Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WinXP: Howto hide mouse pointer when no mouse connected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WinXP: Howto hide mouse pointer when no mouse connected?

Hi, I upgraded 2x Fanuc CNC's from NT4 & Win2K to Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 (Basically WinXP SP3, same build number and all)

They work great and performance is super.
    I just have one question; on the previous NT4 & Win2K installs,
    when I removed the PS/2 mouse & keyboard from the system they would then not show a mouse pointer on system startup anymore.
    But XP does, so there is a mouse pointer in the middle of the screen I can't move now...

I've done allot of Googling and can't find a solution I really like.
    Examples I have seen: Use a mouse cursor icon with only one pixel or completely invisible.
    Remove the mouse drivers from the system.

Solutions that are close to what I want:
    nomousy.exe - A small utility designed to hide and/or restrict mouse cursor movement.
    AutoHideMouseCursor 1.42 Automatically hide the mouse cursor

The first two I dislike because if you add a mouse to the system for maintenance it gets very difficult to use.
    The second two are good, however I'd prefer a solution which does not require a third party program taking up memory
    (these systems only have 128MB RAM) to solve an issue which was not there in Win2K & NT4!
    Do any of our Arcade gurus have some experience with this?
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 11-30-2012, 03:10 PM.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Re: WinXP: Howto hide mouse pointer when no mouse connected?

Maybe give this one a try? http://cursor-hider.soft32.com/

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation but it seems to cost money, so then the other two programs are probably better...
      http://www.cursorhider.com/

I just double checked yesterday and a vanilla Windows XP SP3 has the same behavior, as does Windows 7 SP1
      It is "fixed" in Windows 8 tho
      (I.e. no mouse cursor shown with no mouse connected)
      Last edited by Per Hansson; 12-01-2012, 06:22 AM.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Disable the mouse in Device Manager ?

Comment

mariushm: There is no mouse to disable since I removed it from the system.
          And if I disabled the hidden mouse device it would be a pain to re-enable if I want to connect a mouse for service...

Comment

I'm using AutoHideMouseCursor v1.51 now.
            This version works well, I reported an issue the program had when explorer.exe was not running as shell.
            The author fixed it surprisingly fast with that version update

Comment

Or, you could hack up a program that would do that automatically, like you want
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

not to get off topic, but i thought is was bad to connect/disconnect ps/2 while the pc was powered. mikee confused.....
                "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

Originally posted by stretch0069 View Post
                  not to get off topic, but i thought is was bad to connect/disconnect ps/2 while the pc was powered. mikee confused.....
                  Connect: usually bad.Some motherboards really don't like hot-unplugging the keyboard ( ?). On the other hand, some laptops will auto-detect and enable anything hot-plugged on PS/2.

Disconnect: Try not to do it, but if it happens, no harm, no foul. On systems that won't , a reconnect will usually re-enable the device.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by stretch0069 View Post
                    I'm not hotplugging the PS/2 devices.
                    The system shows the mouse pointer when I coldboot it again with no mouse connected.
                    And yes, it is bad to hotplug PS/2 devices, I especially won't do it on CNC gear costing thousands of dollars

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                    Or, you could hack up a program that would do that automatically, like you want
                    I'm not a programmer but AutoHideMouseCursor does what I want.
                    I only wish it was not a requirement, like in NT4, Win2K & Win8...
                    Last edited by Per Hansson; 12-29-2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

thanks gents.....i thought i was crazy......well......
                      "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                      AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

Without using extra software, you can also replace the mouse cursor with a clear cursor file.

Control panel -> Mouse -> Pointers

Select "Normal Select" then browse to the transparent cursor.

Here's one I whipped up:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36807119/transparent.cur

Disclaimer: This can be really annoying to undo.

{ETA: I missed the bit about "mouse for maintenance," but I don't have the option to delete this post, so I'll let it stand in hopes it does someone some good}
                        Last edited by Blargh523; 12-29-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X