Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UE43J5500AK picture issue

Evening all,

I've had this Samsung TV thrust upon me and I wonder if you guys could point me in the right direction.

Here's a photo of the issue. Is it likely to be a TCON issue? Here in the UK I can likely pick a new one up for £20 so I'd be tempted to do that rather than attempt a repair. I'll be disassembling it tomorrow to check the TCON part number if it's needed.

Any help / comment / pointers appreciated. I'm always keen to learn.

Cheers, Fuus

Re: Samsung UE43J5500AK picture issue

Tcon , dirty connections , liquid damage, compnent failure on driver boards, mainboard . could get expensive and lengthy .
    I rember seeing a tv like this and it was bad components on driver boards. He still repaied the tv !
    Last edited by bman4; 11-13-2018, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Not exactly the news I wanted but there we are!

So just to confirm almost certainly not a damaged panel? As if that's dead I might as well give up now
      Last edited by fuus; 11-13-2018, 02:59 AM.

Comment

So I've been doing some more fiddling this morning to try and narrow down the issue. My electrical skills aren't the best, but I've been approaching it from more of a logical stand point...

1) When the TV starts up the picture issues aren't present immediately:

but by about 5 seconds later the defect has appeared

2) There is one line of pixels on the screen that seems to be receiving the wrong data? See how you can see part of the N in No twice? Could this relate to panel tab issues?

3) When I unplug half the screen from the TCON it looks like this. It appears the colour on the unplugged half isn't uniform. Could this mean it's a panel tab issue? Hopefully not, but if so I'd appreciate some links to guides / similar threads

4) If my TCON does need to be replaced, which serial number do I need to match?

Any pointers or guidance gratefully recieved
        Cheers, Fuus

Comment

I believe that since part of the picture (the top) is correct, the Main Board and T-Con are good. I expect that the problem is with the panel, but repairable for FREE, so do not despair! The first step is to run the TV with one of the flat ribbon cables that go between the T-Con and the bottom panel edge boards disconnected. First try with the left one disconnected, and then with the right one disconnected. The results of this will lead you to the next step. Be very careful and post resulting pictures of the screen.

Comment

I must have been composing my post at the same time as you. Need to try with the other side disconnected.

Comment

Cheers Charleyd, will swap the cables over now!

Comment

Unplugged cables swapped. Basically a mirror image

Note the smart hub menu thing was just minimising itself, that's the reason it's half of screen
                Last edited by fuus; 11-13-2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I cannot say that see a clear indication of a problem with the side tabs. I looked on eBay for T-Cons, and I do see a T-Con that I believe is a match in the UK for cheap.

Comment

So you think the next step is to replace the TCON to rule it out?

This one perhaps? Which model number is it I need to match?

Thank you

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-CON-LVD...frcectupt=true

Comment

I'm no expert, but that would be my next step, and not too costly to try. The T-Con was bman4's first suggestion. The link you have looks good to me.

Comment

Ok, if there's no disagreement before tomorrow I'll get one ordered and see how I get on. Cheers Charleyd and bman4!

Comment

NO! Don't buy... it's surely bad panel. First your "half tcon disconneted" test it's useless unless you decide to put a video input on the tv (lol, it's so difficult?)
                          From the tcon image i see that your is a panel almost surely without side tabs, i'm fighting with at least the same situation, different tv brand, same panel brand, the side tab strip down it's not possible, you can diminishing much the defect down to an at least not so bad visible tv, but for the ones that needs the perfection, i haven't found the answer already at now..

Comment

Hi Davi,

What is the method for diminishing the defect?

I will take some pictures with a video input tomorrow, sorry for my mistake.

Comment

Since from your tests i suspect wrong gate drivers on both sides, i need the better test to evaluate.. if confirmed both you can't do anything to save it. At maximum you can sell the boards..
                              Last edited by Davi.p; 11-13-2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Actually this looks like my.samsung and it was a side driver tab. it would shut the pic off eventually . i hope.you have side drivers they might be built in the bottom.ones . feel.the frame for excessive heat,this will tell whaT driver is shot and what side to.cut. you can possibly.use a thermal camera or temp.gun to.find the heat. Idk if they all sort hot tho
                                Last edited by bman4; 11-13-2018, 05:49 PM.

Comment

The model is a 5 series. I suspect other 5 series models will have very similar characteristics to reduce development costs on the smart features and the like

Comment

Good afternoon all! (or morning for those the other side of the pond!)
                                    Please find attached pictures of half the TCON detached with video playing. As you can see the issue still prevails.

Any further advice appreciated.

Cheers
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Only way I know to confirm a bad tab bond is strip it down and apply a little pressure to tab bonds, see if it clears up if it does a shim might work.

Comment

Demonstration with a sony. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCExlSnG4yY

Comment

Working...
                                        X