Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude buys another tablet: RCA Cambrio W101 V2

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
    Ahhh, thank you. So you're taking the RCA tablet back, eh? You said you're going to get a Surface Pro? I'm not familiar with that make or model. I know with television screens, I get mostly Insignia's or Vizio. They always seem to be much cheaper quality. I never run into a Panasonic or a Sony but that could just because no one buys them in this area.
    It's Microsoft's range of tablets. Surface 1 and 2 used Arm CPUs and ran a version of Windows called RT (garbage). Surface 3 used an Atom and ran 8.1.
    The Surface Pros all run Intel full fat x86 CPUs.

Comment

So no 64-bit? Just 32-bit for all the Surface Pros?
      -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Or did you mean x86_64 CPU's?

Comment

the surface are gonna be locked down like the presidential bunker - no Linux for surface!

Comment

Or did you mean x86_64 CPU's?
            Yes

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              the surface are gonna be locked down like the presidential bunker - no Linux for surface!
              The RTs are locked down the Pros not so. A quick search will show its drivers not the bootloader that is holding various flavours back.
              They also powerful enough to run Linux in a VM.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

-Windows 10 updated and did the following:

Removed CPU-Z as "incompatible with this version"
                Bullshit, Microsoft. Not true unless it was an outdated CPU-Z.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post

that's kind of pointless, you need to have windows in the VM because you need to wall it in and keep it on a leash!

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                    The RTs are locked down the Pros not so. A quick search will show its drivers not the bootloader that is holding various flavours back.
                    Exactly... and even then I hear it's gotten somewhat better.
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                      Bullshit, Microsoft. Not true unless it was an outdated CPU-Z.
                      It was the latest, I installed it fresh the day before.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                        that's kind of pointless, you need to have windows in the VM because you need to wall it in and keep it on a leash!
                        10, yeah; 8.1, not so much.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'll save the money back towards a used surface pro of some vintage, someday.
                          Recommended. I bought a new 1th gen Surface Pro (i5/128GB) a couple of years ago, and it's the most versatile computing device I own. I own 3 Android tablets and 5 or 6 (mostly i5's) laptops from the top 5 manufacturers in addition. If I were forced to scale down to one device, it would be the Surface Pro.

If I were to knock it down somewhat, it would be for the Type Cover 2 keyboard. If I had used it more regularly at one desk, I would have used some other (bluetooth) keyboard. I'm also tempted to the later gen Surface Pro, for the better than full HD displays and support for 4K externally.
                          ------------
                          Be a mensch

Comment

The day I posted the post saying I wasn't familiar with the Surface Pro, later that night I saw a commercial for one on the tele! I don't mean to hijack the thread here or anything but because it's related to the Surface Pro and we've been talking about it a bit, do you think that'd be a good Christmas present for my wife? She has a tablet that my dad gave her, some free gift that came with his cell phone (through Verizon). It's okay and everything but she uses it a lot!

Do they make any Surface Pro's that come with an i7, maybe socket 2011? Or would that be over kill and the i5 is more than enough?

Comment

A quick google search showed me the Surface Pro 4 does have an i7 option, but I don't see what socket it is. Back to googling some more!

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...FQqpaQod8u0AZA

Comment

They're BGA.
                                sigpic

Comment

They're BGA.
                                  Okay. Do you know what chipset it uses (ie, x79?)

Comment

Okay. Do you know what chipset it uses (ie, x79?)
                                    The Surface Pro 4? Whatever is the newest, it came out a month ago.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Surface Pro 4 teardown here. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Micr...Teardown/51568

Comment

Thank's Diif!

Comment

Has been a few years since this was posted. I have recently purchased a w101 v2 and am wondering if there has been any success getting the uefi to 64 bit? I would appreciate any help as I need to have 64 bit Windows on this ASAP. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X