recapped wrong cap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recapped wrong cap.

i recapped 1 wrong cap on my motherboard.
    the original cap was 470uf 16v.
    i recapped it with a 1000uf 6.3v. i try power up the sys can work , will there be any major problem in long run?

thank for all help.

Re: recapped wrong cap.

here my problem in detail.

i got a mix-up and i recapped 1 wrong cap on my motherboard.

i did a replacement of all the Teapo caps on my old msi board. there total 17 caps. i over-look because all of them look alike and almost all are 1000uf 6.3v. except 1 is a 470uf 16v.

if the original cap was 470uf 16v and i recapped it with a 1000uf 6.3v(the sys able to power up) will there be any major problem in long run?

or if the original cap is a 1000uf 6.3v and i recap it with a 470uf 16v, will there be a problem?

thank for all help.

Comment

Seeing as the replacement cap is rated at a lower voltage than the original, I'd say it's a candidate for premature failure. The board is probably trying to put around 16v into it, and as the cap can only support 6.3v - it may well blow.

The other way round, it's not too bad - the cap would be running on a lower voltage than it was designed for, but that shouldn't damage it.

In any case, your best solution would be to get hold of a cap that's rated the same as the original cap, and put that on the board instead of the 6.3v cap.
      You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Originally posted by hon
        if the original cap was 470uf 16v and i recapped it with a 1000uf 6.3v(the sys able to power up) will there be any major problem in long run?
        Yes, the manufacturer's original choice of 16v is probably because that cap will be subject to as much as 12v potential, directly from the PSU's 12vdc line. A 6.3v cap in that situation will not operate correctly at all, and will likely be venting its contents before long.
        Originally posted by hon
        or if the original cap is a 1000uf 6.3v and i recap it with a 470uf 16v, will there be a problem?
        Not a problem voltagewise, but you will have reduced the capacitance by more than 50%, which is unlikely to do much good... where is this cap located anyway?

Comment

Measure the voltage on the cap. If it's 12V, change it to 16V. If it's 5V (or lower), keep it. The 16V rating on the cap might be used also because it was the lowest available for 470uF.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
            Measure the voltage on the cap. If it's 12V, change it to 16V. If it's 5V (or lower), keep it. The 16V rating on the cap might be used also because it was the lowest available for 470uF.
            i see lots of 16v caps used where a 6.3 would do.
            easy test is to hook your vom to +12 on the atx connector in continuity beep mode and probe the + side of each cap.with the board disconnected from the psu of course.
            if none beep call it safe to run.

Comment

recap the board becuase 1 of the 1000uf 6.3v Teapo leaked.

Thanks Tom41, tiresias, Rainbow and kc8adu for the great help.

Able to get hold of a same model board and located the wrong recapped cap.
              Its was behide the PS/2 port (the green cap 470uf 16v), next to a bigger brown 1500uf 16v KZG.

After I recapped the wrong cap, I did power up the system for about 5mins for a test run (sys running without problem) before i realize the mistake and change it back.

My questions
              1) Will there be any damage to the motherboard during the few mins power up as a wrong cap was use? (should be 470uf 16v but capped a 1000uf 6.3v)

2) Is the wrong caped cap damage during the few mins power up?
              Should I throw it away or still can keep it as spare? (can get a voltmeter to test it rite? but I got to get someone for help)

I know What's done cannot be undone(if the board damage) but these are some questions which I like to know and learn for my mistake.
              I be double careful for my next recap job.

Really thank everyone for all the great help as my knowledge to all these are limited.
              Last edited by hon; 07-21-2006, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Hon,

Would be dame cool if u can show ur solder contacts.
                6.3V 1000mf in place of 16V 470mf should be no problem because most asus boards use 1000 mf 6.3V. U should be fine.

Don't fix something if it ain't broken.
                Last edited by nsx29; 07-21-2006, 02:28 AM.

Comment

hi, nsx29..nice to meet you.
                  solder contacts? do you mean my 'solder job' at back of board?
                  too bad...i had installed everything back into the casing.
                  maybe the next job i will post them (if there any)

took me an hour to replace all the 17, tiring + fun job and was happy when i see the sys able to power up and running without error.

Comment

That's ok. Hope u nvr have to recap one again. Venting caps are very annoying especially when it happens during school year.

Comment

that small caps is for usb or serial/paralel port it's not necessary to use 16v rate replacement.

filtering caps for fan header (12v)wont be no more than 47-100uF. filtering caps for 12v vrm input would be 1500uF or higher (~3300uF). 470uF caps usually found between pci slot, ide slot, legacy port <- there are 3.3v or 5v area.

but cmiiw.
                      days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

1) Will there be any damage to the motherboard during the few mins power up as a wrong cap was use? (should be 470uf 16v but capped a 1000uf 6.3v)
                        Yes, that's why if u uncertain, always measure the locaton with DMM.

2) Is the wrong caped cap damage during the few mins power up?
                        Should I throw it away or still can keep it as spare? (can get a voltmeter to test it rite? but I got to get someone for help)
                        Yes, if it is actually wrong cap that placed in wrong place. Never use it again.
                        The answer is simple, just measure what is the voltage in the original place that the cap was placed. If like what i said it's not a 12v area, the caps you just thought wrongly placed are probably still good, except the excessive heat from soldering iron kill it. The trick KC8 said is also useful and smart, i never have thought about it
                        days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
                          What if the average voltage is low enough but there are also much higher voltage spikes? I had a PSU with 1uF 16V caps that were exposed to 50V spikes.

Comment

Yes, that's possible for PSU. But not for motherboard.

Comment

Working...
                            X