Server 2008 Standard as a Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server 2008 Standard as a Workstation

With XP going EOL next month, I decided it was time to move on (sadly).....but it's time. I remember when Win2k went EOL, it became a malware disaster for any system that had live IP's it seemed. I still have a couple XP systems going, but all my mainstream systems have said goodbye to it.....so what to replace it with?! HMMMM....

Ok, lets review....and think back for a minute. NT had server and workstation editions, so I always ran 'workstation' on the workstations. Windows 2000 had server versions and 'professional', which was their workstation versions.......and were truly the last of the greats for workstation-based OS's. Then came XP and server 2003. Server 2003 was radically improved over Win2k Server, and XP was a freight train, but there was still the separation between the two, the introduction of activation, and also began the drastic 'dumbing down' on the consumer level (winXP). Windows Vista and 7 are dumbed down even more, and also more invasive. Win8/8.1, no way, no how, will never use it, EVER!!!

So what about server 2008? It's out there in no-mans land it seems....and I recently scored a VLK copy of 2008 R1 and R2 (not really much difference between them). It is also very 'hot-roddable', all the eye-candy and dumbed down nonsense is missing, its clean/simple.....by default, everything is OFF until you turn it on. I've spent a week tweaking on it, and I'm now sold. sitting idle, it uses 700mb RAM, which is actually less than XP did on my main system. It's a little trickier to get things to work than say 7, vista, or even XP....but it felt nice to stay completely in the drivers seat with my system....and you all know me anyway, I have to be different, I will never conform to what 'everyone else' is using! It's well supported in hardware and programs and will be supported by MS till 2020....the only casualty of this was my 15yr old scanner, I could not find a working driver for it ANYWHERE!!! bastards! It is completely unsupported by anything newer than XP.

This thread is more of an FYI and a written reference for anyone (or even myself) later on. In the process of tweaking it, I discovered I certainly wasn't the first to try this....some dude created a site with a nice list of tweaks and fixes. I had the gameux.dll issue, and found the solution here......

http://www.win2008workstation.com/

That's all for now.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Server 2008 Standard as a Workstation

700mb idle? jebus!
    well its better than server 2008 hyper-v that uses 1gb idle with no desktop.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Server 2012 R1 can have Metro enabled and sit on the desktop using 500 megs of ram. One advantage about Windows Server is stock it uses damn near no ram.

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
        Server 2012 R1 can have Metro......
        ...thats the reason why I didn't touch it....ick. Why in the name of hideous would MS do that tiles crap on a Server OS?! ...but yea, only the essentials are running on server editions....no frills, no eye candy, and a clean running kernel. Gotta love it....its just not as friendly to initially configure.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I used to do the same, never got on with XP and stuck with server 2000 ghen 2003 as my primary OS all the way up to Vista.

I got Vista with my action pack sub and, despite its problems, got along ok with it though I did switch to 7 as soon as possible!

I resented being forced into upgrading hardware by win95 to such an extent that I've kept my main PC ahead of the requirements by a good margin ever since (hence why I have 16GB of RAM in my desktop machine now)

Comment

Originally posted by Elysarian View Post
            I resented being forced into upgrading hardware by win95 to such an extent that I've kept my main PC ahead of the requirements by a good margin ever since (hence why I have 16GB of RAM in my desktop machine now)
            Running an 8 core system with 24gb....it would take something pretty horrid to suck the life out of that!!

FWIW, Aero works with S2K8 with a little persuasion (you have to manually enable it), and it runs nicer on S2K8 than it ever seemed to run on 7 for me. I was never a fan of aero back in the day....but on newer stuff, it is a lot faster than even the boring classic shell look.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Running an 8 core system with 24gb....it would take something pretty horrid to suck the life out of that!!

FWIW, Aero works with S2K8 with a little persuasion (you have to manually enable it), and it runs nicer on S2K8 than it ever seemed to run on 7 for me. I was never a fan of aero back in the day....but on newer stuff, it is a lot faster than even the boring classic shell look.
              you got mw beat on RAM there (I'm also running 8 cores) - I have 16GB on my win8.1 rig (I did have a play with 2k8r2 for desktop use but decided the licence was better off being used to run SQL server 2012 on another box, my webserver box only has 2k3 on there because it's got a pair of 32-bit s604 Xeons in it).

in case you're wondering why I haven't got linux on them it's simply because I develop for MS SQL server and .Net.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                700mb idle? jebus!
                Yeah, I was going to say, 700 MB is quite a bit. Vista 32-bit behaves very nicely even with 1 GB. Windows 7 starter (yeah, I know...) as well.

Then again, I'm still pushing XP on systems with 1 GB or less (for myself only, of course). Still having a hard time running out of RAM if the system has 1 GB. XP with Automatic Updates and all of the useless crap disabled is one damn stingy bastard when it comes to memory usage. This oldschool P3 laptop uses 90 MB or less on a cold boot. Whaaaaat?!!

Originally posted by Topcat
                ...than even the boring classic shell look.
                Boring?! It's a shell... just meant to get your around. The more efficiently it does it, the better. Classic delivers that just fine without any BS. I can't stand the Aero crap stuff, and especially taskbar and tray area grouping. IMO, that thing drops productivity faster than a big ass boat anchor.

But if I ever do really really get forced to move from XP, I might try Server 2008 just to see what you are talking about. (Now as far as obtaining a license.... I'll worry about that when I get to it).
                Last edited by momaka; 03-02-2014, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  Boring?! It's a shell... just meant to get your around. The more efficiently it does it, the better. Classic delivers that just fine without any BS. I can't stand the Aero crap stuff, and especially taskbar and tray area grouping. IMO, that thing drops productivity faster than a big ass boat anchor.

But if I ever do really really get forced to move from XP, I might try Server 2008 just to see what you are talking about. (Now as far as obtaining a license.... I'll worry about that when I get to it).
                  look like they are trying to get windows explorer to act like KDE to me.... you know, since you can configure KDE
                  Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                    look like they are trying to get windows explorer to act like KDE to me.... you know, since you can configure KDE
                    In classic shell form (which is what I use), its the same as XP. Clean and simple. When Themes or Aero are on, thats when its become a pain in the ass.

That's why I went this route, the cleanliness/simplicity/look of XP but still supported and it is faster.....I have to admit that.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      Yeah, I was going to say, 700 MB is quite a bit. Vista 32-bit behaves very nicely even with 1 GB. Windows 7 starter (yeah, I know...) as well.

Then again, I'm still pushing XP on systems with 1 GB or less (for myself only, of course). Still having a hard time running out of RAM if the system has 1 GB. XP with Automatic Updates and all of the useless crap disabled is one damn stingy bastard when it comes to memory usage. This oldschool P3 laptop uses 90 MB or less on a cold boot. Whaaaaat?!!
                      On my computer, Windows 7 uses 1.2GB of RAM immediately after booting, and the RAM usage increases to 1.8GB after a few hours. I don't even have to run any programs during that time to get it to use that much RAM. My computer already sucks, but using more than 1.9GB of RAM makes it even slower. It has 4GB of RAM, and it's such a piece of junk that it isn't worth upgrading the RAM.

I can't get any relatively modern OS (even Windows XP) to use 90MB of RAM. Windows 98 will use 90MB of RAM if the computer only has 128MB.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                        On my computer, Windows 7 uses 1.2GB of RAM immediately after booting, and the RAM usage increases to 1.8GB after a few hours. I don't even have to run any programs during that time to get it to use that much RAM. My computer already sucks, but using more than 1.9GB of RAM makes it even slower. It has 4GB of RAM, and it's such a piece of junk that it isn't worth upgrading the RAM.
                        S2K8 uses 700-ish right after boot. Once I've done things with it or its been on a few days, the idle RAM usage is about 1.1~1.3GB The system has 24GB. This is using the classic shell, and all the eye candy stuff off....but I really don't see those things causing it mass memory usage.

I can honestly say I do not miss XP.... There were 2 issues from this, as I mentioned above, my 15+ year old scanner won't work anymore (I've had it 15 years, and it was used when I got it....I really don't know how old it is). The second issue, my old ass version of Nero Burning Rom (version 6.3.xx) will absolutely not run on this OS at all....but I knew that was coming, it won't run on 7 either....so I need to dig up a new favorite CD/DVD mastering program that makes ISO's too...
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

The biggest issue is that some software will refuse to run on it, for no good reason other than version pre-checks.
                          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                            The biggest issue is that some software will refuse to run on it, for no good reason other than version pre-checks.
                            can't you change that string to report something else?

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                              I haven't really ran into that issue yet, except with my defrag utility....but thats only because they want me to buy their more expensive 'server edition'...
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                I haven't really ran into that issue yet, except with my defrag utility....but thats only because they want me to buy their more expensive 'server edition'...
                                That's typical of defraggers from big companies.

JKDefrag is the best you can get!
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                  That's typical of defraggers from big companies.

JKDefrag is the best you can get!
                                  Yup, that did the trick, thanks.

I guess it was busy for "update Tuesday" from MS this week....S2K8 got SP2....why didn't they do this shit 2 weeks ago, it'd have saved me a ton of downloading......

Also tried Roxio 10.2 (something I had on hand) to replace my dysfunctional version of Nero. Looks like it'll be just fine.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

I've never had issues with infrarecorder and auslogics on windoze... but I also don't have W2k8. They are both free though...
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                      I've never had issues with infrarecorder and auslogics on windoze... but I also don't have W2k8. They are both free though...
                                      I doubt Auslogics will ever be as good as JKDefrag! JKDefrag is KISS!
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I don't care how you put it, Windows XP is Windows XP, and anything that came after it -- isn't Windows XP. Windows XP in itself was barely tolerable over Windows 2000, so I consider your post to be self-rationalization rather than describing a legitimate a method of adaptation.

Vista/7/Server 2008 UI (Whatever you want to call it), is simply counterintuitive, period. That means to say, things have been changed that make simple tasks very difficult to do. XP serves all the basic needs, whereas later Windows versions lack basic features found in previous versions such as a basic on-demand search GUI (Indexed searches doesn't count, it's practically worthless. In fact, I turn off indexing on all my Windows 7 machines to minimize unecessary HDD seeking).

Furthermore, I see no need for these pointless end of the world doomsday XP EOL Support threads. As has been mentioned here a million times, XP 32 will be supported for many many more years through an obscure version used in POS/Kiosk systems. XP 64 will be supported until July 14, 2015 by way of Server 2003 updates (And there is already someone who is offering 2003 updates for XP64 - because they are basically the same OS).

Finally, even if XP is no longer receiving security updates, it doesn't render the OS not functional. As long as you're behind some sort of firewall and you have a basic background monitoring antivirus, you're safe. If you need to open up files that you think might be suspicious, do it in a VM like Virtualbox. If you need to work on extraordinarily large files or projects that require more than 3.25GB of RAM, use XP 64.

For office use, nothing beats Windows XP + Office 2003. Windows Vista and its derivatives shine on particular types of systems but they are not meant for office use, period.
                                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
                                        X