CDI or Igniter box repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDI or Igniter box repair

Has anybody figured out a good way to remove the epoxy or whatever they use when they make a CDI or Igniter box so you can replace a faulty part inside? I have an old igniter from a motorcycle and from what I researched, the capacitor is what usually fails in them.
    Thanks,
    db
    Regards,
    db

Re: CDI or Igniter box repair

Remember when I used to live in Brisbane. A guy there was doing that with outboard CDI units which are very expensive. A good place to start would be a polyester resin (fibreglass) supplier. If they do not know, they might point you to a factory rep who could help.

Comment

i have heard dmso and lots of soaking works.
      lucky me didnt have to do that.
      ignitor for my gs1150 isnt potted.

Comment

Isn't DMSO pretty hazardous stuff? Or am I thinking of something else? Good tip on the fiberglass supplier (didn't think of that). I found a spare that was good on ebay so the bike is now running again but I still want to try to fix the old one for practice.
        Thanks,
        db
        Regards,
        db

Comment

Originally posted by dungbeetle
          Isn't DMSO pretty hazardous stuff? Or am I thinking of something else? Good tip on the fiberglass supplier (didn't think of that). I found a spare that was good on ebay so the bike is now running again but I still want to try to fix the old one for practice.
          Thanks,
          db
          Actually its relatively nonhazardous, the LD50 oral(rat) is ~17,000mg/kg. It used to be used as a massage aid for body builders. The only bad side to that is when it is absorbed through the skin it causes severe halitosis (bad breath), hence most stopped using it. Otherwise its not to bad, I don't use it too often as a solvent in MY lab because it typically rips my compounds to shreds.

MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for DMSO

Comment

Working...
          X