Windows 8 login screen locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 8 login screen locked

Hi guys, got this laptop from my friend, his brother died last week. There is lots of pictures, videos and stuff he wants to keep and also wants to continue using it.

It's running windows 8, or 8.1 don't really know, and the login screen is locked. Is there any chance of removing the password?

I found this useful ISO:
    Code:
    http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
    But of course it requires you to boot from either CD/DVD or USB. This laptop doesn't have a built in CD/DVD drive, so I went into BIOS and it has the UEFI logo on the top right, searched all over but still cant find the boot options?
    Guess it doesn't have one?

Any help would be appreciated!

Just in case someone thinks its stolen, its not. I'm wiling to post any info/pictures on request.

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15-b155so Sleekbook
    Serial: 5CD3023T4X
    Product: D2G63EA#UUW

Re: Windows 8 login screen locked

Originally posted by 3d0 View Post
    But of course it requires you to boot from either CD/DVD or USB. This laptop doesn't have a built in CD/DVD drive, so I went into BIOS and it has the UEFI logo on the top right, searched all over but still cant find the boot options?
    Guess it doesn't have one?
    Instead of going into the setup, try the boot menu. It can usually be accessed with the Delete, F10, F12, or Esc key.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
      Instead of going into the setup, try the boot menu. It can usually be accessed with the Delete, F10, F12, or Esc key.
      Thanks man, usually I would press F2, or DEL etc. to enter BIOS setup.
      I pressed the ESC key and it offered a menu with various options.
      If F2 is pressed it takes you to the UEFI boot menu options, where you can test components, see system info. and similar stuff. Not what I needed for sure.

Disabled UEFI in the BIOS, still cant boot from the USB drive.
      Have to check if it's bootable on other pc's.

Comment

Thanks man, usually I would press F2, or DEL etc. to enter BIOS setup.
        I pressed the ESC key and it offered a menu with various options.
        If F2 is pressed it takes you to the UEFI boot menu options, where you can test components, see system info. and similar stuff. Not what I needed for sure.

Disabled UEFI in the BIOS, still cant boot from the USB drive.
        Have to check if it's bootable on other pc's.
        Pretty much all PCs since the USB 2.0 era (at least since 2004!) should be able to boot from a USB stick.
        And USB 2.0 is old school now! (2002-2003)

You need to hunt for the boot order settings and make sure to disable "secure boot".
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-24-2014, 01:42 PM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          You need to hunt for the boot order settings and make sure to disable "secure boot".
          It was the usb stick that caused the trouble, swapped it for a sandisk and it booted fine.
          Wasted a lot of time testing all kinds of applications, non of them helped.
          Mostly because the account was made with windows live, not a local user acc.

Finally I found a video that explained a method, and it worked.

Hack a Forgotten Password on Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 BLUE (DON'T ABUSE)

Except I used a linux live distro to change the cmd.exe to utilman.exe.

Comment

My favourite tool that I have ever used when I lock out of my Windows 7 computer: http://www.appgeeker.com/guide/reset...-password.html

Can't "crack" a account, so no chance of entering a system transparently, but can change/remove login password.

It works like a charm for windows 7, it says works for Xp and the new Windows 8 as well.

Comment

keep in mind if you have any encrypted files, they will be irretrievable afterwards, unless you can remember the password.

as far as the pictures...is this one you can easily take the HD out and hook up to another computer?
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                keep in mind if you have any encrypted files, they will be irretrievable afterwards, unless you can remember the password.

as far as the pictures...is this one you can easily take the HD out and hook up to another computer?
                Yes that's true, I was lucky enough the files were not encrypted.

If I remember correctly the HDD was not easily accessible, that was my last option.

Couple days after, he brought the laptop back again saying he hates windows 8, give me back the start button. The only trouble with win7 is that the rigth side usb 3.0 don't work out of the box, so you only have one usb 2.0 on the left side. Need to find a fix for that, if there is any.

Comment

Couple days after, he brought the laptop back again saying he hates windows 8, give me back the start button.
                  LOL, a man after my own heart

Comment

"Windows 8" theres your problem...
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Working...
                    X