Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue ESR Meter "F6" Error

Hey everyone,

I have been trying to figure out this error. I have not been able to calibrate the unit, not getting anything from the test resistors. Running the self diagnostics give me the F6 error code. I have at this time de-soldered the components checked the resistors, and verified that everything has been put into place. Re-soldered the components listed under the F6 code. Maybe everyone here might be able to stop a misplaced component or point me to test some thing.

I have followed the leads on the board and tested with an ohm meter to see if there are any breaks, but non found. I have pictures located on my web site, you can view them here http://www.comshyft.com/ESRMeter/ . The I have the photos split up into two folders for the front and back side of the board.

I am just stuck at this point and I am trying to avoid the expense of sending it into Anatek. I was working with their tech support, who was stuck on solder whiskers or a bridged lead. After I posted the pictures and sent them a link they jumped to it can be troubleshooted. I figured I would check here with you guys and see what options I may have.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Blue ESR Meter "F6" Error

Did you put the calibration POTs in the right places?

They are two different values one for the low battery warning and the other for resistance calibration.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I have both of the POTs in their correct location. The 201 (middle right hand side) and the 103 (middle bottom side), both are in their center position. You should be able to see it in this picture http://www.comshyft.com/ESRMeter/fro...d/PICT0164.JPG.

Comment

You have R13 & R30 transposed.

R13 (100k) = brown black yellow
        R30 (100R) = brown black brown

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
        Bright antennae bristle with the energy

Comment

Thank you Radio Fox. I switched those resistors, great find, the unit now tests fine with ".8.8". Calibrated now and all is working. Thank you again.

Comment

Resistor problem yet again as I suspected .

If you have difficulty determining the color bands measure the resistor with a DMM to verify before installation.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Yes, I did use a DMM . I didn't pay attention to color bands and didn't know that there was a difference between 100R and 100K. But now that its worked out I will pay closer attention in the future. Great learning experience for me. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Why is the picture now missing? I wish you would upload to forum for future reference.
                veritas odium parit

Comment

The pictures are still on my site. I can upload to the form if you would like. Oh, the reason for the picture not linking correctly is the security I enabled in CPANEL to prevent bandwidth theft. If you go http://www.comshyft.com/ESRMeter/ you should be able to view all the files I uploaded I don't plan on taking them down anytime soon.

Front side of board: http://www.comshyft.com/ESRMeter/fro...%20of%20board/

Back side of board: http://www.comshyft.com/ESRMeter/bac...%20of%20board/

Comment

Missed the time I could edit the previous post. Here are two main photos of the back and front so they can live here. Images were reduced to fit image size, and file size limits.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Radio Fox
                      You have R13 & R30 transposed.

R13 (100k) = brown black yellow
                      R30 (100R) = brown black brown
                      Quick message for Radio Fox.... due to various reasons, for many weeks I haven't been looking closely at this forum or the one on the Anatek Corp website until today.

THANK YOU enormously for helping people to get their Blue ESR meters working. I really appreciate the effort you're making and your correct diagnoses of their problems. Also thanks to Krankshaft and others who've been making helpful suggestions. All much appreciated!

I'll try to pay more attention to these forums from now on.
                      Last edited by Bob Parker; 02-14-2010, 10:31 AM.
                      It is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Parker
                        Quick message for Radio Fox.... due to various reasons, for many weeks I haven't been looking closely at this forum or the one on the Anatek Corp website until today.

THANK YOU enormously for helping people to get their Blue ESR meters working. I really appreciate the effort you're making and your correct diagnoses of their problems. Also thanks to Krankshaft and others who've been making helpful suggestions. All much appreciated!

I'll try to pay more attention to these forums from now on.
                        Hi Bob. Thanks for the above post.

No doubt you've been thanked many times over the years, but I think this is the first time you have posted since I became a member. So can I just take the oppertunity to add my thanks for designing such a helpful piece of test gear. Cheers.

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
                        Bright antennae bristle with the energy

Comment

Originally posted by Radio Fox
                          Hi Bob. Thanks for the above post.

No doubt you've been thanked many times over the years, but I think this is the first time you have posted since I became a member. So can I just take the oppertunity to add my thanks for designing such a helpful piece of test gear. Cheers.
                          Hi again,

I only designed the ESR meter for doing my own repairs back in the 1990s. I'm amazed that it's become so well known in its various forms and I'm very happy that it's useful to you and others who are trying to track down those troublesome electrolytic capacitors.

Thanks,
                          Bob

Comment

For future reference 100R means 100 ohms, 100K (Kiloohms) means 100,000 ohms (one hundred thousand), and 100M (Megaohms) would be 100,000,000 ohms (one hundred million).

I love my ESR meter and scooped it up from Anatek right after it went back into production in 07.

Saved me alot of work on the first 27" CRT it fixed I tracked down about 20 under 100uf bad caps. No outward signs of failure but their ESR was high and they made the TVs micro go wonky.
                            Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM.

Comment

My meter doesn't zero out like it supposed to when I short the leads together. What may be wrong? Every is correctly in place.

Comment

It isn't automatic you are pressing the power button after shorting right?

Comment

Works now thanks.

Comment

No problem.

When the leads are shorted the power button zeroes the meter when they are apart it's a power button.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                                      No problem.

When the leads are shorted the power button zeroes the meter when they are apart it's a power button.
                                      That's a good explanation - thanks!

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                                        X