Magnavox 42MF437B/37 Blowing Fuses after "Professional" Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnavox 42MF437B/37 Blowing Fuses after "Professional" Repair

Background (feel free to skip this part): A few years ago my first HDTV, this 42" Magnavox, started to have sound problems. I would have to turn it off/on many times for it to get sound with the picture to work and finally one day it would not turn on at all. So I took the behemoth off the wall and down to my local professional TV repair guy. He called me the next day and said it needed new "caps" and if I remember it cost me about $250... Keep in mind this was several years ago. I knew nothing about bad caps and didn't have any equipment or the know how to do my own repairs. He gave me a 30 day warranty on the repair. Any guesses on how long the repair lasted?... it failed around 65 day mark. I was pissed to say the least. However at the time I had other issues to deal with so I just took it back off the wall and sat it in the closet. I found a new 47" at Sam's Club for $500 and that was that.
    Fast forward to this weekend when all of my tools and parts finally arrived so I could repair three old Samsung 204B monitors. They are heavy but 4:3 ration monitors are virtually non-existent now and I really like them. With $14 worth of new caps I was able to fix all three in an hour or so. One had other issues but the other two were fixed and back to perfect working order.
    I felt confident in my new skill of soldering and caps repair and suddenly I noticed that old 42" LCD in the closet and I pulled it out and removed the PSU, as that was what I was told last time was the issue.

Problem: The current PSU is 715T2432 (if that helps) and it looks like the professional tv repair guy replaced the 3 caps at the top and possibly the 450v one on the bottom left. Also the center right yellow thing (rectifier?) looks to have been repaired or replaced. The solder joints on it don't look consistent IMHO. When I last plugged this in about a year ago it was blowing the fuse.

However when I tried to remove it I destroyed the fuse and have no idea what it was or what I need to buy to replace it. I do know that it was blown. And from reading other posts about similar power supplies the suggestion is not to replace the fuse until you isolate the problem and repair it. Another suggestion is bad diodes. I've looked it over and don't see any brown or heat spots around any of the little black diodes but I have no other idea how to test them.

I will gladly plug in a power cord and read any voltages but that 450v capacitor scares the crap out of me. I have a decent INNOVA 3320 DMM to use (and I just spotted a diode test icon!). I'm assuming you test those diodes without power but again I'm completely new to diagnosing electronics.

The attached photos are of my workbench and the faulty PSU front and back.

Any help is appreciated and I hope to learn as much as possible from making this repair myself, if that is possible.
    Attached Files

Re: Magnavox 42MF437B/37 Blowing Fuses after "Professional" Repair

To check diodes with your meter in diode test you'll get a reading one way and if you reverse the probes you'll get OL. Do you know how to test mosfets? That would be where i would start.

Comment

I tried a few of them, assuming the grey stripe on one end is negative. It's hit or miss but I'm replacing the batteries in my DMM and trying again.

Are mosfets the transistors on the heatsinks? I don't know how to test them, please enlighten me :-)

Comment

It will probably say on the board what the fuse is. Picture is not really sharp enough for troubleshooting but I can see 250v and perhaps T5?
        If it is a T5 250v this is a slowblow 5 amp 250v fuse and it should be a ceramic variety.

Apparently there is a a repair kit that contains diodes ZD 902 and ZD904
        so test these also what is the component on the small heatsink DB904???? perhaps - cant read it.
        Last edited by selldoor; 11-25-2012, 12:20 PM.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

There are a lot of tests in this guide by retired caps -written originally for monitors
          the tests are good for anything- start at post19
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Thanks for the help so far!

@selldoor - I took another photo with more light and a close up on the fuse area.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
              It will probably say on the board what the fuse is. Picture is not really sharp enough for troubleshooting but I can see 250v and perhaps T5?
              If it is a T5 250v this is a slowblow 5 amp 250v fuse and it should be a ceramic variety.

Apparently there is a a repair kit that contains diodes ZD 902 and ZD904
              so test these also what is the component on the small heatsink DB904???? perhaps - cant read it.
              Just below the fuse it does read "T5.0AH 250V EC TYPE". I found a 5HT 5-R online for $.30ea.

The component at D901 is a diode, as per the icon underneath and also it has only two leads. I tested it with my DMM as well as ZD902 & ZD904; they all gave a reading other than zero.

Comment

Hi dont know where D901 is - I meant BD901 now that I can see it thanks.
                Fairly sure it is a bridge rectifier if it has shorted it does blow the fuse. Good news is it cheap to replace. Has it got + ~ ~ - markings on it?
                Not sure you are testing the diodes correctly - involves two readings read retiredcaps guide it is in there.

Comment

The common failure on this power supply is the pair of FETs on the heatsink in the center of the board. As you can see, yours is labeled with the part number of the FETs, W18NK80Z. If the fuse is blowing then these are most likely shorted. You will need to test the resistance across the three legs with a meter. These should be fairly easy to find as they are made by ST. The full number to search would be STW18NK80Z. It looks like you can buy them for about $8.75 a piece on ebay.
                  Last edited by rayrod81; 11-25-2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

@selldoor - I tested the various diodes again after reading retiredcaps instructions. They are all good. I'm not sure which component is the bridge rectifier you suggest, but if you can help me identify it I will try to test it.

@rayrod81 - I looked at those closely with a mag and it does look like they were replaced once, the solder joints on the bottom show signs of flux. However the one closest to the center isn't a W18... it's a W26NM60 and the one to its left is blank. Perhaps the last repair guy used the wrong thing or just took some old one's from another unit and they have gone bad again. I'm going to try and test them.

Thanks for the help so far. I hope we can narrow it down and put some life back in that 42" LCD.

Comment

I put a square around your bridge rectifier. You test it like a diode.
                      Pins 1-2 you should get a reading
                      Pins 2-1 (reversed) OL
                      Pins 3-2 OL
                      Pins 2-3 OL
                      Pins 3-4 Again, a reading
                      Pins 4-3 (reversed) OL
                      Attached Files

Comment

I tested the bridge rectifier and get a reading on 2-1 and 4-3 instead of OL, all other readings were as expected. Does that make sense?

Also I tried to test the mosfet's on the center heat sink but I'm not sure I did it correctly. The one near the center seems bad but I need to find another way to test them or just replace them both. To test the mosfet I put it in diode mode (my meter only puts out 1.5v so i used my solder stations power supply set to 3.5v to switch it on). I then tested in diode mode pins 2-3. The readings were inconsistent between the two mosfets, I was assuming they should be the same so one must be good and one bad? When I get back from dinner I will try again.

I'm assuming pins are left to right (top down) 1 2 3 4.

Is it normal for all three of these components to fail together?

Comment

You will want to test the resistance across the three legs of the FETs. Low resistance means the FET is bad.

Comment

If you have blown power MOSFET's, you should also check the IC that drives the Gate of the MOSFET's when MOSFET shorted out, it can take out the Gate drive circuits with it.
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by briankb View Post
                              I tested the bridge rectifier and get a reading on 2-1 and 4-3 instead of OL, all other readings were as expected. Does that make sense?
                              Your bridge is good. Depending on whether it was black probe on 1 and red on 2 makes the difference if you get your readings versus my example.

Also I tried to test the mosfet's on the center heat sink but I'm not sure I did it correctly.
                              Set your meter to ohms (Ω). If they have 3 pins then from left to right it'll be 1,2,3. You'll check it as follows:
                              1-2
                              2-3
                              1-3

Anything under 30 ohms is considered shorted. There might be other mosfets on your board. They are labeled Q on the board.

Comment

Thanks Mr Bill! I checked the FETs again and the left one is fine, all readings were above 1M ohm however the center most FET was bad. All of those readings were below 30.

mostfet readings:
                                1-2 = 1.5Ω
                                2-3 = 0Ω
                                1-3 = 1.4Ω

Also just to be clear on the bridge rectifier test I get a reading on 1-2 and 2-1, neither are OL. Same for 3-4 and 4-3.
                                1-2 (black-red) = .881v
                                1-2 (red-black) = .459v
                                3-4 (black-red) = .882v
                                3-4 (red-black) = .465v

I also tested the component (looks like a mosfet) at D922 (right) and legs 1-3 give 0Ω.

So what's the prescription I need to heal this thing?

I looked and the fet that rayrod81 suggested "W18NK80Z" is not available from DK but that's the only source I found. However the one that is in place now "W26NM60" is available for about $7. The specs for them are a little different but they are both N-Channel, Metal Oxide MOSFETs.

Comment

You probably should remove the bridge rectifier and test out of circuit. D922 is a diode and will test similar to the bridge rectifier. What mosfet is bad, W18 or W26?

Comment

W26 is what is in place now and it is bad. The W18 was a suggested part by rayrod earlier in this thread.

D922 looks like a mosfet it has 3 pins and same shape as the other two.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

D922 is a schottky diode. pins 1-2 & 2-1 will give you a reading and OL. The same for 2-3 & 3-2. You'll have your meter set to diode mode just like for the bridge.

Here is a youtube link on how to test a bridge rectifier.
                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqkT6hF0O3E

Comment

Thanks for explaining the D922 diode :-)

I'm about to pull the bridge rectifier and test it again.

Comment

Working...
                                        X