Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the F***K are these guys doing to these cards?!?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the F***K are these guys doing to these cards?!?!?!?

I have been working as a PC tech for over 6 years now, been into computers for a lot longer but have never seen anything like this in my life...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...s-thread/page2
    Keep scrolling down and you'll notice them

I see extra capacitors and wires poking out of these cards all over the place. Probably some over voltage ultra overclocking mod or something but I'm baffled by this. Can any1 give me some more info on this thing???
    Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Re: What the F***K are these guys doing to these cards?!?!?!?

That's what R&D boards end up looking like.
    Anyone remember what that rubbery black glue/coating stuff is called?
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Don't think they're R&D cards... I think those would have extra pads for metal needles to test various parts and they'd have additional connectors like those for Crossfire/SLI on top.

I see voltage regulator mods - they kill the hardwired maximum voltage setting and enable some higher voltages which would kill the gpu chip without proper cooling in a few minutes.

Connected to the wires are micro potentiometers, for fine tuning the voltage output of the switching power supply on the video card

Other than that, I see larger chokes (inductors) and extra capacitors for the extra power consumption.

The black stuff... epoxy or liquid electrical tape like this one?

Comment

So experimenting isn't Research?
        Could have fooled me....
        No that stuff isn't it.
        I guess neither is the stuff in the photo because what I'm thinking of isn't shinny and is for EMI.
        It looks more like the black undercoating on a car.
        I first ran across it on a $30,000 card [in 1980's dollars] when I was in the Navy and I've never known the name of it.
        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 02-10-2012, 09:15 PM.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

More capacitors means more stable voltages which can result in better overclocking. The capacitors must be close so the engineers pepper the area right behind the chips. There isn't much room so they use as big of ceramics as they can get to fit. The experimenters find the caps with the largest ripple and add big ones to stabilize.

What the experimenters don't know is that a half inch of lead or more renders the addon cap useless.
          sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
            What the experimenters don't know is that a half inch of lead or more renders the addon cap useless.
            Not totally useless but it does raise ESR.
            I measured a .010 to .020 ohm rise [worsening] at 3/4" on an assortment of caps.
            Didn't matter what kind or brand of cap.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

The trimmer pots are there to tweak voltages.
              The kind of electronics I worked on had those things everywhere.
              I'M A TWEAKER!

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

I would never do this to a card... I would kill to get a single 5870 and they are killing them all over the place. I bet those cards don't last for very long. Found some stuff about motherboard volt modding after I posted the topic here. I even saw one of them using car polish instead of thermal paste on the next page, I wonder how well that works.
                Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

Those electrolytics glued on with the black goop look like GP and not low ESR... although I see a few Panasonics there.

Comment

When I pointed out they are experimenting I didn't mean to imply they aren't clueless.
                    They appear to be the average gamer type that knows just enough about electronics to be dangerous.
                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 02-11-2012, 06:19 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

I have done these kind of mods to cards but not in many years. now that i a married and older with a kid i just don't have the money to burn if i kill a high end card anymore. So I understand it but will not jump into it again

Comment

Jesus Christ....
                        Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

thats a couple of dollars worth laying on that bench. I would rather drive a nice car then have a fast computer that i barely utilize the power on.

Comment

That looks like heaven to me, but if I had all those high-end graphics cards I'd have them all in anti-static bags to keep them safe.
                            My gaming PC:
                            AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                            ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                            PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                            G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                            TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                            WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                            ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                            Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                            Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                            Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                            Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2 View Post
                              That looks like heaven to me, but if I had all those high-end graphics cards I'd have them all in anti-static bags to keep them safe.
                              I'll put money on that theya re all probably dead.
                              I know someone who swims in money because he's IT and goes through high-end cards like cheap matches because he's always screwing up the overclocking and burning them out.
                              Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X