Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rasurbo RBP-450CL power supply's erratic behaviour

Hi,

I was surprised to see that the brand Rasurbo hasn't been mentioned even once on this forum.

Well, in May 2009, I was dumb enough to buy two Rasurbo Basic & Power RBP-450CL units (for 22 EUR each). It seems they were manufactured already in 2006.

As it turns out, I didn't need these Rasurbos until about half a year ago, when a couple of my old PSUs died. Now, after only a few months of relatively light use, it has become troublesome to get the Rasurbos up and running; one might have to press the computer's power button about a dozen times until the Rasurbos finally agree to keep running (I'm sure the hard disks really appreciate this), instead of powering off after only a second or two ...

Once you get the computers up and running, there usually won't be any stability issues nor any other apparent problems for days. Isn't that a bit surprising?

I've now taken a closer look at one of the Rasurbos and found six quite obviously damaged green 1000uF 6.3V Teapo caps. The one right next to the large 15 Ohm resistor near the purple 5VSB wire has almost turned black, presumably because of excessive heat (the PCB looks a bit burned there, too).

Please take a look at the attached pictures. Is this a very badly and cheaply designed PSU?

Cap brands, capacitances and voltage ratings:

- C34, C33, C25, C28, C26, C27: Teapo 1000uF 6.3V (green).
    - C20, C21: CapXon 470uF 200V (dark purple).
    - C12: Su'scon 1uF 50V (black).
    - C14, C48: Teapo 4.7uF 50V (brown).
    - C31, C39: Teapo 10uF 50V (brown).
    - C41: Teapo 22uF 25V (brown).
    - C22: Teapo 470uF 16V (brown).
    - C23: Teapo 1000uF 16V (black).

All caps except the six green Teapos appear to be in good condition, but I guess you never know, with brands like Teapo, Su'scon and CapXon ...

Would you expect this PSU to work like new after a recap job or could there be other problems as well? Why is the above mentioned resistor getting so hot?

If I decide to recap this unit, should I replace *all* caps? It's not too likely that the caps with capacitance 22uF or below are ever going to fail, is it...?

I have already successfully recapped three motherboards (QDI WinneX 3, Asus K8N-E, Epox EP-8KDA3J), so this PSU would obviously be a quick and easy job.

I did a bit of googling and it seems some of the newer Rasurbo PSUs have been getting some pretty good reviews. Hopefully the reviewers know what they're talking about...
    Attached Files

Re: Rasurbo RBP-450CL power supply's erratic behaviour

Hi, welcome to the forums.
    Please complete the user´s details with your location, so we know where in the world you are from.

Seems a cheap 250W PSU to me. Don´t know the prices of good ones in your area, though.
    For some machine that is not power hungry, I believe after a good recap it would work acceptable, like a L&C 350 would. You could try using good caps and populating the missing inductors to reduce the ripple a little also.

Comment

It's a gutless wonder. Ive seen worse, but not much worse. On the positive side, it has got input filtering, i guess that is a start. It also has the horrible 4 diodes used as the input rectifier, but i would not worry about that just yet. If the max your going to pull is 300w, you can leave them be. All the capacitors must be replaced, including the 22uf one, as they can fail too. The 22uf cap is probably also used for the 5vsb, which if that fails, the voltage will spike and kill the motherboard. Replace all the caps with panny fc
      or something similar. You can probably leave the primary caps in there for now. I wouldn't trust it on anything better than a celeron.

Comment

The startup cap could probably be failing as well, that would explain the startup problems you are having.

Comment

The darkening of the PCB around that 5VSB resistor is concerning...

Comment

Are there MOVs to protect the two big I/P lytics? With those wimpy heatsinks and that smallish O/P inductor, that fan better make that P/S hover! 250W-300W looks like a realistic limit. Where power is concerneed, heavy metal is the way to go!
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

That brand name sounds more off the wall than (Beep! Beep!) Achme!
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

That's an utter POS!

I have a CoolMax V400 PSU sitting around that looks better than that!

At least that CoolMax sitting around don't have the dreaded 4-diode setup.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Yeah, it looks like that 5vsb resistor has got pretty hot. I would not plug it into a motherboard until you have checked the voltages.

Comment

That PSU's so low end that I'm kind of surprised it has Teapo caps.

They usually have "CS" or "Rulycon" junk.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

You never know, they could be fake teapos!

Comment

Remove the resistor next to the 5vsb cap. It's only there to provide a 'dummy' load. It will cook your replacment caps.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

You should put output coils and replace the 1000uF caps with 1500uF / 2200uF. The ripple must be terrible now..

Comment

Originally posted by mcdaydavies View Post
                            You never know, they could be fake teapos!
                            Why bother faking Teapos... the real ones are bad enough!
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Going by "ATX-250L" model on the PCB I think this is the OEM:
                              http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/44...er_supply.html

Efficiency: 72%

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                Why bother faking Teapos... the real ones are bad enough!
                                I've got some! Not the Teapo vent though... looks like they're made by whoever makes "Rifeking" from the vent.

Comment

• MTBF:80k hours at 25°C

What, is that sitting on the shelf, unplugged?
                                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Just had a thought, might be worthwhile increasing the capacitance of those secondary caps.

Comment

[QUOTE= It also has the horrible 4 diodes used as the input rectifier, but i would .[/QUOTE]

I've seen lots of people bitch about the 4 diode desigen. Could someone please tell what is wrong with the 4 diode design ??????
                                      As far as i know it does the same as a rectifier.

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
                                        Going by "ATX-250L" model on the PCB I think this is the OEM:
                                        http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/44...er_supply.html

I like the metallic purple "P4-450W" power supply they have in their picture with other power supply models.
                                        My gaming PC:
                                        AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                                        ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                                        PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                                        G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                                        TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                                        WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                                        ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                                        Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                                        Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                                        Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                                        Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                                        X