Gateway Performance 1500CS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway Performance 1500CS

I have a system on Bench Gateway ATXSTF MNT Performance 1500CS with MFG Date of 8/29/01. It shows all the signs of Capacitor Plague, but no physical Signs. Also the Caps appear different then Most Commonly Seen.
    Even Smaller Diameter and Shorter. Main Board Appears to be MIC.
    Other Identifing marks E210882.
    Also Bar Code Label ABGB13305943 AA A49507-904
    Another Label Possibly S/N: 4000762
    Caps are Purple in color, about 6mm in diameter instead of 8mm and about 10mm Tall. Have not removed MB from system yet, so I cannot makeout markings. ON the Negetive Stripe there is an SP and it would appear to have temperature rating of 105°C Cap Mfg looks to be Sanyo ???.
    Capacitance and Voltage Does Not appear in format usually seen.
    Does anyone have any experiance with this system or MOBO?
    Does anyone have good method of testing or troubleshooting to determine if this is capacitor Plague, or something else.
    Power Supply is testing good on PSU Tester.
    My Port 80 Post Card is not revealing any issues.
    Any time system gets stressed Boot to windows, or checkit in extended memory tests or HD test system either hangs or reboots without revealing a fault.

Any insight would be helpfull.
    If need be I can pull MOBO and try to get pictures and more details if it would help ID caps.

Re: Gateway Performance 1500CS

sanyo oscon sp series

It shows all the signs of Capacitor Plague
    what is it doing exactly
    did you open up the psu yet?

should check hdd
    and memory
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I did not Open PSU, it tested good with New Digital PSU Tester.
      System will set in CMOS Setup Screen Forever, but if I try to boot to Windows XP it gets to Splash screen Flashes a Blue Screen really fast and reboots. In Checkit if I run basic tests it will run for Days. If I try and do Heavy Duty Memory or HD tests it either freezes up (Most Times) or Reboots (Sometimes).
      It seems like it is getting worse, initailly had bad or missing file errors in C:\windows\system32...blah...blah...blah.
      Have tested numerous ways and if testing is not processor intensive runs fine.
      Caps are Sanyo and 105 Degree. In Line with Temp ratingis a 37, in the location that usually has voltage and capacitance rating there is a 560 a line with a 4 under the line like a fraction.
      Have also tried testing with all Cards, (Modem Etc.) removed. Just AGP Video card for Video display.
      Also per customer they were experiancing BOD's and lockups then we had ice storm that took out power lines and caused lots of power issues in this region.
      When customers power was restored system would not boot, either gave bad or missing file message or would just get to splash screen and quick bluescreen and reboot.

Comment

bet the psu is bad.
        pop the lid and have a look.
        i have yet to see any bad sanyo polymers.
        try memtest86+ to test the ram.

Comment

OK Opened PSU, other than a bit dusty looked great for age.
          No Caps with Blow Out swelling etc. no signs of overheating.
          Hooken PSU back to mainboard and Drives and tried to boot MEMTEST from Floppy.
          Memtest started to load and system rebooted.
          This time memtest loaded and began to run, Error counter showed lots of errors then system froze. tried to reboot and now no video and no post.
          If I remove RAM it beeps but that is all.
          Will power off and let it sit over night and try again in am and see how it behaves.

Comment

I would opt fpr Cmos reset, reconfiguration of memory timings and may be it is all what it needs.
            i don`t belive in defecttivve Sanyo polymer caps. Try it with a known good psu.
            Nex replace memory.

Comment

Can you hook up a DMM to the ATX connector then boot-up the system whilst keeping an eye on the voltage(s), alternatively pull the RAM and either test it individually OR in a different issue free PC

It is also possible that the PC has been bumped around a little? this being the case it may prove prudent to check the heatsink/CPU interface as it may have dislodged slightly and/or reduced the effectiveness of the thermal pad/paste... while we're on the subject, just how are the system temps (via BIOS)?

I agree with gonzo', loading setup defaults in the boards' BIOS wouldn't hurt
              Last edited by tazwegion; 03-15-2007, 05:43 PM.
              Viva LA Retro!

Comment

The first thing before anything else to check temperatures and voltages in BIOS health display of course. Hitting down arrow forces faster refresh helpful when working out the range of fluctuation of all voltages. Write down the minimum and maximum voltages you see on each voltage.

If you continue to fail reaching post, try PCI graphic card.
                Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Working...
                X