Toshiba TV low voltage on PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba TV low voltage on PSU

Hi all. Just managed to diagnose a toshiba regza 40 inch power problem that resulted in no picture and no sound. Was checking throughout the voltages and noticed 12v and 24v was very low with load. Knew some caps popped somewhere. Started checking all the caps and noticed the main 2 filter caps was leaking. Went to parts store, didnt manage to get the exact same size which is the long type according to the picture but got a bigger one instead and with same uf and v which is 68uf 450v. Soldered it and tested the unit, works perfectly fine.

But have 1 problem here. I am hearing a eeeeeeee buzzing sound near the caps or the transformer. But the unit works fine. What can be wrong? Can i use a bigger size capacitor or i have to use the same exact size?

According to the picture, the long black one is the faulty cap and the short fat one is the new caps.

Note : There was no buzzing sound before replacing the new cap. After replacing cap theres buzzing sound.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-05-2018, 08:51 AM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Re: Toshiba TV low voltage on PSU

Once you have the space to accommodate the bigger e-caps that wouldn't be a problem as they are the same uF and WV as the original. Reflow the transformer pins onto the PCB sometimes while handling they develop fine cracks that can produce buzzing sounds. Look too at the other heavy solder connections on the PCB, heat sinks, etc. The buzzing sound though is not a problem though. Unless it is loud and unbearable.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
      Once you have the space to accommodate the bigger e-caps that wouldn't be a problem as they are the same uF and WV as the original. Reflow the transformer pins onto the PCB sometimes while handling they develop fine cracks that can produce buzzing sounds. Look too at the other heavy solder connections on the PCB, heat sinks, etc. The buzzing sound though is not a problem though. Unless it is loud and unbearable.
      It is quite noticeable. quite sharp beeping.

Comment

Did you do the re-flow? That buzzing most likely is off the Transformer and other Coils.
        Last edited by Andrew F. Ali; 02-28-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Yes i did. Still same. The thing is, the sound wasnt there with the old cap. Only started with the new cap. Afraid something to do with the size of the cap. Maybe its too big? Overloading? But the voltage and value is same.

Comment

Then you should not have a problem. No overloading and nothing to do with the size.Tighten ALL hold down screws on the PCBs. There is something loose. Perhaps the cap is resting on something and vibrating. I don't have photos, neither is the PSU in front of me and I don't know if this is a CRT, LCD, LED or Plasma TV or size of TV we are dealing with. Unless the Transformer core is broken/cracked.

Comment

Its a toshiba rega led tv, slim series. So basically ure saying, it doesnt really matter whatever size the capacitor is aslong as its the correct value. Right?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Manage to replace original caps at a very affordable cost. However, the transformer still giving a high pitch sound. Its the Ac transformer, not the DC. U can actually see it in the first post photo. The yellow color. The sound is definitely coming from it. But no problem with all the voltages, all accurate. Already soldered all the cold joints. Still no change. TV is working perfectly fine now. Just the sound.

When i put my ears really close to the pitching sound, it sounds like more coming near the capacitor. Also with the high pitch sound, i hear a faded tuner sound. Of course i had unplugged all the speakers. The sound coming from the marked area.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-05-2018, 08:51 AM. Reason: Offsite image uploaded

Comment

If you re-read my Post Nos. 2 and 4 I spoke about the transformers...Took you really long to finally agree that the buzzing sound is coming from there. OK so you changed the e-caps to the ' original' ones. Did it make a difference?? NO....And you re-soldered the transformer legs and all the heat sinks attached to the board. What is it then exactly you want?

Comment

The sound, its very annoying though. Here let me give u a youtube video of how it sounds like.

https://youtu.be/FcniCVgOJL0?t=165

Skip to 2.45

Comment

That is the inductor for the PFC Voltage booster circuit, the buzz can be cause by bad PFC controller IC.
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                          That is the inductor for the PFC Voltage booster circuit, the buzz can be cause by bad PFC controller IC.
                          I tried finding for the service manual but no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                            But the TV is working perfectly fine. Every voltages are accurate. Its just that im afraid this noise IN TIME will kill other components due to a short or something. If u close the cover, you can still hear the noise from outside though. Could it be the ac capacitor?

Comment

Ok my friend gave me a similar board and i replaced the transformer, still same with the sound. Changed the capacitor as well. Same sound. Now my only solution is to replace the PFC controller IC and see if that solves it as suggested by budm.

Question. Do i short the PS ON with ground to test voltages? Cause i want to test it standalone without main board help.

Comment

Why would you want to test the PSU stand alone?...it would only tell you what you already know...that is PSU developing all the voltages to work the TV. As BUDM suggests the buzz could be due to a bad PFC controller IC. I would suggest you replace this before attempting to do anything that may wreck your PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
                                  Why would you want to test the PSU stand alone?...it would only tell you what you already know...that is PSU developing all the voltages to work the TV. As BUDM suggests the buzz could be due to a bad PFC controller IC. I would suggest you replace this before attempting to do anything that may wreck your PSU.
                                  The main reason i wanted to do that was i wanted to know if the main board is triggering the psu to make that noise due to voltage or something. So thats why i wanted to start up the psu without the main pcb and see if the noise is there. Yes, im gonna swap the PFC IC and try. Keeping my fingers crossed that its the PFC thats giving the problem. Will update here once i swapped it.

Comment

I don't think the Main Bd can cause the PSU to make noises. The Main Bd generate signals to turn on the PSU, turn on the BL, Dimming control, LVDS and send power to the T-CON Bd from the PSU or Main Bd itself.

Comment

That noise is likely caused by oscillation of the feedback loop of that controller IC. It could be by (poor) design and throwing parts at it will not fix it - understanding what goes on and modifying the circuit slightly to get rid of the oscillation, will. Some power supplies just whine from the day they were born. If it gives the correct voltage output and the ripple is in spec, a lot of times they will let them go like that.

Control loop theory is unfortunately complicated, even I do not understand it fully, but if you give me a schematic i can try to figure out where you could start.

The good news is that it will likely not cause any issue in the long run, it is just audibly annoying and that's it.
                                      Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 03-13-2018, 02:53 PM.
                                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I just replaced the PFC IC from the other faulty board, looks like the other one is faulty as well but no noise, just blinking standby red LED. I fixed back the original PFC, the noise is there. Ive ordered a new PFC which is FAN7530. Oh well, we shall see what happens when i replace the new one.

Comment

Working...
                                        X