Best solder type and size to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best solder type and size to use

What is the all around favorite type and size of solder to do re-caps? I have Archer (Radio Shack) Cat. No. 64-009 60/40 light duty rosin core at .032 (8mm) but I have read about all the different types and want to make sure I am not missing out on anything No lead with water soluble (ROHS) or even No Lead-No Clean Flux ROHS stuff. Any opinions on the best stuff to use for all things considered when re-capping.
    Regards,
    db

Re: Best solder type and size to use

Well after 19 views and no comments I guess everyone is using super glue I thought more people would have said something So I guess regular 60/40 rosin core is the most often used solder for now...
    Regards,
    db

Comment

I currently use solder with some silver content. If it conducts then thats good enough for me. Whilst the normal lead solder is easy to work with, I don't like the fumes after breathing them in for a too many hours.
      Last edited by Fizzycapola; 05-08-2007, 10:22 AM.
      Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

What about the flux "core size"? Is that important? What core size is best for this type of work? And another dumb question...does flux go bad? The reason I ask is sometimes I see new "old stock" and the solder is less expensive. So does solder ever go bad?
        Regards,
        db

Comment

And another question, are the different solder types compatible with each other? Or is that gonna be the next issue with the no lead solder?
          Regards,
          db

Comment

Originally posted by dungbeetle
            So does solder ever go bad?
            solder, no.......the rosin inside, i imagine it can degrade.

i don't use rosin core anymore. for cap replacement, i'll use small solder. (the 8mm you reference would be good). when doing terminals for the PSs we have, i'll grab the bigger stuff....mainly because it would otherwise never get used.
            "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
            AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

stretch0069: What kind of flux do you use with the small solder you mentioned? Just any old rosin flux or a certain one that is a favorite or works best? I guess by small solder you mean "solid" and small in size like the 8mm.
              Regards,
              db

Comment

i simply use what i buy cheap at hamfests.no acid core.no lead free rohs crap.i hoard good solder when i find it cheap.
                only special solder i use is 3% silver for the thompson tuner on board repairs.
                and i bet the 8mm referenced above is really .8mm
                8mm solder would need my american beauty 300w iron to melt it!

Comment

Yes, the solder is .032 .8mm Have you used any 63/37? I was reading about the Ersin brand, now known as "Multicore" and was thinking about trying some of that but its hard to find in US. I know not to use acid core but there are different core "sizes" like Kester 50, 58, and 66 (1.1%, 2.2%, and 3.3% flux). It seems like the easy way is to use solid wire with a good paste flux and dip So thats why all the questions on solder I am curious to know about "no clean" and water soluable but I think that is for lead free stuff. I am wanting to hoard some good solder that I find cheap, just want to make sure its "good".
                  Regards,
                  db

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                    and i bet the 8mm referenced above is really .8mm

oops....

i'll have to see what the sizes are we have. as for flux, i use a water-based flux and a q-tip. when i'm done, i just give a quick scrub with an old toothbrush under really warm water.
                    "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                    AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

i think thats called brazing lol
                      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Does this water based flux do not develop those bad fumes?
                        Yesterday, i run in drugtesting troubles, due to pink eyes caused by some rosin core fumes (i was to close to the solderpoint and thus a little smoke was traped in my eyes).
                        I guess that those fumes are highly corosive and are not that healthy for eyes.
                        May be i should weare some eye protektion glasses or should source a more powerfull air sucker.

Comment

Not sure about the fumes as water based flux is commonly just resin in alcohol but I am sure there are many formulas for the stuff so thats why I was asking myself about these types of fluxes. I figured it would be easier to buy solid core solder and use flux so I could be prepared for different situations by simply changing the flux.

P.S. Visine works on the eyes
                          Regards,
                          db

Comment

*OT on*:
                            i know abouth Visine (i even have it in my car), but if your clean& innocent appart from a little (wich is ok here as long as your below 0,5 promille, abouth two to three beers within a few hours) why care abouth sutch things?
                            But you can be assured, that i would never forget to use visine now, as from that point the Officer has seen my pink eyes, he was getting realy uncomfortable.
                            I have had no experience like this and i have been in may traffic controls up to now.
                            The officer was realy dissapointed, when he realized that the drugtest was negativ. He couldn`t belive it.
                            *OT off*

I already use the flux in alcohol mixture, if i have to do a big resolder job on heavily oxidized lead free Grundig TV sets and similar hard to solder things.
                            For good wettable solderconections i am comfortable with resin core.
                            From my point of view, no of those are "watersoluble" in any way.
                            So i think this watersoluble kind of flux must be somehow different.
                            Last edited by gonzo0815; 05-15-2007, 03:24 AM.

Comment

The typical solder you would use has mildly activated rosen core. Often called "RMA" solder. One example is Kester #285.

Diameter depends on how fine the work. It's easier to use too small a diameter on large parts than too large on small. I suggest 0.025 is probably a good compromise, but up to 0.031 is acceptible. "IF" you are not using a separate flux, choose a solder with higher % of flux in it. For example with Kester if buying from a vendor that carries their full lines you will have different part #s for the 1/2/3% flux ratio. Use the highest %.

You can use no-clean, but assume you will not clean it off, that is the point and it's not always alcohol soluble so special cleaning chemicals can be required - but it is clean, not very objectionable to leave on a board and isn't conductive.

The type of solder should match the original solder. Don't use silver based thinking it's better if the original isn't (and it never is, unless the manufacturer had used silver /plated wire). There is a little latitude, you might use 60/40 instead of 63/37 or vice-versa but on lead-free boards, use lead-free solder. On leaded boards use leaded solder. It is possible to get a good joint mixing solders but it's better not to, rather having more than one type of solder on hand to cover both scenarios or buying whichever is applicable to the (one) repair you needed to make.

There is some latitude, you can get away with using suboptimally chosen solder or flux in a pinch but I mention the above since the goal of the post seemed to be making better choices.

Water based fluxes are not just resin in alcohol. They are water soluble without the alcohol while it's typically rosin flux that is dissolved in alcohol.

Water soluble fluxes are often used by mass manufacturers, but there is no particular reason for a repairer to use them (but you can if you want). Beware of some types of water soluble that are acid based and not meant for electronics repair rather than some metal object like building stained glassware or plumbing.

Comment

9999999999: (looks like almost pure silver to me) : Thanks for the detailed answer to my solder choice question. I appreciate it. I do have one more question for future reference How does one tell what kind of solder was used on the piece he is working on? Like how does one know if it is "no lead" or has silver in it? Is there a simple test or is it based on heat to melt it, or plastic state, or experience?
                                Regards,
                                db

Comment

Often lead-free is less shiney and a bit lighter hued, maybe a tiny tiny bit redder hue but that might be only when it has copper in it, I don't recall. A RoHS statement would be an obvious indicator. If you had a well calibrated soldering station you might be able to scrape off a bit of solder and see if it melts at "X" temp but copper bearing solders also may melt at lower temp. Judge also based on age and type of part, most things are lead-free now but weren't a few years ago. Leaded solder is also typically softer, easier to indent with a sharp tool. If there's a chemist around they might have some suggestion about a spot-test method.

Comment

Working...
                                  X