Please help me to identify these caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me to identify these caps

Who is the producer of the red/brown 3300 uF caps on the photo? Are they suitable for motherboard applications? It's a Shuttle AV11 that has been unsuccessfully recapped. Will try to get it working again.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by willawake; 05-27-2005, 01:00 PM.

they appear to be United Chemi-con KMG series.

They are used by several board manufacturers. Whether they are suitable for motherboard applications, the chemi-con series chart indicates that they are not the best choice as it indicates they are standard series. KY, KZE, KLH, KZG, KZH are better choices as they are low esr.

Last edited by willawake; 05-18-2005, 05:34 AM.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Thanks a lot. Then it's not the fault of the capacitors probably... Need to do some further research...

Comment

i don't think it is suitable for your purpose. the kmg series has lower ripple current than the other low impedance series or from the competitor...

again, i'm sorry for including my chart. at 2200uf 16v it has only about 900 ma ripple current... 2 times lower than the others that has about 1500ma or higher...

Attached Files
        days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

it also has the higher esr, about 0.166 ohm. willawake has said that it is not a better choice, and in my opinion it is not even the choice for the purpose..

Comment

dont be sorry for including the chart.
            good job!

Comment

again, i'm sorry for including my chart
              why are you sorry Yanz? you are doing a great job. we need someone to collect this data.

in my opinion it is not even the choice for the purpose
              it is very bad then that the following manufacturers chose to use the United Chemicon KMG (NON low esr caps) on their boards :

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
              DFI nF4 SLI-DR

Comment

So it is still worth of trying to replace the caps with known good ones as the first step?

Comment

Hi yanz,

Under availability in your chart: does this mean that you can obtain them in your local area? Given the cheap prices you have quoted in the past, I was even considering placing an order with you!

BTW, is that a Kaspersky bug you are holding? Dude, crush it!

Comment

So it is still worth of trying to replace the caps with known good ones as the first step?
                    you should still get a post even with standard caps. You said the board has been unsuccessfully recapped, I understand that job was done by someone else. There are two worst case scenarios :

1. other components of the board sustained a failure when the original caps failed.

2. the person recapped the board badly and has damaged a trace or lead port etc........

this is assuming that all the caps on the board have been replaced with new.

first step would be to visually check the board for damaged traces, burnt components. if it looks ok then i would remove the caps and check the lead ports for signs of damage or too much heat. (i think its difficult to tell though). then you could try recapping the board with some other caps. If none of that works then you will have to test the circuits of the board.

pls advise guys, i am not very familiar with circuit testing.

Comment

why are you sorry Yanz? you are doing a great job. we need someone to collect this data.
                      thanks for the compliment and encouraging me guys, it just that my chart is incomplete and was designed only for my self. i will complete it in the future and maybe can make some use for this forums. i hope someday the badcaps forum will make some ultimate chart/specification of good capasitor..

BTW, is that a Kaspersky bug you are holding? Dude, crush it!
                      it is from mcafee, iirc its from version 4 or 5... i make it with irfanview capture utility.. it was my first avatar from another forum (3/4 years ago) but i dont use it anymore, they are good old days when i catch CIH or macro viruses with this mcafee (win9xme version). when i see people here have their own avatar i feel i need one too ok that's the story..

Under availability in your chart: does this mean that you can obtain them in your local area? Given the cheap prices you have quoted in the past, I was even considering placing an order with you!
                      yes, and it is in a good quantity. lucky me.. but they are only for a specific capacitance.. for example : the mbz, the availability is only for 1500uF 10v. i can't find 2200uf or 1000uf ones. it was strange that any 1500uF 6.3v (kzg), 10v, 15v, 25v from all manufacturer almost have the same price.. obviusly the shops here didn't know what they will get from the main supplier (singapore).. they only know that it will be originally japan or taiwan/korea... the mbz and kzg is only Rp. 1500 ($1 = ~Rp. 9000) = $0,25 and so the FC 3300uf is about $ 0,45. you want to order from me? i don't know, but of course if it will help you i will do it..

sulbert: i wast trying to recapping 2 caps near the agp slot of my abit kt7 with chemicon sxe (better than kmg) and it won't post. also i try the sanyo (S.E.08 ?) which didn't fix the situation. i try the mbz and kzg and both are success..

for else, i agree with what willawake said...

Comment

Working...
                      X