Replacing LED Lenses After Repair...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing LED Lenses After Repair...

I've done a few led repairs and never noticed any screen distortion afterwards but must have just been lucky as the last two turned out horrendous with halos and hotspotting.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks you use to get the lens into the proper position to mitigate these problems ?

Re: Replacing LED Lenses After Repair...

Led lense? Super glue gel

Comment

You can use loca glue with special lighthow used for phone

Comment

I have the panel on the floor with it turned on and the LEDs lit, then looking from above I can see if they look off.

5 second fix rather than super glue gel, no chance of cyanoacrylate fumes clouding the plastic and until you cure it with UV, you are free to reposition.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
          I've done a few led repairs and never noticed any screen distortion afterwards but must have just been lucky as the last two turned out horrendous with halos and hotspotting.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks you use to get the lens into the proper position to mitigate these problems ?
          If the lens pedestals are broken, then new lens are the ticket. If the lens pedestals are fine, make sure to clean off all the residual glue from the strip. Cyanoacrylate gel is probably the safest way to attack the lens (UV glue works as well).

The easiest way to remove the lens without damage is to preheat the strip until the lens just lifts off without leaving any plastic behind.

After the LED is replaced, put a tiny drop of glue on each pedestal and drop the lens directly over the die. Try to do this in one step; not moving the lens around too much lest you weaken the bond.

Remember that even when the lens is well placed, it won't look perfect when running the light box with just the diffusers in place. Once the display is installed any slight irregularities will not be noticeable.

John

Comment

LG LB series by chance . Those are very problematic to adjust .

Comment

I use heatsink glue to attach the lenses - this is not the problem. It seems sometimes HEIGHT is critical to the positioning even if you have the lens centered as the lens can focus the light improperly. Very difficult to notice it without reassembling the unit at least partially...

Comment

I use heatsink glue to attach the lenses - this is not the problem. It seems sometimes HEIGHT is critical to the positioning even if you have the lens centered as the lens can focus the light improperly. Very difficult to notice it without reassembling the unit at least partially...
                Height is indeed critical. Make sure the LED is the same size as the original, don't add too much solder (you don't want it to float off the board), and make sure the lens pedestals are not damaged. If you pop them off, they generally leave some behind in the original adhesive volcano.

Heat the bottom of the strips so the lens releases with no damage.

Perfection is unobtainable, but slight brightness irregularities won't be noticeable when the LCD is put back on.

John

Comment

Thank you John I think something just sunk in. I guess I haven't seen a lens that I haven't popped off myself and did not realize there are in fact "pedestals" holding the LEDs up. I always thought the lenses were resting ON small piles of whatever adhesive they use at the factory.

That makes perfect sense thanks for clearing that up. Next time I will heat off the lens from underneath the same way I do to remove the led.

Comment

I use 5-min epoxy on the pedestals and center them by looking straight down thru the lens to see the enlarged LED. I "center" the lens by centering the LED I see thru the lens.

Comment

I use 5 second fix on the lens and like above center them by looking straight down thru the lens to see the enlarged LED just watch how much solder you use on the new led as sometimes the led sits a little high and lens wont seat on all pedastals

Comment

Working...
                      X