Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

27 years old Brandt TV

Hello,

Our 27 years old Brandt television doesn't work anymore. I really want to repair it, it's our childhood TV and it had a nice image for video games. I have some vintage game consoles I want to try as well.
    The last time it worked, it was getting harder and harder to start the TV. I had to turn it on, turn it on, and so on until the screen lit up.
    Now when I turn it on, the power light will come on, but changing channels won't do anything.

The TV has been stored for a couple years in an uninsulated building, so it may have damaged the lytics capacitors.

While testing the TV a few weeks ago, something burnt inside and a smoke came out leaving a pretty bad fish smell in the room. After closer inspection, it appears to be a plastic capacitor on the power supply board. I've replaced it with one of the same specs from a working computer power supply, with no change.

I've replaced most of the control panel capacitors with no change. They all looked good.

There are still many big lytics on the mainboard in unknown condition, do you think changing them could solve the problem ?
    Could it be something else ?

Most of them are Tosin and Philips caps.

Thanks !

Re: 27 years old Brandt TV

Take the model number and cruise the WEB for problems noted. I have used Google or Yahoo groups alt.electronic.repair or similar to fish around for problems. I would also try to get a schematic. The symptoms you describe are common to power supply problems caused by failed solid state components and capacitors getting out of spec, taking IC's along for the ride. The old CTC series by RCA/GE/xx had a standby system that had a smart chip, well sort of, that would sense problems, and either try 3 times and shut down, or not even try when things were out of tolerance. There were about 4 caps that were the common culprits that failed over time. They caused the standby voltages to be incorrect, and the TV wouldn't start, made chirping noises, and several other symptoms. I *imagine* that there are a lot of TV sets that use similar componentry and designs for their standby[to run the remote control receiver, etc] power supply, and the switched mode power supply for the operation of the rest of the set.
    tom

Comment

Working...
    X