Vizio P-Series 4K tv with temporary sound and no picture P652ui-B2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio P-Series 4K tv with temporary sound and no picture P652ui-B2

Thanks for the feedback on this, Sully. Can I ask if you’re basing this on the .94 reading I got off of the dismounted cap, or on some other experience/ knowledge you have?

I’m still waiting for the main board to arrive in the mail, but have been leaning toward the 1uF cap solution as well.

[I also decided a couple days ago to order a capacitance meter, but since it’s coming from Hong Kong it might not get here for another 10-20 days. The other helpful piece of this puzzle is that there is a “quasi-mirror image” cap on the other side of the set that I’m almost 100% sure is the “match” for C114. But, I don’t want to take that SMD off the board to measure its value unless I absolutely have to. Is there a way to get any kind of accurate reading of capacitance without removing these SMD’s, either with a regular Digital Multimeter or (more realistically) with the capacitance meter itself when it arrives in December?]
    Last edited by kca; 11-29-2018, 09:28 PM.

Comment

KCA,

You might be lucky and have noting what so ever in parallel with that capacitor, and be able to measure the capacitance while in circuit, however I 99% doubt nothing is in parallel with it. You most likely can install your new main without replacing the cap and still get picture. A lot of these circuit boards have redundancies, but yes based on the fact that you got .94 reading off the original. Most components for low grade electronics such as TV's have a 5% tolerance out of the factory, so if its between 0.95 and 1.05 its good enough to work in your set. You might have gotten .94 because the measuring tool used was slightly inaccurate, and or simply because the cap is a few years old, or a bit of both.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Sully.

I'll go with the 1uF then and monitor the outcome closely. Good to know that it might even work without a cap in place, just for future knowledge.

Appreciate it. Have a great day!

~ kca

Comment

I'm thinking bad panel. I see a lot of bad panels in the P series Vizio's which sucks because you pay more for them and then they put shit panels in them. Especially the P-502Ui-B2 and the P602Ui-B2. We had a Vizio P652Ui-B2 in last week and same problem...bad panel....what a joke Vizio oh ohhhhhh...pitiful...Lucky to get 2 years out of them. The Mexico plant is spewing out tons of them...pure crap.

Comment

KCA we just got another P652ui-B2 walk into the shop today, and sure enough same symptoms as yours. What sully stated is all correct however. I wouldn't worry about that cap to much. Let the community know how your new main board instal goes. We shall do the same.

Comment

Thanks, Nick. I certainly will. My board delivery was delayed so I’m hoping to get it tonight or Monday at the latest.

Have you ever experienced what brucetv just described? Meaning, with the 65” P652ui-B2 model, specifically, has it ever turned out to be a bad panel when it’s displaying my same symptoms (especially the half-picture)? Just trying to reason whether a bad panel on this particular set can actually result in only half the picture arriving on screen. Seems like a bad panel would more likely affect the entire screen, or a more defined segment of the overall screen (as opposed to half and half).

(Same question for you, bruce, if you read this over. Thanks.)

~ kca
              Last edited by kca; 12-01-2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

So far no we have not, but then again we see a lot more of the 50" and 55"version than the 65". I don't think we have enough data to really confirm anything but I don't think so.

Comment

Thanks, Nick. The main board should be in tomorrow (Monday) and I'll update this discussion board with the results.

I'm going to put the 1uF cap in on the lower panel as the initial try. It sounds like the 2.2 uF would probably work as well, but since the old one is reading .94 I'm going to speculate that it was and is a 1uF.

Comment

Well, I got the new main board and put it in but it did not work. In fact, it's quite a bit worse than the original one because now I can't get any video to appear at all and there is no sound either. It does cycle on and off every minute or two, just like before, but nothing else.

It did not help that the board was damaged during shipping, with the upper heat shield bent and, to an extent, broken. But, I simply replaced this with the one from the original and so that was not what I considered a determining factor. Also, one of the aluminum caps was broken off but I just soldered that back into its correct place. Neither one of these things caused the board to go bad, I do not think, but who knows what other components might have been damaged during shipping or not working correctly when it left their distribution center?

So, I put the original back in and got the same results I've been seeing for about 3 weeks. Nothing changed. Having determined that, I put the new one back in a 2nd time and it continues to show no picture at all and no audio whatsoever. Very frustrating.

Hard to tell where that leaves me. If the new main board is indeed bad, there still remains the possibility that it is the only thing that is wrong.

Within the last couple hours, and with the new main board still in, I disconnected everything from the main board except the power from the PSU, and nothing changed. I'd like to say that the continued cycling on and off I still get in this scenario indicates that the main board is indeed bad and therefore the culprit, but it's still very difficult to tell if the cycling on and off also occurs simply because I have disconnected the other boards in this particular experiment (meaning, I disconnected Main Board to T-Con, Main Board to LED Driver Board, and even the Power Supply to LED Driver Board). The same thing happens with the original main board in place in terms of the recurring cycling on and off with all other boards disconnected.

Hope that's enough information for someone to make a further suggestion or suggestions. I'll likely be returning this new main board soon, but I'm going to keep it for another week or two to try to troubleshoot it or troubleshoot the original main board by comparing it to the new one. I should be getting my new capacitance meter soon, so that might help track down any problems or anomalies with the aluminum caps found on these main boards.

I suppose I could order a new LED Driver Board and give that a try. Since a new T-Con a few weeks ago did not change anything, and the new Main Board made things even worse, maybe the replacement of the LED Driver Board will provide a clue or even fix the cycling on and off part of the issue.

It seems to me that I have to track down the fault that is causing this constant power cycling and then deal with the 1/2 picture as a second, or secondary, issue. Perhaps they are one and the same issue, but the only two things left that might allow for that are the:

1) Ribbon cables going from the Main Board to the T-Con (especially the one that causes the defective 1/2 picture)

OR

2) A fault that lies "below" the T-Con and resides on the lower panel board or boards (there are two).

..... but both of these scenarios seem unlikely because the cycling is still occurring when these ribbon cables and everything below them (T-Con and lower panel boards) are DISCONNECTED and therefore functionally out of play.

Nick ~ Since you have so much experience with these, maybe you can educate me a little further on what the power cycling on and off can most likely be attributed to. I would really like to solve that element of this puzzle. Or, anyone else, of course.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

~ kca
                    Last edited by kca; 12-06-2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Just wondering if anyone out there has any more ideas on this Vizio P652ui-B2 and how it continues to cycle on and off.

My last post details where I still am with it.

Is the cycling on and off resolvable independent of the 1/2 picture? In other words, is something causing the cycling on/off ...... and something else the root cause of the 1/2 picture?

Or, will they both be solved by tracking down and fixing a singular component (or whole board, if necessary)?

Comment

Hey Nick ~

Wondering what would be involved if I were to send the board to you for diagnosis and repair? What are the costs involved?

I'm not completely convinced that the core problem is the main board, but it is still the most likely suspect and the board I got from this retailer a couple of weeks ago has not worked at all and is therefore rather useless in my own assessment of the issues going on here. So, I'll be sending that one back for a refund. But I am contemplating sending my original one to you.

Do I just pay the shipping cost to get it to you and then pay you only if you find it is defective? Do I owe you anything if you find it is not defective? Please fill me in on what I need to know in relation to this path and then I'll be able to decide what the best course of action is.

Thanks ~

kca

Comment

Working on it a bit again this morning, and something just happened that I do not believe has ever happened before. With the original Main Board back in (because I am getting nothing productive from the replacement Main Board), the backlights lit up not only once but twice in relative succession. Came one for about a minute, then went off for about 4 or 5 minutes, then came back on AGAIN.

I don't think this has ever occurred in the past without my having to unplug the AC power in between "lightings".

Also, the entire screen was flickering rather wildly upon the second lighting of the LED's. I think that did happen briefly once before about two weeks ago. Not sure what that is all about.

When the LED's were on today, I quickly measured the voltages on the Main Board connectors (see pictures below) where they head out to the large, white ribbon cables and then down to the T-Con, and I was also able to measure the T-Con connectors where these same large, white ribbon cables enter.

As expected, when the correct picture appears on the left side of the screen the voltage is present on that particular large, white cable BOTH at the Main Board Connector and the subsequent T-Con connector. It read 11.7. Pretty sure it's a 12v line so that was okay. Of course, it almost had to be in order to produce the 1/2 picture that is, essentially, flawless.

Note: There are correct voltages coming off of the Power Supply Unit and heading into the LED Driver Board, so those two do not appear to be related to the problem in any way, shape or form.

Now, here's the telltale sign:

The other large, white ribbon cable and its two connectors did not have any such 11.7 reading, again as expected. But what pretty much gives this scenario away is that even though all of the LED lights across the entire set lit up, there is NO VOLTAGE READING on ANY OF THE CONNECTOR PINS on the MAIN BOARD where that silver connector leads out to the T-Con.

So, in short (no pun intended), I think that pretty much proves once and for all that the problem lies within the Main Board itself and, in particular, only with the circuitry that leads to and controls the upper, silver connector. Because there is no voltage being applied there, no signal is being sent to the T-Con. This, of course, produces the 1/2 screen of white, pink and green fuzz.

All of this is what I reasoned a couple weeks ago, with the help and advice of Nick from Nick's TV. The replacement board was supposed to remedy all of this. But, as you might suspect from all of my previous posts, when I ran the same silver connector voltage tests on this board this morning as confirmation, I get NOTHING on the voltage reads on either silver connector. Keep in mind that this replacement board does not produce the LED lights at all (have tried it over 40 or 50 times), and so it has a fault that precedes the large, white ribbon connectors. Hence, no voltage ever gets to either of these connectors (apparently) and no picture is ever produced .... and that's why I am sending it back for the refund.

~~~~~~~~~

In summary, when the LED's do light up and the original Main Board is in, there are correct voltage readings on ONLY the Main Board and T-Con Board connectors that control the good 1/2 of the picture.

The key point is that even though these LED's are fully lit, the other silver connector on the Main Board (the upper one) reads NO VOLTAGE. Therefore, it's pretty safe to conclude that the Main Board is faulty.

The only other possible (and very slight) explanation I can think of is that the T-con is faulty ~ only on its left-hand side ~ and is somehow sending a signal in backward fashion to that particular silver upper Main Board connector and denying a voltage reading there. I really don't think that is even possible, but someone can correct me if I am wrong.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by kca; 12-18-2018, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Fixed it.

Ended up baking the Main Board in the oven at 380 degrees for 10 minutes. As a result, the set displayed an entirely full picture and all the LED stayed on for as long as the set was powered on. Hours and hours of trouble-free operation. No more cycling on and off. No more 1/2 picture.

Like brand new.

If you are having issues similar to the ones I have outlined in this thread, bake the board (which reflows all of the solder in a uniform manner) and your problem(s) will very likely be resolved.

~ kca
                            Last edited by kca; 01-13-2019, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Ok, so looks like tvpartstoday sold you a bad mainboard, don't think I'll be doing business with them if they are selling junk represented as good.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't say they are off of my list. They are very cooperative folks and have been willing to work with me on every count. So far so good. This particular board may have been damaged in the shipping process. It wasn't bubble wrapped well and the heat sink that extends over the sides of the boards should have been taken off and wrapped separately. I let them know about this. They are refunding my monies for this board, although I am going to have to contact them tomorrow and see why it hasn't been processed quite yet. I sent it back to them on December 22nd.

Comment

yeah so.. I had this same exact issue. I ended up replacing all four boards (PSU, Mainboard, LED Driver and Tcon and still no luck. I was furious and threw that mf'in mainboard in the oven at 380 for 10 min and then cooled it, installed it and the damn thing worked. Incredible.

Comment

@weebles, looks like somebody sold you a bad mainboard too, hope you got a refund.

Comment

I have a Vizio 50" P502ui-B1E with the same symptoms as the OP. I bought this TV brand new in 6/2015 for $750 (HD TV's were just coming out at that time and were kind of expensive). So almost exactly 5 years went by before it crapped out. I was on my PC a couple days ago and the screen went flakey with nothing but multicolored very thin vertical lines all the way across the screen and then about a minute later the screen just went black. I watched a ShopJimmy Youtube video on how to check the power supply standby voltage and checked the voltage and it showed no voltage at the standby pin. But, looking at the mainboard connector and the standby pin, there was no wire coming into the back of the connector where the stanby pin is on the other side. Confusing. The two red wires adjacent to the standby pin both read 12v like they're supposed to, but.. not wire going to the standby pin.

Anyway, since I got no voltage at the standby pin (cause there's no freakin wire going to it I guess) both with the mainboard connector plugged in AND with it unplugged, I figured I had a bad power supply like the ShopJimmy video said. So, I was all set to order a PS with one in the shopping cart and everything but I kept thinking about how some people on youtube that had cooked their mainboard to fix it were getting sound but a just a blank screen. I didn't know if if mine was still outputting sound really as the thing crapped out when I was on my PC and I wasn't doing anything on the computer that made sound. So I figured I better check to see if I had sound and low and behold it was outputting sound. But kind of like intermitantly like the OP's symptoms. Actually exactly like the OP's problem.

Well I read this whole thread for like 2 hours. Every post for like 7 pages to see how he fixed it. Get all the way to the end and he says he cooked the mainboard like the people in the Youtube videos. So the thing wasn't working anyway so what did I have to loose. I cooked the mainboard at 400 degrees for 11 minutes. Everybody says 10 minutes and but one guy said 12 minutes so I went in between. Well it fixed the TV haha. I'm typing on my PC right now with the Vizio P502ui-B1E as my monitor. It re-flowed the solder and reconnected whatever solder connection had cracked. Fixed for absolutely free. Can't get any better than that.

I hope it lasts a long time. If it doesn't at least I know what's wrong with the TV and that I need to get a mainboard for it and I won't have to do a bunch of troubleshooting. Just hope I wind up buying one that's not bad like so many other people do. Bunch of crooks selling those bad boards I guess.

I got an old Xbox 360 that got RRD about 8 years ago that's just been sitting there. We bought that thing like back in 2005 or something. Tons of people everywhere said they cooked the board on those consoles back then and it fixed it but I was always super skeptical. I think I might take that thing apart and cook it and see if it fixes that old thing. I got tons of games for it.

Oh yeah one other thing I wanna mention. I had a real hard time getting the ribbon cable stay out of the connector to get the cable out on the mainboard. It seemed like it was glued in there or something. The thing actually broke apart and I had to get my supermagifying head rig on and pick all the pieces outta the connector with an exacto knife being super carefull not to bend any of the pins. But it still screwed up about four leads on one side of the ribbon cable pulling the cable out with the broken stay up in there. So then I had to cut about a mm or so off the end of the ribbon cable to get solid leads again. But then, I didn't have another plastic stay to wedge back into the connector to clamp the cable down cause the original got all busted up. So I used the stay outta the unused connector right beside it. But it wasn't as long as the original one but I evened it up as best I could and jammed it in there and so it's working ok cause the TV is up and running. So, I think I know how some of those ribbon cables got messed up like the OP was dealing with.

Comment

Two hours, but it was a fascinating read yes?!?

Glad the post helped you to fix yours. Is it still up and running?

~ kca

Comment

Curious if the OP's unit is still functioning. I do microsoldering and motherboard repair on other devices as my profession. Have repaired many TVs but this one had me stumped. I know “baking” boards has served as a temporary fix for different mobo's in the past but most of those repairs were short lived. I currently have a p602ui-b3 with the same symptoms. I've replaced a few bad caps on the power supply but still no picture just a blinking light. Mobo's Optical port is lit up during the power cycles and the original owner stated that half of the screen went white/fuzzy and shortly after the unit powered off. I get the fading power light followed by 16 blinks. Same as the OP. Just trying to bring this thing back to life but as others have found there isn't much info on these models out there.

Comment

Working...
                                          X