Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6995
        See that thread, too.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Topcat, I will have a look under the ground shield and see if anything pops out at me. Will take pics.

Pedro, I have not checked voltage at C1 but will and report back. Should be a little over 160 VDC, right?

The only fuse I checked was the obvious F1 main fuse. Where are the other two?

Dondrusco, yes I have seen your thread and wish I had your success rate, haha Nice pics and fixes!

I have not looked much at my video board as the caps look fine on it. Then again, I didn't have any bloaters on my PSU, just 2 pushed out plugs on C13 and C16. Everything else seemed fine. Maybe I need to replace the remaining 5 caps on the primary side? (C22, 23, 25, 30 & 32) They look fine visually.

Could the video board be causing a no power issue?

Thanks for all the tips! Will get on it and report back.
          Acer AL2423W (Fixed in 2010, Still in use today), Panasonic TH-37PD25 (Twice), Panasonic TC-P55GT30 ($100 CL Score), JVC 27" LCD Television

Comment

Originally posted by CleanSC

The only fuse I checked was the obvious F1 main fuse. Where are the other two?
            Hello
            I think THere are 4 fuses
            As you have seen F1
            There is FS3 black box fuse by connector CNS1
            Also FS2 black box fuse by lower H/Sink on right side of board
            As well as red box fuse by connector CNS2

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
              Hello
              I think THere are 4 fuses
              As you have seen F1
              There is FS3 black box fuse by connector CNS1
              Also FS2 black box fuse by lower H/Sink on right side of board
              As well as red box fuse by connector CNS2
              Good spotting. I missed one.
              Friends don't let friends buy Samsung ....

Comment

Quick update...

All four fuses are good. .3 ohms or less thru each.

Input voltage of 118VAC gives me 154VDC at C1.

Did not have time to fire up the soldering iron today to check under the ground shield. Will do that tomorrow.

What should I look at next?

Thanks, all!

Comment

Okay got the ground shield off. Don't see anything obvious there. See pic.

I'm out of things to check. What should I look at next?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Any other help, fellas?

If not, does anyone want to buy this otherwise perfect monitor?

Better yet, anyone want to fix my PSU? I'll pay obviously.

Thanks!

Comment

So just to confirm, have you changed EVERY cap on the PSU board (small and big)?

Any other help, fellas?
                      Thanks!
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Good question...

I have replaced every cap small and big on the primary side.

The secondary caps all look fine. Funny you should ask because at the moment I am about to pull the trigger on Digikey for the 6 small caps on the Secondary side. Might as well do those before I give up completely.

I'm also debating replacing all the video board caps but there's 28 of those. Maybe I'll do just the 8 330uf ones and the 100uf (the same ones TopCat changed) I have most of these on hand so I might as well order the last three with this current order and swap 'em out.

That should put me in a pretty sorted spot to finally figure this out.

Thanks for the response! I will report back after I install all the new caps.

Comment

CleanSC

Please update your profile to show what country (at least) you are in.

So exactly which caps did you replace? The two by CNS1? Can you circle them on your pix?

Comment

Man, I type too slow...

Did you check if you get the 5v back? (see the pinout near CNS1)

Comment

Hey Lucky...

Sorry about the profile, it's updated now.

I changed all the caps on the secondary side (I mispoke earlier), which are all the caps to the right of the dividing line. They run along the right perimeter of the board down to the lower right corner.

The primary caps are the 6 clustered on the center of the board and are on order.

All the output pins are dead. I'm testing them by probing each of the +v pins and the ground pin. Nothing. Is this the proper procedure?

Thanks for the response!

Comment

Something caught my eye on the solder side of the inverter board. Is there a burn mark in the upper left hand corner coming down from the screw ground points to the heatsink near the red fuse? What is the writing on the part attatched to the heatsink?
                                The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Hey Lucky...

Sorry about the profile, it's updated now.

I changed all the caps on the secondary side (I mispoke earlier), which are all the caps to the right of the dividing line. They run along the right perimeter of the board down to the lower right corner.

The primary caps are the 6 clustered on the center of the board and are on order.

All the output pins are dead. I'm testing them by probing each of the +v pins and the ground pin. Nothing. Is this the proper procedure?

Thanks for the response!
                                  I've avoided this thread on the theory 'Too many cooks spoil the broth'. Here's a couple of points. This monitor supply appears to have a PFC front end. IC6 is the controller for that. Because you have approximately the correct voltage on C1 we will assume it is working correctly. IC2 appears to be the controller for the standby supply, IC1 is for the main supply. What are the part numbers for those two ICs? By looking up the datasheets we can see what voltages to expect on the pins.

PlainBill
                                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech
                                    Something caught my eye on the solder side of the inverter board. Is there a burn mark in the upper left hand corner coming down from the screw ground points to the heatsink near the red fuse? What is the writing on the part attatched to the heatsink?
                                    Nope, it's just some flux. It scrapes off clean.

What part on what heatsink are you referring to? There are 5 heatsinks.

Originally posted by PlainBill
                                    I've avoided this thread on the theory 'Too many cooks spoil the broth'. Here's a couple of points. This monitor supply appears to have a PFC front end. IC6 is the controller for that. Because you have approximately the correct voltage on C1 we will assume it is working correctly. IC2 appears to be the controller for the standby supply, IC1 is for the main supply. What are the part numbers for those two ICs? By looking up the datasheets we can see what voltages to expect on the pins.

PlainBill
                                    IC1:
                                    EA1532A
                                    5K9M824
                                    Hn65471

IC2:
                                    EA1532A
                                    5R0E622
                                    Hn66041

WOW those are the smallest numbers I have ever had to look at. I used a pretty strong magnifying glass and it's still possible I got a few of them wrong. They weren't very clear due to the size. Hope it's what you need!

Thanks so much, fellas!

Comment

Plainbill, I may be mistaken but I think this may be the datasheet on this link.

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe.../TEA1532T.html
                                      The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech
                                        Plainbill, I may be mistaken but I think this may be the datasheet on this link.

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe.../TEA1532T.html
                                        No, I don't think you are mistaken. That certainly looks like a possible candidate. Thanks for the assist.

CleanSC, in the first picture of the bottom of the board, it appears pin 1 is at the upper right corner of IC1 and IC2. Pin 2 is the pin to the left of pin 1, while pin 8 is at the lower right corner. With the monitor plugged in, what is the voltage from pin 2 (gnd) to pin 8?

Oh, if you get a chance, a closer picture of that area would help.

PlainBill
                                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
                                        X