Sony XR-77A80K 5 Red Blinks Troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony XR-77A80K 5 Red Blinks Troubleshooting

Hi everyone! I am a new member and am new to electronics repair. I have a background in electrical engineering, but little experience in electronics.

I have a Sony XR-77A80K which will not turn on and has 5 blinking red lights in the stand-by light. I had previously done a forced factory reset, which removed the error code, and the TV regained functionality for a few weeks. I repeated the factory reset and again regained functionality. This happened a few times until I so I had to begin troubleshooting the error.

Observations:
    1) I noticed I was not getting the 12V TCON ON signal at the harness location on the PSU, nor and signal at the TCON.
    2) I noticed when I unplugged the top-right LVDS ribbon the error went away, the TV would boot without the display. I can audibly hear that I was able to navigate the menu
    3)I tested unplugging the ribbons from the TCON to the OLED panel (both, or one) and this did not have an effect
    4) I was getting 3.3 V at the STDBY on the PSU and Mainboard with or without error occuring

I ordered a replacement part package that included a replacement PSU, Mainboard, and TCON Board, with new ribbons (No new harnesses though)

I installed the new T-CON, and no change. I tried a FW update via USB, but could not get the procedure to begin and would only continue to get the 5-blinking red lights

I repeated these with a new PSU & new Mainboard and every assortment of new and used parts, but none led to any noticeable difference in operation

So, I am at my wit's end on this; From my perspective, the issue is either that the error is not allowing the mainboard/TCON to pair. And, one of the components is malfunctioning. (So, I am now focused on trying to get the new TCON to pair with the new mainboard)

Or, the issue lies with the OLED panel; however, there does not seem to be a change in operation when I unplug one of both of the ribbons that connect to the panel. Unfourtanetly the design of the panel frame does not allow inspection f the panel board.

Does anyone have any thoughts, further troubleshooting steps, or ideas?

Please let me know if there is any more information you require to assist in diagnosing this problem
    Attached Files

Re: Sony XR-77A80K 5 Red Blinks Troubleshooting

So, I have continued to try and get the mainboard and TCON to pair with a firmware update, but have not been able to get the update to start.

I downloaded "sony_atvotafull_2020_1607240100_naa_auth.zip" from the Sony website, and unzipped tit o get sony_dtv0FA80A0CA0AC_00004300_16082401000826.zip"

There is no PKG file. I placed the zip file into the root folder of an empty 4GB FAT32 USB Drive. But, the TV never enters update mode.

I've tried factory resetting the tv, but it did not help the situation.

I also tried renaming the file "upgrade_loader.zip", but that also did not help.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Maybe try a different usb drive, 4gb or less, sonys can be pretty finicky.

Comment

Okay, I tried with a 2 GB drive as well, but the same issue. I do notice that some folders are put onto the USB drive after I've put it in the TV. I'm not sure if that has any relevance.

I will keep trying, somethings got to make it work

Comment

You also need to extract the file in sony_dtv0FA80A0CA0AC_00004300_16082401000826.zip"
          4.Extract the downloaded file to a location on your computer you can easily find.

Note: After you extract the downloaded file, you will find another zip file (sony_dtvxxxxx_xxxx_xxxxxx.zip).
          It should extract to a folder named sony_dtv0FA80A0CA0AC_00004300_16072401000826, inside the folder will be the files to copy to the usb drive
          Attached Files
          Last edited by R_J; 08-11-2023, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your help. I got the update to begin; the white light blinked for about ten seconds and then stopped. After that TV was turned off, did not seem to be doing anything, and never restarted. I let it for a few hours and then turned the TV on to find the original error still occurred. I did a forced factory reset, repeated the FW update process, and had the same thing happen again.

There is still 0V at the TCON 12V ON, TCON EVDD, & VDD.

The Reg 12V does recieve 12V, and the STBY reveives 3.1V

I tried unplugging the left LVDS ribbon connecting the TCON to the panel and doing a forced factory reset (FFR)to see if that cleared the error. But no luck. I repeated for the right LVDS, did the FFR, and again no luck. I also tried the same with both TCON-Panel LVDS disconnected. Again no change.

Currently, I am repeatedly performing FFR as that has worked in the past, as I am out of ideas for what to look at next.

Comment

Wonder if it's yet another emmc chip gone bad.

Comment

I was wondering this as well after reading the recent thread where the issue was solved by swapping the EMCC from the old mainboard to the new one. This issue would be going beyond my knowledge level.

Would you (or anyone) have an idea how I can test the EMCC, without swapping the units?

I did this buy the second main board from a reputable supplier. And, if I cannot solve the issue, I can return the board for 80% of the cost. So, if possible I would like to have some testing/evidence before I try swapping the chips
                Last edited by Dogindelusion; 08-15-2023, 12:17 AM.

Comment

I have not dove too deep into that pool but some of the members have.

Comment

does this still work ?

2) I noticed when I unplugged the top-right LVDS ribbon the error went away, the TV would boot without the display. I can audibly hear that I was able to navigate the menu

Comment

Yes, this works with both mainboards

Comment

Update: I am not sure if this means anything to anyone reading this, who may be able to advise the next steps. But I have disconnected the main board and jumpered power on, TCON ON, and EVDD On to the standby 3.3 volt and was able to receive 12 volts TCON Vin, 24 V at EVDD, and the panel lit up with white horizontal lines across the entire display.

I then removed the jumpers and plugged the main board back in, but still the same issue

Edit: I forgot to mention, the 5 red blinks stopped, and I am not certain of what initiated the change. Now, the TV boots without the display, and I can navigate the menu via audio regardless of whether the LVDS wire is plugged in.
                        Last edited by Dogindelusion; 08-20-2023, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Can you post a picture of the white lines.

Comment

Huh, so I connected it the same way again this time and instead of white lines over black, the screen was illuminated
                            Attached Files

Comment

UPDATE: I found that there's a short in the panel, as the right side. LVDS ribbon is getting very hot when I jump her the t-con to illuminate the panel.

After running for a few minutes the panel shut down, and I haven't been able to get it back on so it might be done for. Or potentially will turn back on when it cools.

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on repairing a short in the panel module? Or if this is a point where I finish up?

Unfortunately, the design of this panel, does not allow me access to the panel module. The only access I have is pictured in the image I've attached. Would anyone know if it is possible to safely remove the actual panel from the internal back piece? It appears to be glued, or just stuck in. There's no screws or anything I can easily remove.
                              Attached Files

Comment

have u checked thos visible caps for shorts u might get lucky and its one of those.

Comment

Working...
                                X